• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011
    NP : CAPTAIN KRONOS : VAMPIRE HUNTER - Laurie Johnson

A great score, very Herrmann like in places and a THEME to die for.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    But I've said it before, I'll say it again, THIS is the ONLY recording of Ben-Hur you need.

You have just raised this to the top of my wish-list! I only own the 2-CD version (or is it 3?) but never have time to listen to anything that long, so I probably haven't listened to the score for at least five years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Deep End of the Ocean - Elmer Bernstein

A never-discussed gem from late in his career.
  1. Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    But I've said it before, I'll say it again, THIS is the ONLY recording of Ben-Hur you need.

You have just raised this to the top of my wish-list! I only own the 2-CD version (or is it 3?) but never have time to listen to anything that long, so I probably haven't listened to the score for at least five years.

It really is the only Ben-Hur I need, a short condensed presentation with the highlights. That's why I ordered it in a nano-second.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

I know it's not the Ben-Hur album but here is music from the Quo Vadis portion of the Vocalion release.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1082

It will give you an idea of what the sound quality is like!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Yowza, it sounds even more spectacular than 'Three Choral Suites' !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yowza, it sounds even more spectacular than 'Three Choral Suites' !!! punk

While I like the presentation of Three Choral Suites and sound quality isn't really up to par... especially when you compare it to previous Telarc Kunzel albums.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. This talk about "last great score" from Silvestri got me thinking: what was the last score, out of the ones I have heard, that I actually enjoyed from him? So, I browsed his IMDB page.

"Showtime" was it. Though I really prefer "Castway". Almsot ten years. And that's since a "enjoyable" score. Last great score? Again, personal taste, but I thought "Holy Man" was an excellent, unreleased (officially) score. That's 1998. Over 13 years.

Though I understand his score to the short film "Two Soldiers" is supposed to be really good. That's 2003. But that would still be over nine years.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011 edited
    NP: Dream House - John Debney

I heard the end credit suite on Debney's Facebook page last week and boy was it wonderful. The album opens with a cliched child's voice that then blends into this fantastic, lush string melody which also gets goosebump inducing reprise during the end credits. What a superb way to open the album. The next track "Little Girls Die" is probably Debney's most dramatic cue since "Mary Goes To Jesus" from The Passion of the Christ. Yeah, it's that good! You're going to melt when you hear it!

Let's hope this one holds up as it could be one of Debney's strongest scores in years and could be one of the finest scores of the year!

And the recording by Simon Rhodes is superb!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    This talk about "last great score" from Silvestri got me thinking: what was the last score, out of the ones I have heard, that I actually enjoyed from him? So, I browsed his IMDB page.

"Showtime" was it. Though I really prefer "Castway". Almsot ten years. And that's since a "enjoyable" score. Last great score? Again, personal taste, but I thought "Holy Man" was an excellent, unreleased (officially) score. That's 1998. Over 13 years.

Did The Mummy Returns and The Polar Express do a complete fly-by over you?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Dream House - John Debney

I heard the end credit suite on Debney's Facebook page last week and boy was it wonderful. The album opens with a cliched child's voice that then blends into this fantastic, lush string melody which also gets goosebump inducing reprise during the end credits. What a superb way to open the album. The next track "Little Girls Die" is probably Debney's most dramatic cue since "Mary Goes To Jesus" from The Passion of the Christ. Yeah, it's that good! You're going to melt when you hear it!

Let's hope this one holds up as it could be one of Debney's strongest scores in years and could be one of the finest scores of the year!

And the recording by Simon Rhodes is superb!

-Erik-

So this is why he said he felt like it was his best score in years......hmmmmm
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Didn't like TMR, found TPE overrated, though "Okay".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Play Dead remixes (David Arnold with Bjork)
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Neilbucket wrote

That is not a soundtrack. You are in the wrong thread. Your death will be implemented.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Horror/suspense elements dominate the middle portions of the album and too be quite honest they don't live up to the fantastic two cues that opened the album. It's all pretty conventional. I'm about 4 tracks from the end so we'll see how this one finishes up!

EDIT: "Murder Flashback" finally brings some life to the score after 27 minutes of barely audible suspense/atmospheric music.

DOUBLE EDIT: Evaluating this one is a toughie. This might end up like Horner's The Karate Kid where only a handful of bloody brilliant cues are going to push this one into my Top 10. Goodness gracious... the opening 3 tracks and the closing 3 tracks are so magnificent that if the middle portion of the album was a little stronger this could be near the top of my best of 2011 list. But in saying that, 30 minutes of mind blowing music out of a 56 minute album isn't too shabby especially since the horror/suspense music isn't terrible... it's just that those tracks aren't very interesting.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Didn't like TMR, found TPE overrated, though "Okay".

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Martijn wrote
    Neilbucket wrote

That is not a soundtrack. You are in the wrong thread. Your death will be implemented.

smile The 'remixes' are arrangements of Arnold's score (some featuring Bjork's vocals) - surely that's close enough to avoid the implementation of death?
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    If it'll keep me alive...

NP: The Thing by Ennio Morricone (in anticipation of Beltrami's The Thing score being sent to me next week).
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KICK-ASS (various)

I love this one, esp. the melancholic main theme. But I have no overview of who did what. Danny Elfman is in there somewhere too (which is the reason why I got it in the first place). Feels surprisingly coherent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    NP: KICK-ASS (various)

I love this one, esp. the melancholic main theme. But I have no overview of who did what. Danny Elfman is in there somewhere too (which is the reason why I got it in the first place). Feels surprisingly coherent.

It's mostly Henry Jackman's show. Anything that sounds like rehashed John Murphy was from John Murphy.

Here's the list, courtesy of H-Z.com

The Armenian Superhero (1:59)
    Henry Jackman, Marius De Vries
    Stand Up (3:32)
    The Prodigy
    Forcefield (1:05)
    Marius De Vries
    Watching (1:01)
    Henry Jackman
    Man In The Mirror (1:08)
    Henry Jackman
    A Punch In The Chest (0:45)
    Marius De Vries
    Roof Jump (1:31)
    Marius De Vries, Ilan Eshkeri
    Time To Engage (0:26)
    Henry Jackman
    Stabbing-Morphine (1:56)
    Marius De Vries, The Prodigy
    I'm Kick Ass (1:16)
    Henry Jackman
    Famous (2:22)
    Henry Jackman, John Murphy, Marius De Vries, Ilan Eshkeri
    A Friend Like You (0:43)
    Marius De Vries
    Walk To Rasul's (0:58)
    Danny Elfman
    Trick Or Treat? (2:43)
    Marius De Vries, Ilan Eshkeri
    Leaving Rasul's (1:18)
    John Murphy
    Hit Girl & Big Daddy (2:39)
    John Murphy
    Damon & Marcus Comic Book (3:24)
    Henry Jackman, John Murphy
    I Miss You Both (1:40)
    John Murphy, Ilan Eshkeri
    Hunting Kick Ass (1:04)
    Henry Jackman
    MistMobile (1:40)
    Henry Jackman
    Big Daddy Kills (2:50)
    John Murphy
    One Last Time (0:57)
    Marius De Vries
    Sleepover (1:57)
    Marius De Vries
    To Brooklyn Bridge (1:42)
    Marius De Vries
    Safehouse - Ambush (2:34)
    John Murphy
    Showtime Pt 2. (It's Only The End Of The World) (2:25)
    John Murphy
    Nightvision (1:57)
    John Murphy
    Strobe (Adagio in D Minor) (2:02)
    John Murphy
    Big Daddy Dies (1:33)
    Hit Girl Drives Home (1:42)
    John Murphy
    Marshmallows (1:12)
    John Murphy
    Choose Your Weapon (1:26)
    Ilan Eshkeri
    You Got Five Minutes (0:35)
    Marius De Vries
    No Power, No Responsibility (1:16)
    Henry Jackman
    The Corridor (1:16)
    John Murphy
    Kitchen Stand Off (1:19)
    John Murphy, Ilan Eshkeri
    The Fight (3:12)
    Henry Jackman, John Murphy, Marius De Vries, Ilan Eshkeri
    Flying Home (1:49)
    True Identity (1:39)
    Henry Jackman
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011
    Thor wrote
    dizzy

Here's a tracklist that doesn't take an Einstein to figure out:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=87712

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    dizzy

Here's a tracklist that doesn't take an Einstein to figure out:

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=87712

Peter smile

Thanks for the compliment. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Basically, all the fun parts are Henry Jackman wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Southall wrote
    The Debt - T Newman

Not one of his best.

That's not saying much; even his mediocre ones are pretty enjoyable.
  6. The Debt - Thomas Newman

Just as I predicted, this is probably the closest that Newman will get to scoring an action/thriller film. As such, it's pretty damn good. "One More Parcel" and "Elsa Roget" are definite highlights. Overall, a welcome and much-needed return from one of Hollywood's best.
  7. Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

After revisiting the score and finally seeing the movie, I can honestly say that this is the best score of 2010.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

Just as I predicted, this is probably the closest that Newman will get to scoring an action/thriller film. As such, it's pretty damn good. "One More Parcel" and "Elsa Roget" are definite highlights. Overall, a welcome and much-needed return from one of Hollywood's best.

What about THE HELP ? Did you like it?

Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

After revisiting the score and finally seeing the movie, I can honestly say that this is the best score of 2010.

Outstanding, a real gem.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: POINT BREAK (Mark Isham)

I adore the powerful and subdued tracks (the majesty of the surf!), but not too hot on the suspense music.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

What about THE HELP ? Did you like it?

Yeah, I liked The Help a lot. I missed those Newman strings.