• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    KevinSmith wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Some comments on IMDB about TDK´s score:

"To accompany the atmosphere is the tremendous music score by movie music maestros, James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer. With talents like these, the score is unforgettable. It is dark and moody at times, and throbbing and glorious yet dark during the action sequences. It deserves an Oscar".

"Brilliant score by James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer".

".. the music is extremely disconcerted compared with the 'majestic but unfinished' tones of Begins - but it suits the film's tone: Anarchy in every sense".

"Hans Zimmer's contribution to this film was amazing. As always, he manages to create such unique music that perfectly fits this movie".

"Sound - There are at least 3 or 4 scenes where this piercing noise gets louder and it causes suspense. After the first 2 scenes with it I liked it but thought it was over done on the 4th and 5th go. I can't see Dark Knight soundtracks flying off shelves".

People on IMDB don't know anything.

Probably, but they rarely mention the score; that´s why I posted those comments.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    From the latest interview at Scorenotes.com biggrin :

HZ: "Some people have sent me stuff from, I'm not sure if it was your web site or somebody else's... me of course more than James because James is the nicer guy and the better composer... I'm getting savaged by some people"

Scorenotes: "Filmtracks..."

HZ: "Oh, yeah... and in a way I'm loving it because you certainly realize that I'm doing exactly the job I'm supposed to be doing, which is I'm supposed ato be ahead of the taste, i'm supposed to be ahead of..."

JNH: "To do that is such idiocy. I love it when people write about something and they just reveal how much they don't know about what they're writing"

HZ: "It's very interesting for instance reading about these things and them truly not having a clue how a movie is made and how movie scores are made..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas wrote
    HZ: "It's very interesting for instance reading about these things and them truly not having a clue how a movie is made and how movie scores are made..."

Well Hans, at least we have something in common!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas wrote

Interesting interview for sure. Good to hear Howard speak his mind. "The Postman was a terrible movie!"

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is an ARVO PART's FRATRES FOR STRINGS redux. Listen to this and then we talk wink

That's mostly one big 6 minute cue in the middle of a 70 minute score. There are other references in the score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008
    Why did they decide to hire two film composers for one movie (as well as the previous one)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Wyatt wrote
    Why did they decide to hire two film composers for one movie (as well as the previous one)?

Cause Hans and James wanted to work together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm liking The Dark Knight more and more with each listen!
    Quite a few very impressive cues that have grown on me! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Southall wrote
    Thomas wrote

Well Hans, at least we have something in common!

Hans is far more experienced in writing film scores than you! biggrin

Hans Zimmer:
    http://imdb.com/name/nm0001877/

James Southall:
    http://imdb.com/name/nm2979746/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2008
    The Dark Knight LIVE Score Performance Zimmer & Howard 7.14.08

-> http://youtube.com/watch?v=LXVimLtODks
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas wrote

I'M WIGGIN OUT MAN! spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thomas wrote

Muy bueno, amigo mio! Terrific stuff!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas wrote

Interesting interview for sure. Good to hear Howard speak his mind. "The Postman was a terrible movie!"

lol

-Erik-

sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    OMG! I finally saw this movie (on IMAX!!!!) and it's awesome! Great story. Batman IS what Gotham deserves. So much tragedy and greatness built into this story, just like an epic Greek fable. Homer would be sooooo proud. Christian Bale is perfect. Just like Heath Ledger (who IS the Joker!). And Aaron Eckhart's role/character is heartbreaking. Gary Oldman does a great job too. As is Maggie Gyllenha l(sp?) who did a great job with the small, yet very important role.

Onto the music....

Seems like only 65% of what's on the album is in the movie. And most of that doesn't include the good stuff. There's this one instance, the hostage rescue sequence, where the new theme (the rising obstinato strings featured in Like a Dog Chasing Cars) works like gang buster! I mean holy crap(!) what an amazing integration of action and music and SFX, the tension really build and build and build.... The Joker "theme" or as I'd like to call it, a sonic signature, really alerts you to his insidiousness, telling you that what's gonna happen next is something that involves the Joker. I find this similar to having the flapping sound be the signifier for Batman.

Anyway. I love it! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GREAT MOVIE!!!!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Thomas wrote

Ridiculous!
    I don't dislike the score for TDK, despit the fact that I had hoped for something... more... whatsoever. But this live performance is just looking absolutely rediculous and may give way to the Zimmer/NH basher to argue that this score was crafted on keyboard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    Hans and James always compose their scores on keyboard. The times of composers who write the notes on a sheet of paper are over.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Listened to Jonathan Ross on radio the other day and he was less than impressed with the movie.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Listened to Jonathan Ross on radio the other day and he was less than impressed with the movie.

Really? Wow, that's surprising. Judging from what I've read, I think I'm gonna love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

That's good for Mr Ross. What's your opinion about the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The live performance reminded me of 15 year-old rock bands. The worrying thought is that the sound of the video - IF IT'S the actual live sound and not overdub from the actual score i can't really tell on crappy youtube video quality and crappy laptop speakers i am currently at, sounds identical to the score itself which is supposedly performed by an actual orchestra confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Really? Wow, that's surprising. Judging from what I've read, I think I'm gonna love it.

That's what surprised me because if there is one critic I'll listen to when it comes to comic book films then it's Jonathan Ross, the man really knows his stuff when it comes to this genre.

p.s. I can't repeat it because I didn't buy the paper, but in yesterdays News of The World was the most gushing review I'd ever read that went overboard on everything including Zimmer & JNH's score.....made me feel queesy vomit wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    The live performance reminded me of 15 year-old rock bands. The worrying thought is that the sound of the video - IF IT'S the actual live sound and not overdub from the actual score i can't really tell on crappy youtube video quality and crappy laptop speakers i am currently at, sounds identical to the score itself which is supposedly performed by an actual orchestra confused

Did you see At world's end live performance? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008

Where does any of thematic material for Batman fit in here?

HZ Obviously The Batman Theme from the last movie, well the world corroded a little around him and things didn’t work out quite as well as he thought they were going to work, so even the Batman music has a little less straight heroic quality. The notes shift slightly.

JNH It’s interesting when you refer to the music for Batman, it’s like we’re talking about the eight hundred pound gorilla in the room, The Batman Theme or lack thereof.

HZ I had a plan on Batman Begins which was very simple; I wanted a completely iconic Batman statement. To do something iconic you have to keep it very short and very succinct and its two notes, really two notes and an ostinato (motif or phrase which is persistently repeated in the same musical voice). It’s what we call the ‘bat flaps,’ that sound. After the movie came out people where saying, ‘Where’s the big Batman Theme?’ meaning, ‘Where’s something like that Danny Elfman tune?’ I actually had a go at writing one of those, the big superhero tune, but very quickly I stopped myself because the one thing I didn’t want to do was ‘superhero’ because what I think makes Batman interesting is that he’s the human who is hiding behind the mask and lives by a certain vaguely old fashioned philosophy. I keep saying to people who expect me to do the happy singing and dancing heroic superhero type tune, ‘Start breathing again, stop holding your breath, it aint going to happen.’ It’s not going to happen in this one, it’s not going to happen in the next one because once Chris had finished writing and I saw where he was going with this movie and once we had finished talking about where we were going with this movie, we came to the conclusion that this is a singular world that we had to score which had noting to do with the previous movies. Yes, are the two notes there in The Dark Knight? Absolutely!

JNH But even more than the two notes, all these insularly ostinatos, some of the sounds, the voicing, some of the percussion, even though its all been redone, re-performed, reconceived in a lot of ways, it’s incumbent upon us, I feel to give the audience and to fulfill an expectation and emotions of that great thing when you hear the ‘bat flaps,’ when you hear the two notes; it’s thrilling because you’ve been there before. It’s the sequel to a big movie, its fun.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas wrote

Anyone got a new link of that video btw? It's been removed..anyone saved it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote

Do you really NEED / WANT to watch it again? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote

It's for other reasons wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...do we want to know? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote

Ah, ok, for a moment you´ve scared me biggrin That video was, well, horrible!

Steven wrote
    ...do we want to know? shocked

Yes, we wanna know, we wanna know tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas wrote

Am i the only one who enjoyed this video??? I find they cool!!!

Specially his way to leave. And both in Black. punk