• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sounds like the material airlines in Africa use to fix their planes.

Why not, they use it to fix helicopters in Nepal wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    Everything that can replace the poison of this planet that (non biodegradable) plastic is, gets my vote. I like digipacks a lot! Especially since I don't have to be a handyman to get the cover out of the plastic frontside, which with these new cd cases is harder than ever.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    Ok....here we are...

The video of the recording sessions contains Bruce wayne theme played with strings instead Piano ( wich is what it is played in Barbastella and in Agent of Chaos)

Dammed! crazy

(Every time I love the score more and more. I really feel this muscular, Dark, Ghotic and Nightmarish mood!!! I really find this typical Zimmer string kicks perfect for Batman )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Ok....here we are...

The video of the recording sessions contains Bruce wayne theme played with strings instead Piano ( wich is what it is played in Barbastella and in Agent of Chaos)

Link please....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Ok....here we are...

Link please....

http://www.thedarkknightscore.com/

The video...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    GAVIN GREENAWAY...EXISTS!
  2. Anthony wrote
    GAVIN GREENAWAY...EXISTS!

LOL biggrin biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Ok....here we are...

Link please....

http://www.thedarkknightscore.com/

The video...

Thanks!
  3. Now that I´ve finally seen the movie, I can share my thoughts...

Before I talk about the score, let me just say that The Dark Knight was a deeply disturbing movie for me. I didn´t know what to think about it after I left the theatre, and usually, this means a lot. If I like a movie immediately, you can bet it´s pure, enjoyable popcorn, but if I can´t put my hands on it, there´s usually much more behind it. And damn, I love to think about a movie for a much longer time than it takes me to drive the car from the theatre lot. Shyamalan does that to me regularly, and Nolan´s Prestige did it as well. I liked Batman Begins very much, but more on the popcorn level. This movie was different.

I had heard a lot about it and although I was very pissed about the late release in Germany, I managed to avoid most spoiler stuff. I read a lot of spoilerfree reviews, though, and got a general picture about this movie being something much deeper. So I started to expect something much deeper. It became so unnerving how well received, how well reviewed the movie was, that my expectations became bigger and bigger. Due to all those positive reactions, I wasn´t afraid about being disappointed in the end, but hell, I promise, when I left the theatre, I was so deep into thoughts that for a very short moment I even thought the movie sucked.

Well, of course it didn´t. having thought it through and through, I´ve come to the conclusion that, of course, it isn´t the second coming of movies. But it certainly is Nolan´s Empire strikes back, there can be no doubt about that. The issues it deals with are deep and wonderfully explored, the actors are on top of it all, and the story is so well done you really loose every contact with the reality of standard story development. This movie takes its absolute freedom to fuck your expectations, and every time you think what this is about, this ship is changing course.

Not one of the best movies ever, but a great movie. A really, really good one.

Now on to the score.

Every guy who has been here for a while knows how I think about Zimmer scores, and some may even remember me saying that JNH is my favourite composer. Batman Begins was a dream come true, and although I think Zimmer´s voice almost drowned Howard in it, there was certain sense of James´ stuff in it which gave it the exact amount of greatness I needed. I watched the movie before I heard anything about the score, and hell, was I blown away. The album must have been played a zillion times in our car and in our house, I used it in RPG sessions, I use it as background writing, it has become the score I plaed most in recent years.

That said about my expectations for The Dark Knight, I think this score is a beast that has to be tamed by getting swallowed and picking it in the stomach, until it lets you out by its own free will and will give you everything you want after that.

The Joker´s Theme is pure genius, it´s as simple as that. You have to hate it from an easy listening point of view, but that´s the point. You´re not supposed to dream well by being put to sleep by Hermann scores, you´re supposed to get the shit scared out of you, and after seen the movie, the Joker Theme works so well I can´t put words to it.

The Harvey Dent Theme directly grew out of BB´s lighter Gotham Theme, and it certainly fits like a glove, in every version of it.

The two-note4 Bat fanfare is back, it has many dramatic apperances, and I like them all. Oh, I specifically like how we get introduced to the BatMan in this movie, and how he is overall presented as Gotham´s James Bond, complete with his own Q and Moneypenny (God, I adore Freeman and Caine). I love his trip to HK, and I love how everything starts to slip away under his feet.

And that´s what the score does, too. The right choices were made, without a question, though I´d personally like to hunt down Nolan and smack him for not using Like A Dog Chasing Cars in that scene where, well, you know which one...

The finale is fantastic, both in the movie and on CD, and I think A Dark Knight has been played two hundred times since I decided to buy the score from amazon.co.uk (MUCH faster and cheaper than amazon.de). That monster track is without any doubt a great, fantastic, mind-blowing suite of every feeling that the title of Dark Knight evokes.

Personally, I think the album could have been slightly shorter, but I love to have as much stuff as possible, so i can edit my own version easily.

So, what do I think in the end? Of course, this is just another of those modern style scores, but we´ve had the discussion and you know my opinion. A score has to fit its movie. This one does like a well crafted Bat suite should.

And well, it´s Zimmer, it´s Howard, it´s great, what else should I give it? 10/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    Yay for long posts! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, the film obviously afcted you Ralph judging byyour lengthy post smile

Most of my friends have seen it, most have loved it, some thought it was good but overlong but none said it was crap.

Seems I'll be the last to see it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But it certainly is Nolan´s Empire strikes back, there can be no doubt about that. The issues it deals with are deep and wonderfully explored, the actors are on top of it all, and the story is so well done you really loose every contact with the reality of standard story development. This movie takes its absolute freedom to fuck your expectations, and every time you think what this is about, this ship is changing course.

Spot on, Ralph.
    The sentiments you describe here mirror my own very closely.

(I disagree with everything else you wrote, though. tongue )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Timmer wrote
    Well, the film obviously afcted you Ralph judging byyour lengthy post smile

I didn´t know it would become such a long post, but I had an unexpected visit and had to press the send button without further editing. I hope you like it anyway.

Most of my friends have seen it, most have loved it, some thought it was good but overlong but none said it was crap.

It really is very long and feels that way too, but it´s the kind of long where you start to wonder how big this movie is going to get and not when you´ll be able to walk out of it (like the Rings movies or Aliens, which is probably the best long action movie I know).

Seems I'll be the last to see it?

I didn´t know whether I was the last one or not, so I tried to avoid spoilers.
  5. Martijn wrote
    The sentiments you describe here mirror my own very closely.

I really liked your review and share your thoughts on almost every level regarding to the movie.

(I disagree with everything else you wrote, though. tongue )

Of course I know how some people feel about the score, and nothing I´ll say will change that. Let me just add that I consider the 10/10 to be VERY much from my own point of view, it´s my personal scale that will fit with almost nobody elses. I think it might even hurt more if I told you that I range totally different scores like Cutthroat Island and ID4 on the same level, 10/10. Of course I know how different the approach is and that people are annoyed by the style, but on the other hand, a lot of young people wouldn´t listen to the classic score stuff ever, so there you go again. Taste it is. Consider me an easy-to-satisfy-guy then. tongue
  6. I think there were some blunders in the scoring and one of them was the finale. The Dent material worked very well.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Consider me an easy-to-satisfy-guy then.

Well I would not say easy to satisfy guy, I´d say a guy who can enjoy / appreciate / find its deep / etc in both modern AND classic kind of scoring, and a guy that doesn´t need to go to a pre-90´s score to find pleasure in music. Anyway, this has been deeply (and still is in another thread) discussed in the last weeks.
    And I repeat what I´ve said lots of times: there are composers today composing in a classic style / approach. They don´t work on the big blockbusters? OK, who cares, I mean, I won´t be listening the next Rombi score just because he does not write Transformers 2 or Terminator 34?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I find the whole blockbuster discussion unnecessary anyway. Even with the situation as it is, there are still many, many great classic style action/fantasy/adventure/entertainment movie scores.

Harry Potter, Star Wars Prequels, The Lord of the Rings, James Bond, The Golden Compass, X-Men, Spider-Man, Star Trek, King Kong... The list just goes on and on, and while it´s right we get less of this stuff each year, we still get it, plus the whole universe of "smaller" movies scored the classic way. Still more than enough to satisfy anyone, but somehow I get this feeling that the classic purists aren´t satisfied as long as time isn´t turned back.

But the last thing I wanted is to restart the discussion. I just felt an obligation to share my detailed opinion about the score, since I promised it to the man who helped to satisfy my early needs. You know who you are. Thanks again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE DARK KNIGHT was the most significant movie experience i had this year. An absolutely stunning, thinking-outside-the-box-fuck-you-Hollywood kind of movie but one which simultaneously brought up and underlined in bold EVERY single element grand Hollywood used to represent and all that it IS supposed to be before the fuckheads decided to ruin 90% of its today's outcome. All conducted by Nolan in a tremendously modern and very effective , smart way. The score is top-notch for the movie it was written and serves its purpose 100%. Glad you liked the whole experience Ralph, now you can read my small review in this thread without the fear of spoilers wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. Ralph Kruhm wroteI´d personally like to hunt down Nolan and smack him for not using Like A Dog Chasing Cars in that scene where, well, you know which one...

There's a dramatic reason why the music is not there, and I suspect many people who watched the film enjoyed the benefits of that without even realising it, except for the few random thousand who were expecting to hear an action cue tell you how to feel about a scene whose outcome was obviously intended to feel more uncertain than music would have allowed it to be. Most directors who leave out a music cue that otherwise fits the film do so for this reason, and I thought it was great to have a large scale action scene achieved largely through sound design. It recalled the great action scenes of the seventies (including the lightsabre fights of the original STAR WARS; the air chase at the end of CAPRICORN ONE; the car chases in BULLITT and FRENCH CONNECTION), where composers like Goldsmith and Williams weren't required to make things more exciting than they already were.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that's a very good point but you have to admit LIKE A DOG CHASING CARS is TOO GOOD of a piece to be left out. Wouldn't you agree that it HAD to fit it in somewhere along the movie? Perhaps not in the said scene but that it should definitely be used somewhere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think most of the score should definitely not have been used.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    There's a dramatic reason why the music is not there, and I suspect many people who watched the film enjoyed the benefits of that without even realising it, except for the few random thousand who were expecting to hear an action cue tell you how to feel about a scene whose outcome was obviously intended to feel more uncertain than music would have allowed it to be.

Oh, I absolutely understand why he did it, I just disagree. The effect you describe works great in scenes where there´s a kind of standoff, like the light sabre duel you mentioned. Sometimes it even works in big action scenes. But I´ve read more than a few complaints from people about music missing in that scene who have no idea about scoring and stuff. They didn´t think it made them feel uncomfortable, they just found it annoying that there was no music. But aside from that, I think to have that track at that specific scene, people would have been even more fooled about the outcome.

SPOILERAREAObviously, this is considered to be a heroic moment. Some might even have considered the movie to be over soon if Nolan had used that track. It just would have strenghtened the effect to see it all shredded to pieces a couple of minutes later.END OF SPOILER

I see where you´re coming from; I just disagree.

Martijn wrote
    I think most of the score should definitely not have been used.

i won´t even answer to that one. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But I´ve read more than a few complaints from people about music missing in that scene who have no idea about scoring and stuff.

Absolutely. The lack of music in that scene is, IMO, an act of pedantism and self importance. As if Nolan is saying: "look what an IMPORTANT and GREAT picture I´m making that I don´t need music in the ONLY long action sequence of the WHOLE movie". Come on, even if I think TDK is the best superhero movie EVER, Nolan shouldn´t have forgotten that even if you want a mature and serious approach to the character you don´t have to remind it every second of the footage. In a two and a half hour movie, 5 minutes of an epic cue chase for (insist) the only long action sequence of the film was necessary.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, that's a very good point but you have to admit LIKE A DOG CHASING CARS is TOO GOOD of a piece to be left out. Wouldn't you agree that it HAD to fit it in somewhere along the movie? Perhaps not in the said scene but that it should definitely be used somewhere?

I actually thought part of it had been used later in the film when Batman stormed the tower. (Finally, this is the part of the film where music probably needs to insist on Batman's heroism, Ralph, since he's attacking police to save innocents disguised as terrorists. That's a kind of heroism that is pretty unique to Batman. It wasn't so necessary in that earlier scene where he was racing to protect Eckhart. The character of Batman isn't on the line in the same way in that scene.)

But aside from that, I only really get annoyed when a piece of music isn't used when I know it would have worked much better. So I don't mind that Michael Nyman's epic nine minute 'The Burning' isn't used at all at the climax of THE CLAIM, since I think what remains works well. I remember being very annoyed at the end of ATONEMENT though, when the cue 'The Cottage by the Sea' was used instead of 'Atonement' for the closing moments of the film. The switch in music cues undermines Briony's sense of regret at the end.

In the case of DARK KNIGHT, I didn't even know that was the scene it was written for at the time, and only 'clicked' after seeing the whole film that that must have been what it was written for. I remember thinking how good it was to see an action scene that wasn't 'vectorized' with a power anthem. There's a very different sense of danger in the scene. It doesn't surprise me that a more modern audience would 'miss' music in the scene, but that tells you nothing about what was better, it only tells you what they are used to hearing these days.
  10. Marselus wrote
    The lack of music in that scene is, IMO, an act of pedantism and self importance. As if Nolan is saying: "look what an IMPORTANT and GREAT picture I´m making that I don´t need music in the ONLY long action sequence of the WHOLE movie".

From the audience member that evidently felt important enough to assume their instinct was better. wink
    (Btw, directing on the whole is pedantism at its most glorious. I've had a taste of the waters, and they are sweet indeed.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I actually thought part of it had been used later in the film when Batman stormed the tower. (Finally, this is the part of the film where music probably needs to insist on Batman's heroism, Ralph, since he's attacking police to save innocents disguised as terrorists. That's a kind of heroism that is pretty unique to Batman. It wasn't so necessary in that earlier scene where he was racing to protect Eckhart. The character of Batman isn't on the line in the same way in that scene.)

That was another piece, similar in structure to like a dog chasing cars which is also on the score Cd ( can't remember its title now ).
  11. Yes, I realised that later when I listened to the CD. At the time, I thought I was hearing a cut-up version of 'A dog chasing cars'. (To be honest, familiarity of the audience with music they thought was going to be in the film is part of the problem here. Nobody would have cared if the music hadn't been on the CD.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's true; but the nature of the piece and its overall quality influences the negative reaction too, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nobody would have cared if the music hadn't been on the CD.)

Obviously, if the cue isn´t used in the movie and hadn´t make it on the cd, nobody would have cared wink A least until it was leaked somehow in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    Obviously, when I have people who are totally oblivious to the world of scores, who talk about a scene where they sorely missed some music in the background, than that´s neither score fans missing their beloved track nor an audience who feel their instinct is more important than the director´s. It´s just people who watched a movie and thought, there´s music missing. They don´t think about uneasiness or stylistic importance or creative choices. But whatever it is, it detracts from what is happening on screen, SPOILERZONEand that is Batman rescuing Dent and capturing the Joker, how can that be anything else than a heroic moment, especially regarding to what´s happening after that and the point of the whoke scene is to make the audience believe that bastard is finished.END OF SPOILER Using the theme would have massively supported the movie at that point. Really, I´m all for experimenting, but that scene REALLY needed some serious beats.