• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    Played earlier: Battlefield 2: Modern Combat - Rupert Gregson-Williams

A fantastic score to listen to while cycling. On my way back from college today I honestly felt as though I owned the road (or the pavement at least). spin

NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

One of his best efforts of the 90's. Just superb.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Charlie Wilson's War

shocked

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS!?!? PEOPLE, GET RID OF THE CRAP AND LISTEN TO SOME REAL MUSIC!

It isn't THAT good. Good main theme (which is basically there to give him a likable, patriotic shine), great mix of ethnic percussion of Handel, but the rest...?

Actually i think it's quite good mate. Maybe it sounds even better to my ears 'cause this has been such a tremendously poor year so far (score-wise) but still, it's coherent, drivingly rhythmic, melodic and imaginative. It's not ground breaking original, but I'd call it a very good musical work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS!?!? PEOPLE, GET RID OF THE CRAP AND LISTEN TO SOME REAL MUSIC!

I don't have it and even if I did I wouldn't turn off the "CRAP" I'm playing right now for anything. wink

JNH's greatest "chops" is no match for Prokofiev, not in a million years.

Hehe. I was carried away by all the attention stuff like IRON MAN are getting instead. I think it's incredibly stupid of anyone to call Prokofiev 'crap' and i think it has to be noted that i had the IRON MAN (and the likes) audience in my mind when i wrote the above wink angelic shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Actually i think it's quite good mate. Maybe it sounds even better to my ears 'cause this has been such a tremendously poor year so far (score-wise) but still, it's coherent, drivingly rhythmic, melodic and imaginative. It's not ground breaking original, but I'd call it a very good musical work.

I know my opinion means nothing, but I agree. It's a worthy addition to Howard's two superior efforts of 2007 (I Am Legend Of The Deep).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PRINCE CASPIAN | harry gregson-williams

Hmmm. Surprisingly, the score is as good as the songs at the end. Both flat, both uninspiring, both cliché, but sometimes enjoyable. Defenitely a step back from the first one. There not really a new theme, let alone having new orchestrations or so. Darker ys, more action, but all based around the same motifs or themes, and around The Battle (which still sounds cool though) What a disappointment. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregt wrote
    What a disappointment. sad

Hmm, I'm quite glad I cancelled my order for this. Might leave it a few weeks before I get it so I can afford to feed my JNH hunger this summer.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Currently re-discovering Gabriel Yared's The Mysterious Yearning Secretive Sad Lonely Troubled Confused Loving Musical Gifted Intelligent Beautiful Tender Sensitive Haunted Passionate Talented Mr. Ripley.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    Bregt wrote
    What a disappointment. sad

Hmm, I'm quite glad I cancelled my order for this. Might leave it a few weeks before I get it so I can afford to feed my JNH hunger this summer.

You did well. It's nothing worth having, shallow and generic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Hellboy - Marco Beltrami

Probably the best thing he has ever done.

-Erik-

Ya... just finished with this and it is EASILY the best score Beltrami has ever written.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Probably the best thing he has ever done.

-Erik-

Ya... just finished with this and it is EASILY the best score Beltrami has ever written.

-Erik-

I am between this and I,ROBOT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    3:10 to Yuma for me.

NP: Lost Season 3 - Michael Giacchino

I ordered it, it has arrived, I'm half way through disc one. Rarely have I been so impressed by music but at the same time wonder why I bothered buying it. I'm sure it's not identical but there is so much similarity with the other two seasons' albums I would probably have been better off sticking with them - though this is probably the most satisfying album so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    NP: Liar - John Debney

Derivative AWESOMENESS! While the score is based on and influence by a handful of other scores, there is still some wickedly impressive and original writing in this score. It takes someone with some considerable talent to put something like this together.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Bregt wrote

Hmmm. Surprisingly, the score is as good as the songs at the end. Both flat, both uninspiring, both cliché, but sometimes enjoyable. Defenitely a step back from the first one. There not really a new theme, let alone having new orchestrations or so. Darker ys, more action, but all based around the same motifs or themes, and around The Battle (which still sounds cool though) What a disappointment. sad

Hey, the Regina Spektor song is really cool. Though I grew to be a real fan. The score wasn't half as bad as I thought it could be. I like the avant-garde elements.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Liar - John Debney

Derivative AWESOMENESS! While the score is based on and influence by a handful of other scores, there is still some wickedly impressive and original writing in this score. It takes someone with some considerable talent to put something like this together.

-Erik-

Yeah, probably guy who wrote additional score for it (don't recall his name).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Kevin Kaska
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote

I think this score is actually more enjoyable the less familiar you are with the first. There are only a couple of cues from the first I can remember well, and only a small handful of themes I know off by heart. I must say, I do enjoy a few of the cues on Price Caspian, especially the use of the battle theme in "Arrival At The How".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Bregt wrote

I think this score is actually more enjoyable the less familiar you are with the first. There are only a couple of cues from the first I can remember well, and only a small handful of themes I know off by heart. I must say, I do enjoy a few of the cues on Price Caspian, especially the use of the battle theme in "Arrival At The How".

And is even more enjoyable in the second listen. It left me rather cold in the first one, but things were better in the second one.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Bregt wrote

And is even more enjoyable in the second listen. It left me rather cold in the first one, but things were better in the second one.

I'm still not enjoying the action stuff and the new theme(s). The action is just a pure onslaught, and I can't make out the themes. The quiet bits with the more familiar stuff are the highlights for me.
  4. Erik Woods wrote

Probably the best thing he has ever done. I haven't been too impressed with his out put in the past few years but this one is a definite highlight for me of his later work. "Fireproof" is a killer action cue, I dig the spaghetti western guitar 'twang' heard in the Hellboy main theme, and the unreleased BPRD suite, which is on Beltrami's site, is one of my favorite tracks of all time. Was that put together for the end credits?

-Erik-

I like his two recent western scores as well, but you're right, HELLBOY is pretty much his strongest.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

It isn't THAT good. Good main theme (which is basically there to give him a likable, patriotic shine), great mix of ethnic percussion of Handel, but the rest...?

Aren't you meant to be listening to LOST vol 3 all the time at the moment? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Bregt wrote

I'm still not enjoying the action stuff and the new theme(s). The action is just a pure onslaught, and I can't make out the themes. The quiet bits with the more familiar stuff are the highlights for me.

I have heard this score for days, While I'm really interested in the sound design and some themes, I can't remember nothing when I finish my listen.

It's a cool design sound, but like the first one (wich at least had 2 impressive tracks: Evacuation and the battle) and KOH is like nothing.

It's very bad devoloped and mixed.

Worth to listen ? yes. And, of course, It is far, far more enjoyable than the first one. A little bit more Vibrant ( not the word for define this score, thought).

And the mix of New age (where is lisbeth?) , ethnic, electronic ,orchestra and Chorus is a great sound for Narnia.

NP:Blade Runner (Vangelis)

A mind Blowing Experience.

If I want to go to the future, I listen this score. Specially the "Los Angeles.." overture.

Is the 3 cd's worth to listen?
  6. Erik Woods wrote

...the unreleased BPRD suite, which is on Beltrami's site, is one of my favorite tracks of all time. Was that put together for the end credits?

Just fished out my 3-DVD version of Hellboy and "B.P.R.D. Suite" certainly plays during the end credits. The first 2:21 plays from the end credits beginning until that inserted footage - which plays to silence. Then there's some god-awful song before the suite continues to the end.

On the suite there's an 8-second tracked piece before the quite middle section of the suite begins. Watching the while end credits sequence I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the brilliant thematic material playing from ~6:06 (to the end) beginning just as the songs are listed on-screen. I just hope that Beltrami was able to deliberately do this to show how much better original underscore is compared to the songs used!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

I don't have it and even if I did I wouldn't turn off the "CRAP" I'm playing right now for anything. wink

JNH's greatest "chops" is no match for Prokofiev, not in a million years.

Hehe. I was carried away by all the attention stuff like IRON MAN are getting instead. I think it's incredibly stupid of anyone to call Prokofiev 'crap' and i think it has to be noted that i had the IRON MAN (and the likes) audience in my mind when i wrote the above wink angelic shame

I'd like to think we can all read between the lines D wink

I know where you were coming from but ya just gotta have a "dig" sometimes eh? cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008 edited
    NP:Indiana Jones and The kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The only good thing i can say is I like Irina's theme, the Skull's motif, the south america moment and the jungle chase.

And the only thing good I can do is not talk about this score very much. I only hope the movie will be better. And I hope the score will grow on me after to watch the movie.

Any particular reason why "Finale" is edited so badly?

Anyway, I shut up. I don't want Steven jumping again over me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Indiana Jones and The kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The only good thing i can say is I like Irina's theme and the Skull's motif.

And the only thing good I can do is not talk about this score very much. I only hope the movie will be better.

Any particular reason why "Finale" is edited so badly?

Anyway, I shut up. I don't want Steven jumping again over me.

What? Not even with high heels and baby oil!? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...and a ANGELINA JOLIE mask.....you'll never notice the differance! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote

Specially in that particular case...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Specially in that particular case...

You can fit in a case? shocked ....You obviously have "gifts" beyond many of us dizzy wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Anthony wrote
    Nope, that's probably me! angelic

How old are you?
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    Varese Sarabande: A 30th Anniversary Celebration

A great sampler series of Varese's last five years of output. I wish that more record labels made releases like this. It's a good way to try out new scores. From the 25th Anniversary, I picked up many CD's based on the tracks I liked on those albums. It's a good exposure to music that I might otherwise overlook or not be interested in the whole CD of.