• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2012 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, from Flanders, maybe, but I doubt it.
    Suggest cheese and bear to someone from Wallonia ... and duck and cover!

Have you tried beer and cheese pairing? And I'm not talking about pairing cheese with ordinary, mass produced macro beers. While wine and cheese is a far more traditional pairing approach, craft beer and cheese are NATURALLY meant to be together. That's a fact! And that's not just an Erik fact that's a fact, fact!

Don't slam it until you've tried it! You will be amazed how well they play together!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik, I live in Westfalia, Germany. Belgium the Czech Rep. / Slovakia aside there is no place in continental Europe where people drink more beer than here. There are more private breweries in Germany per km² than anywhere else in the world. That is a fact. (I mean an empirically proven fact, not an Erik-is-headstrong-fact. kiss )

And even here there is a consensus among the learned that most (!) cheese goes better with wine than with beer. You are righ, there are exemptions: Gouda and Pilsner (And Pils is NOT Lager!) go together well. But beer and any kind of mould cheese is an absolute no-go!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    But beer and any kind of mould cheese is an absolute no-go!

Volker

I emphatically disagree with that statement. Mould cheeses go brilliantly with Barley Wines, Belgian quads, porters, and American IPA's. This is an undisputed fact!

There is no such thing as a no-go when it comes to beer and cheese.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    But beer and any kind of mould cheese is an absolute no-go!

Volker

I emphatically disagree with that statement. Mould cheeses go brilliantly with Barley Wines, Belgian quads, porters, and American IPA's. This is an undisputed fact!

Clearly both the words "undisputed" and "fact" have become rather more loosely defined since I last looked. dizzy

In this case "acquired taste" would be the very closest I would be happy to come to that particular pairing of comestibles!
    smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    GAWD BLIMEY! shut yer traps and pass that cheese n' beer over here. eat drink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Again, have any of you tried pairing cheese with beer?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

I'll happily leave you the beer if you would be so kind as to leave me the cheese to accompany the most lovely port I have had in ages!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

I wish you lived next door. Lots of beer and cheese to try here! There's also some of the squashed alcholoic grape juice for you close minded folks here as well. wink. But the cool people will be sampling beer with me!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Again, have any of you tried pairing cheese with beer?

-Erik-

I did.
    I was rather drunk, and there was nothing else left in the house.

It was an occasion most sincerely not to be repeated.

(It wasn't a disaster. But then, neither would Pepsi have been. Or orange juice. But as a taste it didn't pair well at all for me!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What exactly did you have? If you can remember... wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I wish you lived next door. Lots of beer and cheese to try here! There's also some of the squashed alcholoic grape juice for you close minded folks here as well. wink. But the cool people will be sampling beer with me!

-Erik-

I'd love to Erik cool

I have loads of different cheeses here too but not much in the way of a beer selection, I'm more of a traditionalist and will have wine or port with different cheeses.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Will pleasy sombody be so kind and tell this newbie where you get all this fancy smilies from that I don't seem to be able to find in the "smilies-box"? Thanks! wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Go to the 'sticky' thread New Members, you'll find all the emoticons there chicken
  3. Timmer wrote
    Go to the 'sticky' thread New Members, you'll find all the emoticons there chicken

Found them. Thanks! : xmas-drunk :
  4. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    What exactly did you have? If you can remember... wink

-Erik-

Aaaaahhhhhhh....ermmmm..... I'm sure I know this...yes, yes, it was ...something ...with hop.
    I think.

shame

No seriously, for the life of me I wouldn't know, and certainly I am severly biased as in all honesty I simply don't like beer in general that much. Don't hate it, but there's only certain beers I tend to enjoy and even then only on the most rare of occasions.

I think though generally speaking that it's the fizz rather than the taste of beer that I find a poor combination. I could imagine some (very dark and heavy) beers that as a matter of taste would go great with cheese.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

confused

biggrin

You have to leave no space between the colon and the description!
    A better annotation might have been <colon><no space!>xmas-drunk<no space!><colon>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012
    christmas_drunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    christmas_drunk

For you I think it's a state of mind rather than a mere emoticon... wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    christmas_drunk

For you I think it's a state of mind rather than a mere emoticon... wink

biggrin

You're absolutely right......I'm surprised I managed even that tiny post without editing dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lots of Greek cuisine goodness over at parents'-in-law here during the last 4-5 days, and lots of good ol' red wine (my favorite local brands). There's potatoes, pork of all kinds, chicken, turkey, salads, feta cheese, salads again, tzatziki, yogurts, bread, lots of bread, sausages, ham, damn i lost count over the 2 kilos i already gained since coming here. You can take our moneys but you can never take our big fat greek kitchen (although it has skimmed tremendously during the last couple of years, we only save all those treats for the holidays) wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Glad you and yours had a good one D hug

We had a great time here too though dinner was a bit late ( 7.00pm and I cooked ) everyone agreed it was delicious*

*tapping a bass ball bat in my palm while I asked how dinner was had nothing to do with their gracious comments, of course. wink
  5. This is all making me very hungry (or thirsty, as you will...)

We spent Christmas at home again this year, so it was just myself, my wife, our daughter and our lazy dog. What was new this year was that we found other like-minded neighbors were staying in town too, so we planned a neighborhood Christmas dinner. In the end it turned out to be just us and one other couple (lots of sick toddlers), but my wife made chicken and dumplings that were typically amazing (I lucked out here; my wife is a great cook), and besides that there was a whole assortment of roasted things, starchy things, buttery things, cheesy things, sweet things and alcoholic things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm making an appetizer for my family's Christmas gathering tomorrow. It's an appetizer I've never made before and I hope it tastes good. It look phenomenal when I saw it being made on the Food Network the other day. Anyway, it's creamed blue cheese stuffed in dates wrapped in prosciutto. It's super easy to make but I just hope all the flavours work together. But I don't see why not. The bitter hit of the cheese with the sweetness of the date and the saltiness of the prosciutto. Seems like a winner to me.

-Erik-

Sounds delicious, except for the blue cheese. If I would prepare this (hey I like easy stuff like this) then I would go for cream cheese or goat cheese or something like that. But I love dates.
    lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012
    Some buttered French stick and a chunk of Brie lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013 edited
    I made myself some Mozzerella-en-Carrozza with a side of garnished salad... yum! yum!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008 … ecipe.html

I tailored the recipe for one person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013 edited
    Sounds good, although a bit too 'saladey' for my taste. I need my meat and fat and salt!

Just now consuming my third bag of chips for the weekend!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. No munchies
    no sweets
    no fast food
    and very little alcohol
    in 2013.

So far it has worked out!

Cheers!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    Got some chicken legs ticking over on the hob in a rich tomato, red pepper and paprika based sauce which I'll add some fresh parsley and sour cream to at the end and serve with homemade potato wedges and some crusty bread.

lick

A late dinner, granted, but I still love cooking from scratch when I get the opportunity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013
    LSH wrote
    Got some chicken legs ticking over on the hob in a rich tomato, red pepper and paprika based sauce which I'll add some fresh parsley and sour cream to at the end and serve with homemade potato wedges and some crusty bread.

lick

A late dinner, granted, but I still love cooking from scratch when I get the opportunity.

Good man Lee, sounds ruddy excellent! lick