• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    fommes wrote
    Thor wrote
    I am overrated.

Not at all, people just quote you too much!

Mostly himself! More self rips than Horner!

I think that's because he's underlinked!
  1. Well, if I can steer the discussion back to Horner, I noticed I completely sideswiped his 90s input. If someone put a gun to my head and demanded I pick a favorite Horner score from the 90s score, I would pick Apollo 13. I'm not the most patriotic person in the world, but the main theme to this film is the type of theme that makes me proud of what the USA has accomplished with space travel. And of course during the part of the film where Re-Entry & Splashdown plays, I always get teary-eyed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    Going off topic, Kevin?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Yes...not that I didn't encourage it. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Well, if I can steer the discussion back to Horner, I noticed I completely sideswiped his 90s input. If someone put a gun to my head and demanded I pick a favorite Horner score from the 90s score, I would pick Apollo 13. I'm not the most patriotic person in the world, but the main theme to this film is the type of theme that makes me proud of what the USA has accomplished with space travel. And of course during the part of the film where Re-Entry & Splashdown plays, I always get teary-eyed...

But no Germanic motif for the massive in-put by Nazi scientists?

Boooo! tongue

Great score but I'd pick BRAVEHEART.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Yup.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My favourite 90s Horner: Legends of the Fall. Or The Rocketeer. Or Apollo 13. Those would be my top three (along with Sneakers and Braveheart).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I forgot SNEAKERS, that's a superb score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The 90's is arguably my favourite Horner decade too.

APOLLO 13, followed by BRAVEHEART, TITANIC, MASK OF ZORRO, LEGENDS OF THE FALL and THE ROCKETEER. All must-haves.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Mighty Joe Young is unquestionably my favorite 90's Horner score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You sure it's not Jade?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    *inhale*
    *puff*
    *contented sigh*
    this stuff is amazing
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Scribe wrote
    Mighty Joe Young is unquestionably my favorite 90's Horner score.

Yes, unquestionably your favorite '90's score is "Mighty Joe Young".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010
    No shit!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    INTRADA Announces:

UNCOMMON VALOR
    Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 142

Intrada presents another long overdue James Horner gem from the 1980s -- the score for the 1983 Paramount film Uncommon Valor. The project presented Horner with some challenges outside the expected range of a military action film. In some ways it was Horner's answer to classic “military team” movie scores like Frank DeVol’s The Dirty Dozen and Elmer Bernstein’s The Great Escape, but the film’s chilling opening in Vietnam, the haunted quality of Col. Jason Rhodes’ character and early scenes of his stubborn, dogged search for clues to his son’s disposition called for something different and far more serious than a straight militaristic action approach. Although Horner does include a military march in this vein, the scores goes into a variety of different directions. Throughout the film, Horner often places ethnic instrumentation in chaotic settings while more Western, military ideas pulse in steady, predictable rhythms against them, conveying the idea of discipline and resolve in the face of the exotic and demoralizing culture of the Vietnamese “other.” For Rhodes' haunting by memories of his son as a young boy, strings harmonize in a bittersweet melody that ultimately reflects both duty and loss as it applies to the MIAs/POWs and their loved ones. As the team moves toward the Laotian border, Horner’s score takes on a more traditional heroic quality and tones down some of the ethnic elements to focus on the team’s exploits and cohesiveness. Horner’s approach to the military adventure aspects reflects his similar work on Star Trek II and The Rocketeer.

Uncommon Valor tells the story of Col. Jason Rhodes (Gene Hackman), a Korean War veteran whose son Frank never returns from the Vietnam War. Convinced that his son is still being held as a prisoner of war in Laos, Rhodes spends years researching the area and—with assistance from a wealthy friend played by Robert Stack, whose son is also MIA—rounds up a motley “dirty dozen” crew of vets from his son’s platoon, retrains them and launches a private mission to rescue his boy and the other POWs America has forgotten.

This release features the complete score, remixed and remastered from the original session masters at Paramount, and is limited to 3000 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 142
    Retail Price: $19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6709/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2010
    Ah, life is good! Finally a proper release of this score and even with some more minutes of score and a song.
    Bring it on!
  5. indeed, excellent news punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    Thought LaLaLand Records wanted to release James Horner's "Jade" on 15th October 2010... ? No?
    Any news on this?

All best
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BasilB wrote
    Thought LaLaLand Records wanted to release James Horner's "Jade" on 15th October 2010... ? No?
    Any news on this?

All best

I've never heard JADE, anyone know what the score is like? I seem to remember some people saying it's bad, not good bad, just plain bad.
  6. That's also what I remember. Though I have not heard anything of this Horner score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And that's the thing Alan, we all have varying tastes, like Pawel saying he enjoyed Thunderheart which I detest and yet, I love In The Name of The Rose which I know many people loathe, that's why I'd like to hear Jade for myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    And that's the thing Alan, we all have varying tastes, like Pawel saying he enjoyed Thunderheart which I detest and yet, I love In The Name of The Rose which I know many people loathe, that's why I'd like to hear Jade for myself.

Same here. Hate THUNDERHEART, like ROSE.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I like them both. Don´t know Jade.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    Okay, great...
    Any news about JADE? (to get back on topic.... wink )
  8. Jade is an interesting thing. I heard the bootleg. The score is a Stravinsky-lite, not a good work. There are rumours that Horner wrote bad music on purpose, because he was on constant edge with Friedkin. The conflict also led to a huge boost in his paycheck.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Guys,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I’m new around here and couldn’t see a post about it.

Was just wondering if anybody knew of any plans by James Horner to work his beautiful CBS News music into a longer version such as a concert suite like John Williams did with The Mission for NBC. It’s such a great piece of music, but really frustrating it isn’t available to buy in decent stereo quality.

Thanks.

PS: Hello!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2010
    Hello Sky wave

I haven't heard anything about any recording, maybe someone here can help
  10. If anybody would know, asking at the Horner Shrine would be the place:

HornerShrine.com/forum
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. A James Horner shrine!??!?

:faints:
  12. It's still alive? That site? Didn't they have some problems?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website