• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011 edited
    Tim, my friend, a trip proposition from Stavi for something like going up to hike to mount Olympos or anything she might ask as long as you're with her, it's a bloody good excuse for, well, everything!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    10 years ago I could have run Taygetos, 5 years ago I could have hiked it, ....now? I need to get fit.

Sounds bloody brilliant though, maybe Martijn would like to join us? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmmmmmmm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tim, my friend, a trip proposition from Stavi for something like going up to hike to mount Olympos or anything she might ask as long as you're with her, it's a bloody good excuse for, well, everything!

Yeah, I can just imagine it...

"Mel, I'm just off to Greece for a few weeks hiking Mount Olympus with a beautiful Greek girl, keep the cat fed and I'll................"THWACKKKKKK!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    If I ever believed half of your good natured comments I would be the most beautiful and most wonderful woman in the world! Thanks for the compliments though! I don't know if Martijn would like to join! Something tells me he wouldn't mind coming! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't believe us?! Seriously?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    If I ever believed half of your good natured comments I would be the most beautiful and most wonderful woman in the world! Thanks for the compliments though! I don't know if Martijn would like to join! Something tells me he wouldn't mind coming! smile

Oh, I LOVE y.....y...yon Greek mountains.
    To walk in.
    Yeah.

cry

Stavroula wrote
    "Bloody" vegetables for me tomorrow! I'm cooking them right now! lick

Cooking veggies NOW for tomorrow?
    But that way there won't be a single vitamin left in 'em by tomorrow!!! sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I know hon, but I'm going to return starving at 5 o'clock with no stamina left. That's why I'm cooking tonight.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011 edited
    I'm cooking a lamb roast, same as last week, not very imaginative but that's what I want, I'm bloody starving too.....only another hour to go lick eat
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011
    I don't think I've had lamb roast for many, many years -- if at all. I like lamb in certain settings; a good lamb shish kebab, for example. Or the Norwegian dish "Fårikål" (meaning sheep/lamb in cabbage). But it's not part of my everyday diet.

I'm having leftovers from yesterday -- white rice and chicken tikka massala, a favourite of mine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2011 edited
    Busy day cooking today! I made a soup with meat,vegetables,rice and egg and lemon sauce, a zuccini and cheese pie, meatballs with tomato sauce, onions and rosemary and a chocolate-hazelnut cake!
    Food for almost the whole week and everything delicious!!! lick eat
  1. lick

Here it was Mexican night. Nachos and cheese with lots of jalapenos, guacamole and soured cream. Then fajitas. Nice!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011 edited
    During my "time off" from the forum, I've since become a vegetarian (!). My parents have actually been vegetarian for as long as I've known them, but they've never forced me to be vegetarian. Not once. I have very much the same attitude, and I NEVER play the 'moral card' if I'm with someone eating meat. And unfortunately, I LOVE meat. So it's been very hard to stop eating it after all these years, and I only explain my case in special circumstances. So I thought I'd explain it here on the forum as I wanted to share it, but without forcing the issue down people's throats. This particular video explains far better than I do why I don't eat meat anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … rSnQVajo#!

It's 12 minutes and tough to watch. If you have time, try to watch it all. The video is full of harrowing images, but if you haven't got time to watch it all or don't want to, then at least skip to 3:55 just to get a small glimpse of the torture many animals the world over have to endure.

The only thing I would 'preach' about is to be careful where your meat is coming from and how it got there. So long as the animals are well looked after and slaughtered in a relatively humane way, then I don't see much problem. (But purely from a personal perspective, I've decided to quit meat altogether as it's very hard to be sure of these things. Fast food suppliers tend to be the worse offenders.)

Don't worry though, I still drink, swear and make inappropriate politically incorrect jokes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
    I think it's very commendable what you're doing Steven, Mel has been vegetarian since before I'd ever met her but she has never complained about me eating meat ( it just means I have to juggle cooking stuff like roast dinners ), I only ever buy my meat from a local organic butchers, the boss of whom I'm friends with, he has his own farm and I know for a fact that animals are treated well and killed humanely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I think it's very commendable what you're doing Steven, Mel has been vegetarian since before I'd ever met her but she has never complained about me eating meat ( it just means I have to juggle cooking stuff like roast dinners ), I only ever buy my meat from a local organic butchers, the boss of whom I'm friends with, he has his own farm and I know for a fact that animals are treated well and killed humanely.

Good to hear! I think most vegetarians are like that and tend not to 'preach' about it or mind other people eating meat. I wouldn't even have a leg to stand on if did since I've been eating meat for 23 years! But I'm sure most people will agree that living conditions and the way animals are slaughtered is a concern. I'd happily shoot those who treat animals like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To be fair, I'd probably eat meat if I could be sure that the animals were well looked after and killed humanely. But I only ever buy food from supermarkets, so I can never be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    At least you won't eat any pets.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    To be fair, I'd probably eat meat if I could be sure that the animals were well looked after and killed humanely. But I only ever buy food from supermarkets, so I can never be sure.

I don't know what the area you live in is like but here there are a few butchers who have ethical businesses, obviously it means that you pay more.

I'm pressuming you still eat eggs, cheese, milk?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    At least you won't eat any pets.

That's Bregt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't know what the area you live in is like but here there are a few butchers who have ethical businesses, obviously it means that you pay more.

I'm pressuming you still eat eggs, cheese, milk?

Yep. But I'm careful about where I buy that from too. I try to always get free range eggs and get milk delivered (but I'm still not sure the milk is "safe" to drink, so to speak?) I'm certainly never having a KFC ever again!

Ah! Damn moral crisis! I love animals too much. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't know if you'd remember that I used to slam people here for eating Big Macs, KFC etc, however, I have to admit there are times when the boozeometer has turned me into a hypocrite.

it's a rare occurence though, honest to godly guv shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The last thing I want to do is appear judgemental of anyone who eats meat! That's not it at all. I'm just concerned with the welfare of the animals and those who allow the torture of animals to happen. Your regular KFC shopper isn't the one torturing animals, they just consume the end product. And, again, I haven't a leg to stand on since I've been eating meat for so many years. On the other hand, I feel very strongly about treating animals humanly and not letting them suffer. That video I posted above makes me feel physically sick. I almost couldn't watch it.

For the record, I've never got a 'judgemental' vibe from you - and I've posted many a McDonalds related comment in the past.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Appreciated, and I've never had a judgemental vibe from you either nor most others here at this board come to think of it.

And remember, only God or Bregt can judge us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    During my "time off" from the forum, I've since become a vegetarian (!). My parents have actually been vegetarian for as long as I've known them, but they've never forced me to be vegetarian. Not once. I have very much the same attitude, and I NEVER play the 'moral card' if I'm with someone eating meat. And unfortunately, I LOVE meat. So it's been very hard to stop eating it after all these years, and I only explain my case in special circumstances. So I thought I'd explain it here on the forum as I wanted to share it, but without forcing the issue down people's throats. This particular video explains far better than I do why I don't eat meat anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … rSnQVajo#!

It's 12 minutes and tough to watch. If you have time, try to watch it all. The video is full of harrowing images, but if you haven't got time to watch it all or don't want to, then at least skip to 3:55 just to get a small glimpse of the torture many animals the world over have to endure.

The only thing I would 'preach' about is to be careful where your meat is coming from and how it got there. So long as the animals are well looked after and slaughtered in a relatively humane way, then I don't see much problem. (But purely from a personal perspective, I've decided to quit meat altogether as it's very hard to be sure of these things. Fast food suppliers tend to be the worse offenders.)

Don't worry though, I still drink, swear and make inappropriate politically incorrect jokes.

Seems like cherrypicking of the worst clips they could possibly find, and then calling it "standard practice". No doubt there are problems that need to be addressed, and the occasional mistreatment of animals, but to call these instances standard practice seems rather dishonest to me. All my critical thinking senses start tinkling when I see videos like that. I'm like spider-man, but I sense bullshit, instead of danger.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To me, even if this kind of thing happens only very occasionally -even if it was once every 100 years- it makes me angry.

The fact that this doesn't represent the majority of slaughter or not is not what worries me, it's the fact that it represents it at all. It's horrible, disgusting and should not happen ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (I'm not angry with you Peter, I just feel very strongly about animal welfare. shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It makes me angry too. The video is absolutely horrible.

Personally I don't care about the death of animals, as long as they're done painlessly. What I care about is the life quality of animals and avoidance of pain. If they live happy and carefree lives with plenty of food, and are snuffed off before even realizing that they are in peril, I think that's a way better scenario than not existing at all or even what animals have to go through had they lived a natural life, where pain and a horrible death are inevitable.

Cattle and chickens are some of the most succesful species that ever existed on planet Earth, and they'd go extinct if we stopped munching them.

I've changed my buying habits moderately, by avoiding veal, fois gras and focusing on free-range chickens. But I doubt I'll ever be able to give up meat entirely, even though I have some sympathy for the vegetarian cause. I only have respect for people who do, so lotsa kudos.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quality of life and responsibility to the food chain.
    To me it's as simple as that.

We're at the top.
    We get to decide.
    And because we're at the top and intelligent (in the sense of aware of potential consequences, able to formulate long-term strategies and feel regret and guilt), we need to treat the rest of the foodchain ethically.

That's why I will happily support the increased support, regulation and implementation of more animal-friendly livestock farms. This will make the meat more expensive, and that is fine with me.
    And that financial consequence may make me eat a little less meat.
    But never stop entirely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011 edited
    This evening I had a Mexican feast of home made burritos, red tomato rice, guacamole and tortilla chips lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    I'm jealous! But I have veal in the oven cooked the greek way and I know someone it going to ask for the recipe! wink