• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Robocop - Poledouris

'Rock Shop' rocks! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    NP The Dark Knight (Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard)
    rolleyes
    Even less interesting than I was expecting.
    Anyway,

The Good: "Harvey Two-Face": good theme for Harvey Dent and a nice final reprise of JNH´s Love Theme from Batman Begins.
    "Like a Dog Chasing Cars": great action track with new arrangements of a previous theme. But why, IN THE NAME OF GOD, didn´t they use here the THEME we heard in the end credits of Batman Begins in its epic version ?! It would have been amazing! crazy
    In fact, there´s not a single presentation of that theme in all the soundtrack.
    "Joker´s Theme": not that I like it specially, but I think it fits the character´s psychopathic personality. So a simple and psychotic theme (even if it´s one note) it´s ok with me.

The Bad: ALL THE REST (which could be from BB and nobody would notice it).

Just one little more thing: 8 orchestrators and 3 conductors for this?! Man I hope the catering was good, ´cause I can´t see any other reason.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Steven wrote
    Breakheart Pass Jerry Goldsmith

I can't say the entire score makes for an easy listen, but that main theme is CATCHY AS FOOK!

I agree. Not a favourite Goldsmith score, but that's a tune you don't even try to get out of your head, because it aint going. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Marselus wrote

Just one little more thing: 8 orchestrators and 3 conductors for this?! Man I hope the catering was good, ´cause I can´t see any other reason.

biggrin

I wouldn't be surprised if the caterers get credited as additional composers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    As for Mission to Mars, it certainly sorts the men from the boys. wink

rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    "Like a Dog Chasing Cars": great action track with new arrangements of a previous theme. But why, IN THE NAME OF GOD, didn´t they use here the THEME we heard in the end credits of Batman Begins in its epic version ?! It would have been amazing! crazy

Agree about the THEME. Anyway do you have Bruce Wayne Piano theme from Barbastella in the end of Angen of Chaos tongue

I like this score. *** and 1/2. But after 50 minutes you are tired of String kicks! dizzy

I'm sad to say this but : Harvey Two Face track is a winner, more than Zimmer tracks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote

Agree about the THEME. Anyway do you have Bruce Wayne Piano theme from Barbastella in the end of Angen of Chaos tongue

I like this score. *** and 1/2. But after 50 minutes you are tired of String kicks! dizzy

* * * 1/2?! You are too kind. I don´t give it more than * *.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote

And here we go... rolleyes

How many times will Jordi lets us know that he is listening to this score today?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I love TDK !

That's all ! biggrin biggrin biggrin

First listen and to me it's already a classic... Not like the last John Williams... biggrin

Oups sorry I have to go for now... See yaaaaaa ! punk punk biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

And here we go... rolleyes

How many times will Jordi lets us know that he is listening to this score today?

-Erik-

Hmm....I´m Marcel, not Jordi wink
    But don´t worry, I won´t play this very often. In fact, I doubt I´m playing it again except for Harvey Dent´s Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I love TDK !
    First listen and to me it's already a classic... Not like the last John Williams... biggrin

TDK a classic rolleyes I don´t know what to say
    As much as a Zimmer fanboy I am, I can recognise a crappy score miles away. And TDK is one of them. No doubt it will work in the film, as the first one did though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've listened to it, and I feel the highlights are -

I'm Not A Hero
    Aggresive Expansion
    Harvey Two-Face
    Like A Dog Chasing Cars
    And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad
    I Am The Batman
    Introduce A Little Anarchy
    Agent Of Chaos
    Watch The World Burn
    A Dark Knight

The rest of the tracks are OK too, but they're mainly ambient or synth-o-rama stuff that didn't hold my attention for long. The action stuff is terrific though, and Harvey Two-Face is like Davy Jones' theme from PoTC DMC revisited, Batman style wink . However the exclusion of the Batman theme from the BB End Credits was an ANTICLIMAX!! crazy Otherwise this would've been much better.

My rating - **** out of 5
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    No doubt it will work in the film, as the first one did though.

When people use this as part of there argument for praising a really bad score I just go... rolleyes This is not aimed at you, Marselus, I'm just making a general statement.

I'm curious to know what everyone things but don't MOST scores work in their respective films. For me, that's not the issue... it's the quality of writing that is the issue. For instance, 2 hours of nothing but a synth drone may work wonders in the right film but it's that really a great score? Again, I personally feel that a great film score has to first work in the movie but also be excellent musically and have the ability to work out side of the film and work as a stand alone piece of the music.

Maybe this sort of conversation belongs somewhere else...

NP: The Dirty Dozen (FSM) - Frank De Vol

Classic film music. Great militaristic music, energetic and old school action music, wonderful four note main theme. This is my kind of film music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    INDEPENDENCE DAY DAVID ARNOLD

I'M LISTENING TO THIS TO DROWN OUT THE NOISE OF THE DARK KNIGHT.... IS IT WORKING!?

(Also it's an appropriate day to be playing it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ It's working... IT'S WORKING... IT'S WORKING!!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    Well....I don't have Dark Knight to listen to so I'll listen to something else.!

NP: The Promise - Klaus Badelt

A breakthrough score of his - one of his best by far, and not a lot to fault. Dramatic, epic and beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    No doubt it will work in the film, as the first one did though.

When people use this as part of there argument for praising a really bad score I just go... rolleyes This is not aimed at you, Marselus, I'm just making a general statement.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … d/#Item_29
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Shane D wrote
    NP: The Promise - Klaus Badelt

A breakthrough score of his - one of his best by far, and not a lot to fault. Dramatic, epic and beautiful!

I couldn´t agree more. If not his best, very close to be it. The dramatic parts are as great as the epic ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Let us keep the Dark Knight discussions out of this topic please. Copy big posts in the appropriate topic and add a link or so to the comment.

Also, to Jordi and others, please don't post 70 times about The Dark Knight in this topic, or we will have too much messing up. wink

Thanks.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Let us keep the Dark Knight discussions out of this topic please. Copy big posts in the appropriate topic and add a link or so to the comment.

Also, to Jordi and others, please don't post 70 times about The Dark Knight in this topic, or we will have too much messing up. wink

Thanks.

Ok! wink
    Copied and linked in the other topic.
  4. Copied and linked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Copied to the Dark Knight thread.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Dark Knight.

Damn... where... how... WHY...?! shocked

Hadn't you noticed... the postal service in most countries seems to make special deliveries of film score albums during the middle of the night! wink

It's Santa. And i have a chimney. It's not my fault most of you are atheist, chimney-less subjects!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I love TDK !

That's all ! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Oups sorry I have to go for now... See yaaaaaa ! punk punk biggrin

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hybrid "i thought Hancock was the best Powell score of the year" Soldier rolleyes wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hybrid "i thought Hancock was the best Powell score of the year" Soldier rolleyes wink

Do you lile Joker's theme D?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

May I correct you?
    "Do you like Joker´s NOTE D?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

May I correct you?
    "Do you like Joker´s NOTE D?"

AHAHAHAHA biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Backdraft (Hans Zimmer)
    Making terms with Zimmer after the big disappointment of TDK.
    I´m much better now, I can move on punk