• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

 
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011 edited
    We had a lovely lunch. AND, I bought some bottles of Singha from the supermarket on the way back... all of which are now gone.
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Lindt dark chocolate with orange and a cup of Twinnings English tea, a wonderful combination lick

    That's funny, I talked with my kids about chocolate with orange recently.
    At breakfast they were complaining about the orange juice because they still had the taste of dark chocolate sprinkles in their mouth.

    I said, you know that some people like that together? There are even cookies with dark chocolate and orange and things like that!

    They looked at me as if I was talking nonsense. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    Speaking of chocolate...

    Because the kids have music class on saturday morning, in that hour we go to the street market (I never do that, but this is a bigger street market in the city centre). We buy roasted nuts, medjool dates and chocolate dates.... So sweeeeet!!!
    lick

    I think the kids' music class is going to make us really fat...
    It tastes nothing like nuts and dates from the supermarket. So much better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2011
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Lindt dark chocolate with orange and a cup of Twinnings English tea, a wonderful combination lick

    That's funny, I talked with my kids about chocolate with orange recently.
    At breakfast they were complaining about the orange juice because they still had the taste of dark chocolate sprinkles in their mouth.

    I said, you know that some people like that together? There are even cookies with dark chocolate and orange and things like that!

    They looked at me as if I was talking nonsense. wink


    Oddly ( or maybe not ) orange juice after dark chocolate doesn't work. I wonder if it's more an adults taste than a childs?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011
    Perhaps!

    And now that you mention that, I think the orange juice after chocolate tastes far more bitter than the orange chocolates like you had.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011 edited
    Undoubtably. Dark chocolate washed down with tea lick washed down with orange juice slant

    The chocolate I had was made by Lindt ( it's Swiss ) and had orange pieces in it, I love it too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited
    Went to another BBQ yesterday.

    The home made burgers I brought with me went down very well ( as usual everyone else brought ready made supermarket stuff rolleyes ), so much so that I was asked for the recipe.

    I can't remember precise amounts because I always do this by eye...

    Quality minced lamb
    a sprinkle of Coriander & Rosemary & Paprika
    Crushed and chopped garlic
    A small dollop of Dijon mustard
    Chopped chillies ...not toooo much, don't want to overwhelm the taste
    And a generous helping of Mango Chutney
    Salt & Pepper

    Crush, squish, mush it all together, shape how you please and then straight on the BBQ....or grill if doing at home wink lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011
    Niiice.

    Will have to try that one out. lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011
    Please do, it's delicious even though I say so myself. love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Today I'm going to make that very best of Scottish dishes ( no Alan, not Haggis, Neaps & tatties wink ) FISH & CHIPS lick

    I've got some lovely fresh cod fillets from my local fishmongers and will make my own batter, here's my recipe for anyone interested...

    50g plain flour
    50g cornflour
    50ml lager ( that's not too much so consume the rest of can/bottle in appropriate manner lick beer )
    50ml fizzy spring water
    tsp of baking powder
    large pinch of tumeric

    blend with whisk until smooth, pat cod dry with kitchen towels and dust with flour, dip cod in mixture and deep fry in sunflower oil.

    I always cut up a bit of onion and try that in the mixture and fry to test that the oil is at the right heat plus I can chomp on onion rings while waiting for the fish lick wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. You shouldn't be calling it "fish and chips" for it to be an authentic Scottish dish. Obviously it should be a "fish supper."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Please do, it's delicious even though I say so myself. love

    Hmmmm, looking at the ingredients of the burgers, I think I will try that, but rather use beef than lamb, and add some chopped onions. lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    I'd have to taste your fish & chips some day, Timmer. I don't really the equipment nor the space in my tiny kitchen corner to make that stuff.

    Yesterday, I made a lasagne, but only managed to eat half. So the rest goes down today. No more garlic bread, so I'll have to manage with salad as accesory. Still have a couple of beers left too.

    Not terribly exciting, but lasagne is always a "classic".
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    You shouldn't be calling it "fish and chips" for it to be an authentic Scottish dish. Obviously it should be a "fish supper."


    Aye aye cap'n, fish supper it is! wave <--salute
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Please do, it's delicious even though I say so myself. love

    Hmmmm, looking at the ingredients of the burgers, I think I will try that, but rather use beef than lamb, and add some chopped onions. lick


    Let me know how it turns out? I'm wondering if you might need a binding agent ( egg ), beef is nowhere near as fatty as lamb and might fall apart.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Thor wrote
    I'd have to taste your fish & chips some day, Timmer. I don't really the equipment nor the space in my tiny kitchen corner to make that stuff.

    Yesterday, I made a lasagne, but only managed to eat half. So the rest goes down today. No more garlic bread, so I'll have to manage with salad as accesory. Still have a couple of beers left too.

    Not terribly exciting, but lasagne is always a "classic".


    It would have to be home made at mine Thor, fish & chip shops in Bristol are rubbish, there used to be a couple of brilliant ones but both changed ownership and the quality went down hill, fish n' chippies in the North of England are far superior.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    ...that's where they deepfry Mars bars, isn't it?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited
    Nope! That's in Scotland. The national dish so I hear. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Nope! That's in Scotland. The national dish so I hear. wink

    I've never had one myself but don't they look yummy?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nope! That's in Scotland. The national dish so I hear. wink

    I've never had one myself but don't they look yummy?


    Actually, I do think they look yummy (in case you were being sarcastic)! I'd certainly try one. I've long since abandoned any consciousness around calories, so GIVE IT TO ME!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Weirdly enough I can imagine a couple of bites being satisfying dizzy On the minus side I find MARS a sickly chocolate bar and can only manage a bite or two let alone having it deep fried.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Weirdly enough I can imagine a couple of bites being satisfying dizzy On the minus side I find MARS a sickly chocolate bar and can only manage a bite or two let alone having it deep fried.


    I love Mars in smaller doses and if it's served cold. So I wonder how I would feel about a very WARM version.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I would love to try a deep fried mars bar. But the batter would need to be perfect. Tim, could you rustle up some appropriate batter?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011
    Traditional Omelette with ham, cheese and garlic today, with salad on the side (tomato, red onion, feta, salad). Basically just took what was in my fridge. It was OK, but could have been spiced up with more flavours. Plus, it was a bit dry. Then again, I almost never make omelettes, so I'm pleased.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011
    I love omelette. My favourite is packed with cheese, tomatoes, ham and semi-fried potatoes lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011
    I made myself homemade kebabs this afternoon using leftover lamb from a few Sundays back ( frozen, of course ), I lightly fried the lamb in it's own oils, shredded it and stuffed it into pitta bread along with a Greek salad topped with garlic & herb sauce ( from a supermarket ) and chili sauce, a VERY hot one that my friend Alex brought me back from Mexico ( Alex is Mexican but has lived here for over 20 years ), it was absolutely delicious but I think it would have been even more tasty after getting in late after a night out getting pissed wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I would love to try a deep fried mars bar. But the batter would need to be perfect. Tim, could you rustle up some appropriate batter?


    If you really must wink

    See my batter recipe further up.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited
    Good ol' chicken tikka massala today, a recurring favourite of mine. Between the sugary sauce and the basmati rice, it's not healthy, but I couldn't care less. It's GOOD!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Good ol' chicken tikka massala today, a recurring favourite of mine. Between the sugary sauce and the basmati rice, it's not healthy, but I couldn't care less. It's GOOD!


    Mmmmm! lick A fine British dish, you did know it's British, didn't you? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited
    You been watching Q.I. Tim? wink

    According to them (Fred Macaulay to be specific) it was perfected in Glasgow if I remember.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn