• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Justin - please report: what does it have that we haven't heard from Horner in subsequent scores?

Edit. Fuck this.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. I actually didn't mean it in a humourous sense. (Thanks Pawel.) If I want to buy it, what am I getting? I try not to jump on every limited edition just for the sake of it. You obviously know the score. So tell me - what has it got that would be good for someone who already knows the work of James Horner quite well?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    I'm not familiar with either the film or the score. Listening to the sound-clips didn't make a great impression on me (mostly tension/creepy music) so I guess I will pass on this one. But, of course, I can still change my mind if somebody who knows the score well can convince me about its greatness...

Edit: Of course, I talk about Something Wicked This Way Comes
  4. Intrada releases

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 95
    Date: 1983
    Tracks: 11
    Time = 45:05

At last! World premiere of highly-requested James Horner soundtrack for Walt Disney fantasy from Ray Bradbury classic, directed by Jack Clayton, starring Jason Robards, Jonathan Pryce, Pam Grier. James Horner writes incredibly effective horror score with meld of spooky menace, sheer terror! Music for Mr. Dark & approaching carnival in small town at turn of the century is unusually evocative. In rich contrast is memorable, nostalgic Americana theme for boyhood elements of fantastic tale. Soaring major-key waltz melody remains one of composer's finest inspirations; final moment when wistful idea plays in harmonica is simply divine! Intrada proudly presents score in dynamic stereo, mixed from mint condition original digital master elements for first time ever! James Horner & his customary engineer Simon Rhodes personally produce spectacular album for Intrada with maximum listening pleasure in mind, just as they would for major label. Results are one of composer's richest albums! James Horner conducts. Intrada Special Collection Volume 95 limited to 3000 copies!

01. Main Title 6:46
    02. Dark’s Pandemonium Carnival 4:27
    03. The Carousel 4:34
    04. Miss Foley in the Mirror 4:51
    05. The Boys Buy a Lightening Rod 3:25
    06. The Library 6:51
    07. Side Show 1:58
    08. Discovered 3:45
    09. The Spiders 3:24
    10. Magic Window 2:15
    11. End Titles 2:45
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    Sold out already?

franz_conrad wrote
    I actually didn't mean it in a humourous sense. (Thanks Pawel.) If I want to buy it, what am I getting? I try not to jump on every limited edition just for the sake of it. You obviously know the score. So tell me - what has it got that would be good for someone who already knows the work of James Horner quite well?

I want to know as well.
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    Sold out already?

franz_conrad wrote
    I actually didn't mean it in a humourous sense. (Thanks Pawel.) If I want to buy it, what am I getting? I try not to jump on every limited edition just for the sake of it. You obviously know the score. So tell me - what has it got that would be good for someone who already knows the work of James Horner quite well?

I want to know as well.

nope not sold out
    quite the contrary I think

It would be a shame that this score would be sold out and his grand adventure socre Honey, I shrunk the Kids not confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    I've just ordered the wicked-thing.
    And because the shipping costs are so bloody high, I also ordered Alex North's 2001-Score and Dario Marianelli's The Soloist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But how is the score like? sad cry
    Kazoo
  6. Well I have the bootleg and I just don't listen to it very much. Saying it's one of the composer's richest albums is like saying Titanic was not a hit, just a big lie... 1983 was the year of KRULL and BRAINSTORM and that's all that should be remembered.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As I'm no fan of horror scores, this isn't really for me, but I gotta love the fact that they went away from the C&C route here, and presented it for optimal listening.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    As I'm no fan of horror scores, this isn't really for me, but I gotta love the fact that they went away from the C&C route here, and presented it for optimal listening.

It's more of a fantasy score than horror Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

It's more of a fantasy score than horror Thor.

They say that, but I listened to the clips and except for the main theme, I felt it was the other way around. It's a bit like KRULL; which is really 75% horror of 25% fantasy (perhaps not filmically, but at least musically).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I ordered it from SAE , I couldnt get the Intrada site to work, or I just ordered 4 of them, but thats ok it will sell out and Ill rack up on ebay. biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    moonie wrote
    I ordered it from SAE , I couldnt get the Intrada site to work, or I just ordered 4 of them, but thats ok it will sell out and Ill rack up on ebay. biggrin

You're kidding right? Or did you really order 4? Whoah!

I've been ultra-choosy about the limited editions in recent times. The only times I gave in were for the two Delerues.
    I will watch the movie and decide about SWTWC. Atleast with 3000 copies it should last a month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well I have the bootleg and I just don't listen to it very much. Saying it's one of the composer's richest albums is like saying Titanic was not a hit, just a big lie... 1983 was the year of KRULL and BRAINSTORM and that's all that should be remembered.

Well, does it HAVE to be remembered? Can't we erase and format those 2 out of the world's memory? biggrin tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well I have the bootleg and I just don't listen to it very much. Saying it's one of the composer's richest albums is like saying Titanic was not a hit, just a big lie... 1983 was the year of KRULL and BRAINSTORM and that's all that should be remembered.

Well, does it HAVE to be remembered? Can't we erase and format those 2 out of the world's memory? biggrin tongue

By KRULL !!!! You are in dire need of a BRAINSTORM sir. dizzy

Never will we let those fade out of the world's memory !!!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

By KRULL !!!! You are in dire need of a BRAINSTORM sir. dizzy

Never will we let those fade out of the world's memory !!!!!

bhangra
    crazy <--D's head
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ... 1983 was the year of KRULL and BRAINSTORM and that's all that should be remembered.

Well, does it HAVE to be remembered?

Ahem. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ... 1983 was the year of KRULL and BRAINSTORM and that's all that should be remembered.

Ahem. angry

TOUCHE !!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Ahem. angry

I suspect he was referring to James Horner scores.

Krull and Brainstorm are both incredible. If SWTWC is half as good as either of those, it will be excellent indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I gotta say that I'm a sucker for good, stylish horror scores, and these clips got me unexpectedly excited (I also love the cover). Really thinking about buying this, but expectations are that it sells out quick..? <<going about its options...>>
  9. It's really only got a couple cues that could be considered "horror", the rest are just emotionally dramatic.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    It's really only got a couple cues that could be considered "horror", the rest are just emotionally dramatic.

That's what I wanted to hear. Horner is at his best when he's on drama (call me a drama queen, I don't care!;-)).
    Very much looking forward to this realise!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    It's really only got a couple cues that could be considered "horror", the rest are just emotionally dramatic.

That depends on how you define "horror music", I guess. Judging from the clips, only the main theme stuck out as "emotionally dramatic". I think your tolerance for horror music is a little higher than mine, Justin.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I too am on the fence about this one. If people say that Brainstorm is better, I'd rather buy me a copy of Brainstorm, since I don't know that one either...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    fommes wrote
    I too am on the fence about this one. If people say that Brainstorm is better, I'd rather buy me a copy of Brainstorm, since I don't know that one either...

Given a choice I'd take BRAINSTORM ( a masterpiece ) over 'Something Wicked' everytime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    fommes wrote

Given a choice I'd take BRAINSTORM ( a masterpiece ) over 'Something Wicked' everytime!

Timmer - This is up there with Brainstorm, IMHO. I'm listening to the SWTWC boot as I write this and this is probably one of the most unique Horner creations I've ever heard! This will blow you away!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    fommes wrote

Timmer - This is up there with Brainstorm, IMHO. I'm listening to the SWTWC boot as I write this and this is probably one of the most unique Horner creations I've ever heard! This will blow you away!

-Erik-

I have the boot too and I like SWTWC, I just don't think it's up there with Brainstorm though, however I've not listened to it for a long time and will dig it out again for re-appraisal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    shocked Jesus! shocked
    I just found out what I actually ordered.

I thought I was ordering DELERUE's Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    That'll teach me to drink 'n' surf. sad

Wonder if I can still cancel it? slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn