• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

NP:Lair (Debney)

My third all time favourite score!

From Oveture to Darkness theme to Civilitation to Diviner's theme

My mate Luke (flatmate) is probably one of the most least likely people to enjoy film/game music, but he loves Lair!

I've converted at least 4 people to film music since being at uni, and I've got countless others listening to the odd piece in their collection. cool

People do like good music!

Does this show a changing of the times!?

When I was the same age as you Steven I don't think it was as accepted as it is now, I knew less than a handful of people who liked the odd film score or two and even then it was the "usual suspects", Morricone westerns, James Bond and Star Wars; and a new girlfriend would look at me cross eyed after seeing how much of my music collection was soundtacks. dizzy And as for people who were purely into classical, well, mention film music and you got a look as if you were dressed as a KKK grandmaster at a Rock against Racism concert! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean - Curse of The Black Pearl - Klaus Badelt

Before I didn't use to listen to this much as compared to its successors, as I preferred their full orchestral quality, but now I see that under the circumstances it was recorded, it is remarkably good quality and a nice score. It's nice to hear the half-developed Jack's theme which Zimmer fleshes out in the following scores. Great tracks are Will and Elizabeth, Barbossa is Hungry, Blood Ritual and Bootstrap's Bootstraps. Some great cues from the final battle and the gallows attack music are missing, but it's a great soundtrack nonetheless.

I like it way more than the 2nd POTC score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Happening - James Newton Howard

Here we go... first listen. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Happening (The Dark Knight Co-composer tongue )

My first thoughts were...Am i listening War of the Worlds?

2 main influences:

1- It has something from this new Williams sound heard In WOTW and Minority Report.This kind of Xylophone (????!!!) wich are used by Giacchino too.

2- A little touch of a "monster" melodie as Roar!

Then It becomes a little bit more JNH with some little, little touches of The Village and Signs.

I would definitely agree about WOTW. That's one thing I thought last night. They are really quite different (The Happening being a very quiet score mostly), but they both evoke a very similar feeling of loneliness and dread.

After listening to it more, I would say it's one of the weaker Shyamalan scores, but is still worth picking up. There are some great bits and as Nautilus said, "End Title Suite" is a fantastic piece of music.
  1. NP: Michael Giacchino - LOST Season 1

Loving the quiet moments immensely... Man, it´s been a long time since I saw an episode... i hope to have time to rewatch seasons 1 and 2 soon and then take on 3 and 4 in one go.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIRTY HARRY - Lalo Schifrin

Funky, edgy, cool! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    NP: [b]Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow[/i] - Edward Shearmur

punk

What as Shearmur been doing lately anyway?
  2. NP: Antonio Pinto - Lord of War

One of those jewels I love to use as background music for writing. It delivers a fantastic musical landscape perfect for lots of different scenes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    National Treasure - Trevor Rabin

I must be about the last person on earth who ought to enjoy this, but I do. It's really good fun.
  3. That´s what it´s all about, having fun.

Sometimes people forget that, especially when it comes down to discussions about quality...

Of course, some people like to be entertained on a higher level than others, but sometimes, you just zapp around, watch five minutes of a ridiculous talkshow, and then go on. Having fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

I must be about the last person on earth who ought to enjoy this, but I do. It's really good fun.

You kidding? This score rocks!!!! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Happening - James Newton Howard

We've come to expect high standards for these Shyamalan scores, and JNH has delivered again. Great stuff.
  4. Pretty good thing yes, James. Intricate orchestrations. Demetris, by no means a drone.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2008 edited
    David wrote
    NP: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur

punk

Such great things like as Epic Movie and College Road Trip. rolleyes This guy is WAYYYYYYYY underused. And he's immensly like John Powell in his writing style, placing him high in my books!

Edit: I've had a few drinks, and my grammar and spelling has gone way down hill. I wrote "writing style" as "writing stile".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    David wrote
    NP: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur

punk

Such great things like as Epic Movie and College Road Trip. rolleyes This guy is WAYYYYYYYY underused. And he's immensly like John Powell in his writing style, placing him high in my books!

Edit: I've had a few drinks, and my grammar and spelling has gone way down hill. I wrote "writing style" as "writing stile".

Hehe....don´t worry, we are all experts in the lolcat language Jordi speaks, so.... biggrin

NP Planet Earth (George Fenton)
    The perfect music before going to sleep. Nice and relaxing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Southall wrote
    The Happening - James Newton Howard

We've come to expect high standards for these Shyamalan scores, and JNH has delivered again. Great stuff.

Oh goody. I've been hoping to hear talk like that. My cd arrives early next week. smile

NP: Battle of Algiers (Morricone)

One of the greatest movies of all time. A fine supportive score from Morricone.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Continuing on this Morricone kick this morning, with:

Malena
    Mission to Mars
    Mosca Addio

This guy really is a cut above the rest.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Continuing on this Morricone kick this morning, with:

Malena
    Mission to Mars
    Mosca Addio

This guy really is a cut above the rest.

Look in the film music dictionary under 'genius' and it'll say Morricone.

NP : MARCO POLO - Ennio Morricone

Been itching to play this all day since Jordi mentioned it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

You kidding? This score rocks!!!! punk

It sure does!! biggrin

NP: Mars Attacks - Danny Elfman

Man I love this main theme with the choir! And the acton cues, albeit using a lot of electronics, are great stuff too! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:KOH sessions (HGW)

I have no heard it very much. I used to think it was bland, and one of the main themes didn't touches me.

But It has a very well done sound design, and it has a lot of impressive moments that makes this score worth to revisit.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pearl Harbor - Hans Zimmer
    Amazing themes punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Pearl Harbor - Hans Zimmer
    Amazing themes punk

Yes, Amazing themes. Failed Score.

NP:Aeguis (JOnes)

Amazing theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Soul Of The Ultimate Nation - Howard Shore

IMO the best, BEST game score of 2006! After listening to LoTR, this one is a real treat, with its grand choir, great themes and beautiful orchestration! Amazing work by Maestro Shore punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Pirates of the caribbeeeee......Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep

biggrin bounce punk

Very funny.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Just stopped listening to the Western guess-the-score game, which is such a good listen I had it playing for over two hours! Now I'm listening to something that has been a long while:

Children of Dune - Brian Tyler punk

This is really a favourite of mine! Love the themes, love the percussion and the atmospheric sound of it too. And yeah, I know, Lifeforce and all that, but still that hasn't changed my opinion and feeling about Children of Dune. I still love it, love it, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Pirates of the caribbeeeee......Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep

biggrin bounce punk

Very funny.

I'll call this Real Life Teminism biggrin (go figure what that means lol)

And Jordi, that's Pirates of Theeeeeeeeeeee.... Zzzzzzzzz sleep and not Pirates of the caribbeeeee......Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep, get it right! wink

NP: Matrix Revolutions - Don Davis

Great score, much better than Reloaded! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Jungle Book 2 - Joel McNeely

Just proves the point of what's been said in the composer's own thread recently. He's great and deserves better than this sort of film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Anthony and Cleopatra (Scott)

Impressive.

My only complaintment is some 70's orchestrations.
  7. What are 70s orchestrations?

I sure don't remember any funk or urban grooves in that wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    NP: Dinosaur Complete 2 CD - James Newton Howard

This has been playing in my head since morning and I just couldn't leave it out. This 2 disc set is a great experience, unreleased cues like The Attack, Playing Monster, Raptors - Aladar Meets The Herd, Pushing and Shoving, Enough For Everyone and Dead End are just amazing stuffs missing from the official release. And then's the usual great material in The Egg Travels, The End of Our Island, Across The Desert, The Carnotaur Attack, Breakout, Carnotaur Standoff and the final GREAT, AMAZING FINALE of Epilogue. Looks like I wrote in almost every track, huh? Cos' it's all pure musical magic, man! punk beer