• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013
    I don't even know what pancake batter is. I know what a pancake is, though. I just never thought it was possible to combine pancakes with fish! dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013 edited
    I think Erik has to be careful what he's talking about, to do the cod you use batter mix but no eggs.

Time to get it from the horses mouth...

Whatcha on about Erik?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Pancake batter is what you make pancakes with. wink

You can buy the store bought stuff (which I use out of convenience - that's the powder that you add water and eggs to - I have a mix that just adds water) or you can make it from scratch which is really easy as well.

Like I said, I've made the best chicken wings, fish and freid chicken with the stuff. Amazing flavour and great crunch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're all mouth Erik.

Recipes ( including batter mix ) NOW PLEASE!

all said in a muchly nice way of course wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Why the hell are you guys talking about BATTERS?!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't use a recepe... it's all in my head... but here's a simple one.

BATTER FRIED FISH
    1 c. pancake flour
    1 egg
    3/4 c. milk
    1 tsp. paprika
    2-3 tbsp. sugar

Mix together pancake flour, egg, milk, paprika, and sugar. Can be thickened with pancake flour or thinned with milk according to taste. Batter coats 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of fillets.

Pat fish fillets dry on paper towel. Dip fillets in batter mix and place in hot oil for several minutes until done. Pan fry the fish fillets by putting 1" to 1 1/2" of oil in a skillet. Turn fillets halfway through cooking.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pancake flour?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds good, but isn't it awfully sweet?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    However, with chicken wings I dip them in the batter then place on a large cutting board. I then sprinkle a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper over the top of them. Infuses flavour into the wing while frying. After frying I then slather on home made buffalo chicken wing sauce (or you can add any sauce you'd like)

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Pancake flour?

aka Pancake mix. I use the stuff on the right. Just add water! Make really good pancakes, too.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Sounds good, but isn't it awfully sweet?

I'd skip the added sugar.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It sounds good. I'll have to try it.

I'll have to give you my recipe for British traditional deep fried cod in batter, I can't give it off the top of my head as it needs more accuracy in measurements ( which I have written down somewhere ).
  1. I thought, "15 new posts!! People have varied opinions on strawberry flavoured cider!"

I should have known better. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    It sounds good. I'll have to try it.

I'll have to give you my recipe for British traditional deep fried cod in batter, I can't give it off the top of my head as it needs more accuracy in measurements ( which I have written down somewhere ).

Thanks. Not sure if you know this but the other side of my family are all Newfies so eating traditional deep fried cod is something I'm used to and something they take pride in. However, I would love to try your recipe.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought, "15 new posts!! People have varied opinions on strawberry flavoured cider!"

Cider goes in the 'drink, drink, drink' thread, Alan. And no, I don't have any opinion on that, as I don't drink cider. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. "Newfies" - I had to look that up.

So Newfoundland is comparable to New England culture-wise?

(When Germany was re-united in 1990 westies used to call the land of their long lost brothers and sisters "Neufünfland" in reference to the five new federal states. Of course "Neufünfland" sounds a bit like "Neufundland", the newly found land.)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote

I can't say. I don't have a lot of experience with people from New England.

You can read up about Newfoundland culture HERE!

-Erik-
  3. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I thought, "15 new posts!! People have varied opinions on strawberry flavoured cider!"

Cider goes in the 'drink, drink, drink' thread, Alan. And no, I don't have any opinion on that, as I don't drink cider. smile

shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

-Erik-

John Williams was stationed in Newfoundland when he was in the air force. Just to bring some on-topic content to the thread. By the way, did you know that John Williams' ancestors on his mother's side had Canadian roots, Erik? That should make you proud.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

-Erik-

John Williams was stationed in Newfoundland when he was in the air force. Just to bring some on-topic content to the thread. By the way, did you know that John Williams' ancestors on his mother's side had Canadian roots, Erik? That should make you proud.

Yup! There was even a write up about Williams in one of the local papers while he was stationed there.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, that newspaper clip has proven to be one of the most useful resources for my research. It was actually written right before he got transferred to St. Johns, Newfoundland.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wonder what food he ate while he was there?

(and then we're back on track).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    LOL! Here's the article for those interested!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    And my bad....the article was obviously written after he had arrived at Pepperell, but a few months before his discharge. Got my facts mixed up there for a moment.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013
    Where's his real roots from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Where's his real roots from?

Ah, don't get me started! smile

Well, if you go back to the early 1600's, the maternal ancestors come from Europe, of course. But since then, it's been either Canada or USA -- even for several generations before USA became USA in 1776! The only odd exception is Williams' great-grandparents David Towner and Emilie Roberteau -- father came from England and mother from France. I can only glean from that that David's parents travelled to England from Canada and borne him there. Then David travelled back to North America and Quebec in the mid 1800's (like so many other Europeans at the time). It's an odd detour, but there you go.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Ancestry - that could be an interesting thread actually.

I can trace my ancestors back to circa 1680. On the parental side the family descends from Westphalia and the Ruhr area. But my surname is Slesian, so further back my anstestors must have trecked westward.

On the maternal side my my ancestores descend from Austrian Bohemia and lives there up until the end of World War II.

Since Slesia was Austrian, too, up untill the Prussian-Austrian war, I am by heritage Austrian.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013 edited
    Yes that would be fascinating. Mine are Irish, Scottish and French decent but I don't know all the details at all, something for me to look into personally.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013 edited
    I've just eaten a bag of Cashew Nuts, a bag of salted Peanuts and a packet of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps lick

Unlike Thor, I'm more of a nuts person than a crisps person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    I've just eaten a bag of Cashew Nuts, a bag of salted Peanuts and a packet of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps lick

My man! punk
    I am extremely serious.