• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013 edited
    Brought back some recipes from Malaysia I'm dying to try: Beef Rendang, Chicken Percik, Malay satay lick ...now only to figure out where on earth I can find the required spices.... I've never even heard of some of those!
    Tamarind pulp? Belacan granules? Galangal? Candlenuts? dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013
    Make sure to post your recipes here Martijn, I'd love to have a go at them too.

Y
    Tamarind pulp isn't a problem here ( I even have some ) but the rest I've not heard of, a google might help you find close alternatives if you can't find those exact ingredients?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure thing.
    I'll give it a go one of these days and then post the original recipes and any substitutions I may have had to make.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have just googled those ingredients, apart from the candlenuts I'm 99% certain I can get all those ingredients locally ( we have Malaysian, Vietnamese, Chinese "supermarkets" ), all the fancy restaurants must get their stuff from somewhere?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    I've just eaten the worlds tastiest Cottage Pie, I ate ALL OF IT and am now bloated and immovable eat smile
  1. Now, don't tell us fairy tales, will you? The whole word knows that the English can't cook. devil

(The exception beeing tea of course.)

And now I'm going to eat my sauerkraut. I always do that wearing my spiked helmet. biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Unhealthy weekend again. Already had a bag of potatoe chips and half a store-bought pizza (didn't feel like making one). Plus a big bar of chocolate with almond and caramels. Will be having a bowl of popcorn soon.

I'm fatter now than I've ever been in my whole life! Hilarious.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Now, don't tell us fairy tales, will you? The whole word knows that the English can't cook. devil

(The exception beeing tea of course.)

And now I'm going to eat my sauerkraut. I always do that wearing my spiked helmet. biggrin

Lies perpetrated by the French tongue

Sauerkraut eh? No Frankfurters with that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I've just eaten the worlds tastiest Cottage Pie, I ate ALL OF IT and am now bloated and immovable eat smile

I'm still FULL! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013
    To assist with the arthritis in my stroke hand (left) I've been making a loaf or two of bread from scratch. Saturday I made a loaf of Anadama bread which uses black strap molasses for sweetener, corn meal (1/2 cup), unbleached bread flour (higher in protein). It is a slow riser but the results are a great bread especially toasted with good jam. See I do know a little more than golden age scores smile

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. I made chicken curry* with basmati rice today. Very tasty!

I cut my left thump while cutting the chicken filet. So the bird took revenge for beeing killed. I ate it anyway. With gusto. smile

* with curry paste, cocos milk, bananas, some banana juice (apple juice is nice, too) and all sorts of curry powder
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I made chicken curry* with basmati rice today. Very tasty!

I cut my left thump while cutting the chicken filet. So the bird took revenge for beeing killed. I ate it anyway. With gusto. smile

* with curry paste, cocos milk, bananas, some banana juice (apple juice is nice, too) and all sorts of curry powder

I'm having Indian food tonight but am taking the easy option and having a takeaway delivery from my favourite Indian restaurant lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Unhealthy weekend again. Already had a bag of potatoe chips and half a store-bought pizza (didn't feel like making one). Plus a big bar of chocolate with almond and caramels. Will be having a bowl of popcorn soon.

I'm fatter now than I've ever been in my whole life! Hilarious.

It's not hilarious, it's sad. You should stop this route my dear friend, you're getting into huge troubles once you're no longer that young.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013
    Come on! Fat people are hilarious!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    INDEED THEY ARE THOR...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pitta bread toasted with cheese and tomatoes ...nosh nosh nosh eat lick
  3. Roast chicken dinner with a cheeky little Chardonnay/Viognier.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Roast chicken dinner with a cheeky little Chardonnay/Viognier.

Quality. lick
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I made chicken curry* with basmati rice today. Very tasty!

I'm having Indian food tonight but am taking the easy option and having a takeaway delivery from my favourite Indian restaurant lick

... and? Did you eat well?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013 edited
    But of course. shame <--full

It's a very popular takeaway/restaurant for a reason, because it's excellent. The UK is spoilt for choice on Indian food but like anywhere some are better than others.

I've been told there aren't many Indian eateries in Germany, my girlfriends step-mom is German ( they live in Bremen ) and every time they visit us we always hit an Indian restaurant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

It's a very popular takeaway/restaurant for a reason, because it's excellent. The UK is spoilt for choice on Indian food but like anywhere some are better than others.

I've been told there aren't many Indian eateries in Germany, my girlfriends step-mom is German ( they live in Bremen ) and every time they visit us we always hit an Indian restaurant.

One of the best Indian meals I ever had was in London.....can't remember the restaurant's name (Queen's something?).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

One of the best Indian meals I ever had was in London.....can't remember the restaurant's name (Queen's something?).

Same here. The best Indian foot I ever tasted was in London. Yeah, there are not so much Indian restaurants in Germany. Chinese restaurants at every corner, even in small cities. In big cities like Bremen though, there should be a few "Tandori" places.
    Anyway, I once read that "Chicken Curry" isn't really an Indian dish but an Eglish one, that it is indeed England's favourite. (Not beef with mint sauce and Yorkshire pudding.)

Volker smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013 edited
    Well, "curry" is just an all encompassing name for varied spices and not only applies to Indian but to Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan and many more countries of South East Asian origin. There are plenty of authentic Indian chicken dishes. The English one you refer to is Chicken Massala but the authenticity of that is in dispute too.

P.s. Beef with a Yorkshire pudding. Lamb with mint sauce. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Same here. The best Indian foot I ever tasted was in London.)

Best Indian fooT, eh? Well, to each their own. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Same here. The best Indian foot I ever tasted was in London.)

Best Indian fooT, eh? Well, to each their own. wink

As long as it doesn't taste of Paneer dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2013
    Does anyone know why cat/dog food never includes pork?
  6. Timmer wrote
    Does anyone know why cat/dog food never includes pork?

If it's a 100% exclusion maybe it's because the same recipe is used worldwide and, on religious grounds, maybe pet owners don't want their pets eating pork?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    hmmm? But even as a child I never remember any 'pork' pet food? Perhaps the pet food industry is controlled by Jews?
  7. Timmer wrote
    hmmm? But even as a child I never remember any 'pork' pet food? Perhaps the pet food industry is controlled by Jews?

I read that, apparently, it's not because of Judaism but rather Islam.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea … tains-pork
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But does that explain things going back decades when there was no such thing as PC.