• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Passengers - Edward Shearmur

Not impressed at all!

-Erik-

There's nothing there to be impressed by...careless stuff, total pass.

I wouldn't say it's careless. It's just not all that interesting. The Thomas Newman vibe also turns me off... but I'm sure a lot of time and care went into writing the score and I'm sure it's exactly what the director wanted.

EDIT - I really like the "Epiphany" cue.

-Erik-

well, the movie was a bore-fest. i've seen it
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom David Newman

'The Rescue' is one of the most awesome tracks I've ever heard. No exaggeration!

I don't have many of his scores at all, but I definitely want more stuff like this. Can anyone suggest any scores?

Erik's listed Newman's best stuff, but with the exception of Galaxy Quest I don't think any of them are quite in the class of The Phantom.

Add Anastasia to the list! IMHO, it's up there with The Phantom!

-Erik-

I haven't listened to that one for AGES. Isn't the main theme right out of a Herrmann/Harryhausen score (Three Worlds of Gulliver springs to mind), or am I thinking of something else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    I haven't listened to that one for AGES. Isn't the main theme right out of a Herrmann/Harryhausen score (Three Worlds of Gulliver springs to mind), or am I thinking of something else?

Ummm... I don't know. It could be. I'll do a comparison right now!

EDIT - Aha! I see what you are getting at. At the 57 second mark of the "Prologue" Newman introduces a British march undoubtedly inspired by Herrmann's "Overture" from The Three Worlds of Gulliver. It lasts about 30 seconds or so but it isn't the films main theme!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    NP:Nirvana by Gabriele Salvatores
    ]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    kokodezil wrote
    NP:Nirvana by Gabriele Salvatores
    ]

No kidding!

]

That good huh?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom David Newman

'The Rescue' is one of the most awesome tracks I've ever heard. No exaggeration!

I don't have many of his scores at all, but I definitely want more stuff like this. Can anyone suggest any scores?

BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY

Great fun score and the choral Heaven / Hell music is superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman & associates, friends and assorted strangers who just happened to be walking into the studio during recording sessions.

"All I wanna do is *bang* *bang* *bang* *click* *k'ching*"
    biggrin
    I like this stuff!
    Great beat, danceable, and totally over-the-top.
    Gangstaaaaaabhangraaaaaaaaaaa! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman & associates, friends and assorted strangers who just happened to be walking into the studio during recording sessions.

biggrin
    I like this stuff!

I look forward to hearing this because, well, I like a little of this kind of stuff! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You 'n 'me both, sahib!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

crazy

How I abso-fooking-lutely HATE that song!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Any song featuring rhythmic gun shots gets MY vote for Sheer Coolness.
    I am looking forward to Rahman scoring a Curry Western.
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Nothing to do with the band Erik! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    kokodezil wrote
    Nothing to do with the band Erik! biggrin

Oh... I know.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Any song featuring rhythmic gun shots gets MY vote for Sheer Coolness.
    biggrin

I'd rather listen to Juno Reactor's "Pistolero!"

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

biggrin
    I like this stuff!

:slap:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oorlogswinter - Pino Donaggio

A fine score.
  1. Southall wrote

A fine score.

not bad at all, but I haven't heard too many scores of him period
    I really can't make comparisons
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

A fine score.

i LOVE that. First listen, James?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

A fine score.

Yes sir!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

A fine score.

Yes sir!

Thought so wink A "fine score" will elevate soon i believe wink
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ One of the greatest comic book film scores of all time! And don't forget about that fooking amazing finale!

As for David Newman suggestions...

Anastasia is one of my favorites. Big old fashioned massive orchestral choral score!

The Brave Little Toaster - A fun adventure score!

Galaxy Quest - A wonderful tip of the cap to the Star Trek scores!

Hoffa - Brilliant main theme and one of his best dramatic scores!

Jingle All The Way - Big meaty Christmas comedy score with a superb main title theme (a la The Phantom)

Mr. Destiny - Really, really good!

War of the Roses - Could very well be his best comedy score. A very dark black comedy score!

102 Dalmatians - Just as big as Kamen's original. Lots of fun! Would love to see an official release of this one... diggy diggy dog diggy diggy dog!

-Erik-

you forget one of his finest

Operation Dumbo Drop, killer main theme, killer action track, killer (missing) sub theme
    Absolutely top notch David Newman stuff
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: 101 Dalmatians - Michael Kamen

Stunning! How is it that more people aren't talking about this score? It has everything you could ever want in a purely symphonic film score. It also perfectly blends jazz and classical music together! The mickey mousing will turn some people off, but I always welcome it! I've always enjoyed sudden starts and stops in film music... it's what makes this kind of music unique... and Kamen does it so well. There are gorgeous lyrical themes a plenty especially the lush romantic string theme heard in "The Wedding." The action music is crisp and fast paced! Fans of Kamen's music will love this.

Anyway, 101 Dalmatians is a warm, fun, bouncy score in a distinct Kamen style! Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: 101 Dalmatians - Michael Kamen

Stunning! How is it that more people are talking about this score? It has everything you could ever want in purely symphonic film score. I love the blend of jazz and classical music all backed by Kamen's patented massive sound! The mickey mousing will turn some people off, but I always welcome it! I've always enjoyed sudden starts and stops in film music... it's what makes this kind of music unique... and Kamen does it so well. There are gorgeous lyrical themes a plenty especially the lush romantic string theme heard in "The Wedding." The action music is crisp and fast paced! Fans of Kamen's music will love this.

Anyway, 101 Dalmatians is a warm, fun, bouncy score in a distinct Kamen style! Highly recommended!

-Erik-

I think it's absolutely, five-star brilliant. Probably my all-time-favourite "family film" score by someone other than Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked

HOLY F__KING SH_T!

I don't know how many people here have the 101 Dalmatians soundtrack but you need to stop what you are listening to right now and spin the track "Pup, Pup, Pup, Pup, Puppies" I'd say this one track would turn any mickey mousing detractor into a fan! Probably one of the most inspired pieces of music Kamen ever wrote! The orchestrations are absolutely mind blowing!

I really need to do another underrated film scores show!

EDIT - Old McDonald Had a Farm in "Reunion in the Barn" biggrin I forgot how utterly brilliant this score was!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote

I am looking forward to Rahman scoring a Curry Western.
    biggrin

Haha! Enjoy-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH6CQzf_bnU shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Return of the King - The Lord of the Rings (Complete Recordings) ~ Howard Shore

OH.MY.GOD !!!
    I know I've wrote about it time ang again, but leaving at the root of an ancient mountain, in the middle of a storm the atmosphere of Tolkien's world and Shore's music is so matching. Anyway, I loved the scores long before I moved here! The Lord of the Rings Symphony Concert at Herodeion was one of the best experiences of my life!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    forget that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ As we do with most of your posts.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    type in Dolls(1987)-opening credits!(on You Tube I meant)and enjoy!