• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008 edited
    The Great Train Robbery - Jerry Goldsmith

Such a fun romp this one.
    So rich in color and orchestration.
    Has that cheeky, fun sound about it. Much like in Prokofiev's 5th Symphony.
    Yes 1979 was an amazing year for Goldsmith: The Great Train Robbery, Alien & Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    All totally different but all freakin' brilliant! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Tintin wrote
    Miya wrote
    Though Notre Dame is good, I don't consider it as Menken's best... I felt that it's something other composers could do. I prefer his Disneyish fantasy stuff such as The Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast, Enchanted... that's what Menken doing Menken.

NP: Nine Months - Hans Zimmer

This music make me sleepy (in a good way wink)

It's supposed to be. Mozart inspired music is good for sleepy babies! In a good way wink of course. Lovely theme it is.

About Menken, I think he outdid himself in terms of choir writing and this seems to be his most complex dramatic score too. The song Heaven's Light/Hellfire is very mature with layers.

I agree about that, though I'd rather listen to other composers if I want that kind of stuff...

NP: The Hunchback Of Notre Dame - Alan Menken

But still great score, some great songs, some ok songs, and one horrible song (A Guy Like You) rolleyes
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    The Great Train Robbery - Jerry Goldsmith

Such a fun romp this one.
    So rich in color and orchestration.
    Has that cheeky, fun sound about it. Much like in Prokofiev's 5th Symphony.
    Yes 1979 was an amazing year for Goldsmith: The Great Train Robbery, Alien & Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    All totally different but all freakin' brilliant! cool

Thanks to your post I put this on....

NP : ALIEN - Jerry Goldsmith

And now I'm off to bed for pleasant dreams.

G'night wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

One of his best works ever!! punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    NP: Whisper Of The Heart (Soundtrack) - Yuji Nomi

Much better listening than Image Album - more orchestral, less vocals (though I also like the song versions), and many theme variations.

My favorite theme is Baron's theme, which appears first time on Engels Zimmer (means Angel's Room... nothing to do with the german guy wink) briefly, and then becomes an adventurous cue Let's Fly! We'll Catch the Updraft!. Finally this theme can be heard entirely on The Song of Baron. The violin solo is beautiful! It's definitely my favorite of all tracks.

Nomi's arrangements of Country Road song are great too.

Both this score and the one for The Cat Returns really impress me. I'd best describe Whisper of the Heart as bittersweet, in a good way. It has touches of sadness to it, yet still seems happy.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    LSH wrote
    NP: Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events - Thomas Newman

Are there no plans to adapt any more books in the series? I'd like to hear an extension of this score! Brilliant stuff.

punk

I don't the movie was very popular, so chances of more sequels are unlikely. It would be interesting to hear the future scores.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: Howl's Moving Castle Image Album - Joe Hisaishi

This isn't as good as the original movie score, but it is still very good. It is more classical in style, but it leaves out the merry go round of life theme.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    HeeroJF wrote
    And yeah, plus I'm a sucker for ethnic music. Music with an Egyptian flavour will always score extra points, and so will The Lion King for its African touch.

Absolutely. Not to mention TLK has one of Zimmer's most impressive action tracks ever "...To Die For" and what is probably the most powerful Finale music I've heard in "King of Pride Rock". Both cues have been brutally shortened on the OST... sad

I definitely agree.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: Beauty And The Beast - Alan Menken

He's always at his best when writing "Disneyish" things... but Transformation is a great piece of score in any way. smile

Yeah! It's my favourite Menken score right now! Followed by Aladdin biggrin

NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

Said 'nuff cool

Enough can never be said about that score. Sorry wave
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    DemonStar wrote

I've heard good things about it. How would you best describe it in terms of style?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I've heard good things about it. How would you best describe it in terms of style?

The chorals are just unearthly IMO! Especially Journey To The Line! Really expresses the emotions of the army.
  1. Except... there's only Polynesian choir on one short track, and a throat singer on another track. Not a score I usually think of as a choral score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote

Enough can never be said about that score. Sorry wave

Absolutely! beer

NP: Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

Ditto! (though I'll be partial to TLK always) punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    IMMEDIATE MUSIC - trailerhead

punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    IMMEDIATE MUSIC - trailerhead

punk

Have you listened to Themes for Orchestra and Choir? "Judgement Day" is so AWESOME!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap! Indeed, big fan of trailer music here, two steps from hell, x-ray dog and immediate music are my favorites, great music overall.

One of my favorite IMMEDIATE MUSIC pieces is the choral version of "trial of the archangel"...pure inferno! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Just finished The House of Flying Daggers and The Hunt for Red October ... again. I'm wondering when this phase will end, but anyway...
    dizzy

NP Children of Dune - Brian Tyler
    Providing me with a lot of energy.
    You know, often when I'm listening to my music very loud and I'm working, I forget to have lunch! Must be the adrenaline that puts 'food' on a lower priority level or something?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Deleted for stupidity reasons.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Awww! slant

Anybody see what Ralph wrote?? cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Nautilus wrote
    I just arrived from Paris....It's an incredible experience playing Ratatouille (specially "le Festin" in Montmatre , Count of Montecristo in Versalies, Bourne Supremacy in the Metro and MOH underground in "les invalides"....

Now back to the real life sad

NP:First Knight (Goldsmith)

wow! In my top goldsmith 5!

Long and vibrant action tracks, long and well devoloped dramatic themes and a great realease!

You can't ask for something better.

You can: a better release than the criminally-shortened 40-mins CD! Has got to be one of the most shameful commercial releases in history. Not only is there another 40 minutes of fantastic stuff out there, but the greatest crime: they LEFT OFF ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTER'S THEMES FROM THE CD ENTIRELY!!! Yes, Lancelot has a theme, and it's a derringdo classic heroic theme in the most classic of styles! And not ANYWHERE on the commercial CD!

Then again that's why there are boots. Especially considering that the First Knight boot is one of those very high-quality European pressed CD. I adore those.

Glad you had fun on your Parisian trip! At least you didn't listen to The French Connection while driving. shocked

NP: Airwolf, Sylvester Levay
    Another one of those classy European pressed-CD boots, released as a 2-CD set with Blue Thunder. Both excellent scores steeped in the 80's. Wow, I just love that sound.
    J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. Timmer wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Awww! slant

It was a very long comment about McCreary´s Terminator score which I wrote for the specific topic, of course. When I noticed my mistake, I saved the post and then deleted it, only to find out that it wasn´t saved, and i didn´t want to write it all again at that time. Maybe later. smile
  4. NP: P.S. I Love You

Charming little score, nuff said cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: P.S. I Love You

Charming little score, nuff said cool

Just excellent, melodic, touching, romantic. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Awww! slant

It was a very long comment about McCreary´s Terminator score which I wrote for the specific topic, of course. When I noticed my mistake, I saved the post and then deleted it, only to find out that it wasn´t saved, and i didn´t want to write it all again at that time. Maybe later. smile

Hey, do it mate, I´m interested in your opinion about Sarah Connor Chronicles score (and show) wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Done.

Quoted tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Done.

Quoted tongue

biggrin
  6. Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Done.

Quoted tongue

biggrin

Biggrinned.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Gorgeous, light jazzy score also includes original tracks from the great Chet Baker of which Barry's score flows seamlessly between. One of the best late night scores you could listen to for chillin out. cool