• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008
    I think it is. It's got a wonderfully Christmasy feel to it... but that may have more to do with the fact that *I* feel very Christmasy at the moment!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button Alexandre Desplat

Very very interesting. Very relaxing too.

This is great stuff! Elegant, quirky, serene, relaxing and genuinely interesting all throughout the 1 hour running time.

What's with the sudden rush of excellent scores? is 2008 determined to be better than 2007?? dizzy

This really sounds right up my alley!

Excellent score. I loved it too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

This is great stuff! Elegant, quirky, serene, relaxing and genuinely interesting all throughout the 1 hour running time.

What's with the sudden rush of excellent scores? is 2008 determined to be better than 2007?? dizzy

This post following musings about homosexual rape in Turkish prisons leads me to once again commend Steven for his uncharacteristic restraint.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

This post following musings about homosexual rape in Turkish prisons leads me to once again commend Steven for his uncharacteristic restraint.

It didn't escape my attention either Martijn, I almost almost returned to edit my post but then it seemed that no one noticed so I left it as is!

I was wrong. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

It didn't escape my attention either Martijn, I almost almost returned to edit my post but then it seemed that no one noticed so I left it as is!

I was wrong. wink

Don't worry, I was about to pounce on that one, too.

NP: Lover's Prayer, Joel McNeely
    Beautiful stuff.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BIRTH - Alexandre Desplat

All this Desplat talk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

I was wrong. wink

Nah. Otherwise I'm making up the connections... I'd rather the joke speak for itself. This is why Demetris' comments are ripe for my humour! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    omaha wrote
    He may have like the rape in the Turkish prison... slant

Liked being the victim of rape?
    That would make him a more disturbing fellow than I would have thought likely,

There were accounts that he would pay someone to beat him once a year. He would tell a story of how is Uncle once caught him stealing and made him swear to get beaten once a year. Something crazy like that. Sounds like he kinda wanted to cover up the fact that he liked it. slant

Before his Lawrence of Arabia stuff when he was a studying archeologist he had a young boy living with him. And he did a nude painting of the boy on his ceiling in a Greco-roman style. Just some stuff to make some people cock their heads.

A good man, great writer, a historical hero during a much needed time, and the inspiration for one of the greatest movies ever made.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE 13th WARRIOR - Jerry Goldsmith

Yeah man! punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote

Yeah man! punk cool

Not only that, but it provided my favourite Graeme Revell score. Isn't it ironic that a composer's best score be a rejected score? I wouldn't say I necessarily like it better than Goldsmith's, but man, if only he'd scored The Crow or Daredevil like that, I'd be such a bigger fan of his.

NP: Gangs of New York, Rejected. Elmer Bernstein
    The liner notes that the "real gem" on this CD set is Gangs of New York, but I've yet to truly open up to the supposed wonders of this score. To me, so far, it's just a good old average Bernstein score. The real masterpiece of this set, if you ask me, is the rejected score of The Journey of Natty Gann. It helps I've owned another copy of this jewell for years already.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Yeah man! punk cool

Seeing as I'm still in the right mood.....

NP : THE MUMMY - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
  1. Miya, you can hear the complete score to Road to Perdition at the film's official website. It doesn't touch Meet Joe Black, IMO. 'That Next Place' is one of my ten favorite cues...maybe five favorite. If you haven't heard it you might want to check out Cinderella Man. There are a lot of short cues, but some very nice thematic ones, and the finale title track is worth the price of the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008
    omaha wrote
    There were accounts that he would pay someone to beat him once a year. He would tell a story of how is Uncle once caught him stealing and made him swear to get beaten once a year. Something crazy like that. Sounds like he kinda wanted to cover up the fact that he liked it. slant

Before his Lawrence of Arabia stuff when he was a studying archeologist he had a young boy living with him. And he did a nude painting of the boy on his ceiling in a Greco-roman style. Just some stuff to make some people cock their heads.

All sounds properly boarding school; nothing out of the ordinary. Whole generations of British leaders were raised like that wink

Interesting information there, Gardner. I should read up on the man.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Nah. Otherwise I'm making up the connections... I'd rather the joke speak for itself.

Pah! You're just sore 'cuz you missed it! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Nah. Otherwise I'm making up the connections... I'd rather the joke speak for itself.

Pah! You're just sore 'cuz you missed it! biggrin

No I'm not. Go away... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana, Yoko Shimomura
    As much as I woe the begone days of video game action scores, RPGs is really where game scoring of old is still alive and more beautiful than ever. We have the same highly thematic scoring techniques of yesteryear but this time in full orchestral glory. This installment of the Seiken Densetsu does not disappoint. It's one breathtaking theme after the other. And at 2 discs full of music, I still can't get enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP:The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ~Howard Shore

No comments needed!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... about 9 tracks in... lots of Desplat minimalist noodling... but nothing standing out so far. I'm worried that I'm being set up for yet another Desplat disappointment. I really hope something grabs my attention soon.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was Playing : Days of Thunder (zimmer)

This was the main reason why I'm now writting here ( Dammed! could say a lot of people).

I remember waching the movie only for this "triumph" motif with electric guitars. I love it!

Why the last action track is not in the bootleg???

NP:K2 (Zimmer)

One of the best Zimmer scores ever. And one of my favourites.

There are a lot of REAl orchestra and a lot of ETNICH instruments here. You can hear some stuff from his posterior works : Prince of Egypt, Gladiator, Peacemaker...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Like A Dog Chasing Cars is stuck in my head today!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP:The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ~Howard Shore

No comments needed!

Indeed! cool

NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my favourite JG scores, fabulous theme with some incredibly muscular action writing, a pure joy from begining to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008 edited
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

Saw the film last night and LOVED IT! Lots of fun, good twist even though my wife saw it coming a mile away, solid special effects (although the flying sequences sucked) and the score, especially the final two tracks, really impressed me. One of the biggest laughs I got was Powell's nod to Superman when the new and improved Hancock arrives to save the day in the middle of the film. Is that cue even on the score album?!

Anyway, the highlight of the score, IMHO, are the last two cues. They worked brilliantly in the movie, pumped up the emotions and sent shivers down my spine! And they got a great mix two. Front and centre leading the way!

I also dig the (cliched) urban sound of Hancock's theme at the beginning of the picture and it's development throughout the score. It begins as a tragic theme that would eventually develop into the heroic, fully symphonic version we would later hear in the middle and end of the film during the short lived end credits.

I think this is a superb score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps when I've seen the movie I will listen to more than just 'Hollywood Blvd', 'Death and Transfiguration' and 'The Moon and The Superhero' - but those three tracks are AWESOME.

Glad to hear a positive opinion about the movie, I'm looking forward to seeing this on BluRay when I get back home for Christmas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

Saw the film last night and LOVED IT! Lots of fun, good twist even though my wife saw it coming a mile away, solid special effects (although the flying sequences sucked) and the score, especially the final two tracks, really impressed me. One of the biggest laughs I got was Powell's nod to Superman when the new and improved Hancock arrives to save the day in the middle of the film. Is that cue even on the score album?!

Anyway, the highlight of the score, IMHO, are the last two cues. They worked brilliantly in the movie, pumped up the emotions and sent shivers down my spine! And they got a great mix two. Front and centre leading the way!

I also dig the (cliched) urban sound of Hancock's theme at the beginning of the picture and it's development throughout the score. It begins as a tragic theme that would eventually develop into the heroic, fully symphonic version we would later hear in the middle and end of the film during the short lived end credits.

I think this is a superb score!

-Erik-

From a superb Composer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008 edited
    Back to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

I wouldn't say that this score is mediocre but it's not overall a GREAT score. There is some exceptional writing in Button but I'm flabbergasted at some of the praise that this score is getting. It doesn't really go above and beyond... at least during the first two-thirds of the score. The biggest issue I have is that the score starts off with a whimper. The first half, minus "A New Life" (which lifts from the far superior Birth) really doesn't grab your attention and for me had me wanting to turn the score off because I didn't really hear where this score was going. However, the orchestrations are tight and clean and well thought out... as always with Desplat.

Now thankfully I didn't turn this score off because as we get to the last quarter of the score Desplat finally comes out of his shell and delivers that emotional punch I was looking for. It's not something that SAVES this score but it did wake me up from the daze I was in. Another elements that stood out was the sax solo in "Growing Younger." Smooth and soothing. Very jazzy and John Williams like. And there is a gorgeous piano solo featuring "Benjamin and Daisy" theme which I adore and is the main track I would most definitely return to.

Overall, it's a solid effort and technically impressive but lacks that lasting touch. However, I'm thinking more spins might help with my appreciation but usually a score that don't knock me dead on the fist listen RARELY holds up on further listens. However, I must say that I'm still regretting not including BIRTH on my best of 2004 list. Even though it's use in the film didn't impress me it still goes down as one of the most original scores of the decade and a fabulous listen on CD.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OUR MAN FLINT - Jerry Goldsmith

This is the original tracks coupled with In Like Flint, I wish I'd bought the varese re-releases of the original albums which IMO are a far superior listening experience. I do have the old LPs but it's a pain in the arse setting up my turntable.

Still, this is a great, goofy fun listen. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    There is no other K2's fan? ( i mean the score, not the mountain ). Seriously????

Why people never talk about this all time top Zimmer score??? angry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    One of the biggest laughs I got was Powell's nod to Superman when the new and improved Hancock arrives to save the day in the middle of the film. Is that cue even on the score album?!

Sorry bud, it ain't. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    One of the biggest laughs I got was Powell's nod to Superman when the new and improved Hancock arrives to save the day in the middle of the film. Is that cue even on the score album?!

Sorry bud, it ain't. wink

That is RETARDED! A great tip of the cap to Superman - one of the most memorable cue in the score - and they don't include it on the album? How frustrating!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Once more just because I need to relax...
    El Cid ~ Miklos Rozsa
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...