• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Pow-ah-quah-ah-see? confused cool

Which proved too different, at places highly uplifting, from what i wanted to hear now which urged me to switch to my 2nd favorite installment of the series - after the one i played first that is wink ,

Naqoyqatsi - Life As War

The FOG OF WAR / THE HOURS / THE ILLUSIONIST era of more easily approached Glass has started but what an amazing body of work this one is as well!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik, I enjoyed your comments on The Kentuckian - this is a Herrmann score that I'd never heard before this re-recording came out.

It's certainly a good time for re-recorded (top quality) film music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GEORGES DELERUE - Tours Du Monde Tours Du Ciel

Absolutely gorgeous, breathtaking beautiful, heart-breaking string-driven music. Totally captivated by it at this late hour..
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Absolutely gorgeous, breathtaking beautiful, heart-breaking string-driven music. Totally captivated by it at this late hour..

You're right - gorgeous music.

NP: A Life in Suitcases (Krzisnik)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Are you familiar with his "THE HORSEMEN" score as well? I tried to listen to it before but couldn't make it past the 3rd track rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    PHILIP GLASS - Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out Of Balance

Impressive, deeply moving and singularly captivating work. Quite the perfect listen for my process of writing the thesis as we speak. Next - after having listened to it twice, is

Powaqqatsi - Life in Transformation

How weird. I hadn't listened to Koyaanisqatsi for a long time but put it on before logging on here tonight and I see you've already played it. cool beer

NP : KOYAANISQATSI - Philip Glass

Amazing work!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Are you familiar with his "THE HORSEMEN" score as well? I tried to listen to it before but couldn't make it past the 3rd track rolleyes

I don't know that... I didn't know that Krziznik had ever done a score other than the Greenaway one. He is a very unusual composer, and I can easily see why someone wouldn't like his style. What kind of ensemble plays THE HORSEMEN?
  4. Christodoulides wrote

Every now and then I hear a piece of music that hits me MUCH harder than almost everything else I've heard. These pieces of music take me to a completely different place--they're inspiring, uplifting, and 100% wonderful. I truly feel like these pieces of music make me a better person. They are the whole reason I collect movie music. Two nights ago the first track from from Tours Du Monde Tours Du Ciel became such a piece for me. It is amazing, and makes for spectacular night-listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Miya wrote
    I want to listen to E.T. in a good environment. wink

Though I love Jack Sparrow track on PotC2, actually I rarely play other tracks... but I play Kraken when I want to forget something. lol

I also listen to Davy Jones, one of perhaps Zimmer's most underrated themes.

Me too! It's one of his best villian themes, IMO. The organ is frightening!! shocked

NP: PoTC: At World's End - Hans Zimmer

My favourite out of the three!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote
    Slap shot is good... a cult classic here in Canada but have you seen The Rocket? IMHO, it's one of the best sports films I've ever seen. Up there with Hoosiers, Rudy and Bull Durham.
    -Erik-

Ohh! No, I haven't! Don't get to see many Canadian movies now that I'm here in the States. I bet it's a very powerful experience. And culturally relevant.

But of course, I've severely slighted the series of "The Boys" movies. A legendary Canadian franchise if there ever was one. But again... no score to speak of. Why do all the legendary French Canadian comedies have no score? Well there's one exception: Karmina by Patrick Bourgeois. A silly thing with questionable synth sounds, but very worthwhile! And actually available on CD, which is a shocking event in itself.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Naqoyqatsi

Nack-oi-quat-see? confused cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't know that... I didn't know that Krziznik had ever done a score other than the Greenaway one. He is a very unusual composer, and I can easily see why someone wouldn't like his style. What kind of ensemble plays THE HORSEMEN?

Oh, my bad. I was actually referring to Delerue's THE HORSEMEN. Bad quoting there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The Glass scores are high on my wantlist. I love the clips that can be heard on the website.
    Right now I'm playing the same Poledouris track (from The Hunt for Red October) as yesterday over and over again and then I'll move on to something else. I was thinking The House of Flying Daggers but maybe I'll listen to the Glass clips again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    HeeroJF wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton

I wanna see him scoring Disney films again... or Pixar!
    (direct-to-video cheapquels don't count. tongue )

Hear, hear. I looove Rescuers Down Under! I've had my gripes about the way Bruce Broughton does suspence music, but his adventurous, high-spirited music is infectious. I can't have enough of Baby's Day out, either. It would be quite a come-back if he were given a new Disney theatrical feature! Here's hoping.

I haven't heard Baby's Day Out, but I also liked his Boy Who Could Fly. The main theme sounds very similar to Rescuers theme. (and both films feature a flying boy... biggrin )

NP: The Lion King (expanded) - Hans "the King of the Pridelands" Zimmer

I wanna see him scoring Disney films again... or PIXAR! tongue
    (and leaving DreamWorks animation...)

I've been loving The Elephant Graveyard since I was a kid! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Big sucker for trailer music here, so GLOBUS - EPICON has been a great treat for me since it was released. Playing it loud today and fully enjoying it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    The Glass scores are high on my wantlist. I love the clips that can be heard on the website.
    Right now I'm playing the same Poledouris track (from The Hunt for Red October) as yesterday over and over again and then I'll move on to something else. I was thinking The House of Flying Daggers but maybe I'll listen to the Glass clips again.

When you get KOYAANISQATSI make sure it's the superior re-recording. It's also paired with a bonus CD, Glass Jukebox which is a sample compilation of many of his works. Well recommended.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE HORSE WHISPERER - Thomas Newman

Beautiful and mesmerising gentle score, I adore this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Hilarious! I'm listening to How To Make An American Quilt right now and the first thing I thought of what how I would like to revisit The Horse Whisperer afterwards!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Timmer wrote

'Tis a beauty, all right.

NP: A Walk With Love and Death (Delerue)

Ah, such a pretentious title for a film, but this music makes it seem justifiable. Rich and romantic in the Delerue sense of both words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote
    I haven't heard Baby's Day Out, but I also liked his Boy Who Could Fly. The main theme sounds very similar to Rescuers theme. (and both films feature a flying boy... biggrin )

Baby's Day out is so zany and catchy! And I agree: Boy Who Could Fly is soaring and beautiful. I remember how badly I wanted to find the ultra-rare release of Rescuers Down Under before Disney finally got their head out of their butts and re-released it. Happy day, that was!

Miya wrote

What did you think of The Prince of Egypt?

NP: For Love of the Game, Basil Poledouris (the discussion from the other day gave me the urge! And I also watched the movie for the first time last night. The intensity of the baseball scenes are indeed gripping. But you can't have this movie without its love-story element: it's at the heart of it, and comprises about 75% of its runtime! I found the scene where he's crying alone in his hotel room after his "big moment" one of the most poignant scenes I've ever seen)
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HeeroJF wrote

NP: For Love of the Game, Basil Poledouris (the discussion from the other day gave me the urge! And I also watched the movie for the first time last night. The intensity of the baseball scenes are indeed gripping. But you can't have this movie without its love-story element: it's at the heart of it, and comprises about 75% of its runtime! I found the scene where he's crying alone in his hotel room after his "big moment" one of the most poignant scenes I've ever seen)

There are some good non-baseball moments for sure... but it all seemed a bit cliched and forced. However, it's been a while since I've seen the movie but I can remember being thrown off every time they cut from the diamond to the relationship. It could have been better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    NP: My Neighbor Totoro - Joe Hisaishi

This music is so...FUN. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TENANT - Philippe Sarde

Creepy, mesmerising score for Roman Polanski film that I've never seen. Good score and I can't think of anything else that utilises a Glass Harmonica.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PER UN PUGNO DI DOLLARI ( Fistful Of Dollars to me n' you ) - Ennio Morricone

It's brilliant stuff like this that made me a film score fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote

Absolutely! biggrin

My favs have been the expanded "...To Die For" and "King Of Pride Rock" which I want to see released one day!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote

Absolutely! biggrin

My favs have been the expanded "...To Die For" and "King Of Pride Rock" which I want to see released one day!

Couldn't you have called yourself Nautilus 2 ? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mark II. Sounds better. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^

LOL biggrin

NP: Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - Jesper Kyd

Big orchestral feast! Leaving out the synth ambient tracks, I loved- Main Title, Waiting For Action, Action Begins, The Penthouse, Japanese Mansion, Streets Of India, Desert Sun, Arabian Dance, The Setup. JEsper Kyd should compose more in this vein!! punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Surf's Up by Mychael Danna

I love the opening track, ever since I saw it in the trailer, the rest is fun but sadly all a bit short on the time

I have been playing this score a lot recently. Some very nice music. I think the short running time is why I can come back to it so much. With that said, I still prefer scores to have longer running times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: For Love of the Game, Basil Poledouris
    There are some good non-baseball moments for sure... but it all seemed a bit cliched and forced. However, it's been a while since I've seen the movie but I can remember being thrown off every time they cut from the diamond to the relationship. It could have been better.

-Erik-

Oh, wholeheartedly agreed. I didn't say the romance moments were good, not by a long shot. I also found them very cliché. I was just pointing out that they were at the heart of the movie, and you would wind up at best with a 47-minutes TV episode (albeit very good) without them.

However I did like the non-linear presentation of the plot.

J-F