• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016
    "March of the Defeated" is an outstanding tone poem. Grandos is a new unsung discovery to me. Up to this point I was only familiar with his piano material.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2016
    The overtures of Rimsky-Korsakoff. His operas Ivan the Terrible, Skaza, and Snow Maiden.
    Tom smile
  1. NP: Vagabond (2014) - Stu Larson

Laid back folk rock by this Australian singer songwriter. I catched a song on the radio this morning and it stuck enough to make look up this album on Spotify.

Volker

EDIT: Apart from that song there is nothing of consequence here. Some lame Simon & Garfunkel emulation.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. The ARP Eminent / Solina String Ensemble + phase effect.

One of the defining synth pad sound of the late 70s. I am currently playing songs featuring this sound by Jarre, Vangelis, Elton John, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd. Play the into of "Shin on you" prior to "Oxygene IV": magnificent!

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 2 - Philip Glass

Love this!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. NP: Beaubourg (1978) - Vangelis

Free improvisations on the Yamaha CS 80 synthesizer. Experimental. Not for every day listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Glazunov Symphony No. 1 "Slavyanskaya." It was written when Alexander was only 16 and shows his greatness as a teenager.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Beaubourg (1978) - Vangelis

Free improvisations on the Yamaha CS 80 synthesizer. Experimental. Not for every day listening.

It sure isn't, but it's something to get lost in (in a positive sense). Jarre has done something similar, like the title track on WAITING FOR COSTEAU, PRINTEMPS DU BOURGES, bits of DESERTED PALACE or the musique concrete of that "Air" thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2016
    I've tried with the Jarre and I just can't get into it at all. But that is just me.
  4. Electronica is a bit of an acquired taste, Tom. It has always been more popular in Europe than in America. Brian Eno and Larry Fast are American exponents of the genre. Only with the dawn of techno in Detroit electronic music really became popular in the US.
    It also helps if you take an interest in the technology behind that music, which I do and I believe Thor does.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016
    Lars-Erik Larsson is a new composer for me and I've been enjoying his second symphony. A Swede he wrote this in 1937 when tonal was accepted.
  5. NP: Tangram (1980) - Tangerine Dream

With this album TD entered the 1980 when they did there most accessible and mainstream albums. Very good this album is still. Some of it anticipates a sound that Jan Hammer would utilize for Miami Vice a few years later.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Tangram (1980) - Tangerine Dream

With this album TD entered the 1980 when they did there most accessible and mainstream albums. Very good this album is still. Some of it anticipates a sound that Jan Hammer would utilize for Miami Vice a few years later.

Volker

I've heard the album a couple of times, but I don't own it and it's been a while.

Any Fairlights and Jupiter-8s, then? I thought TD was more about PPG Wave, which Hammer didn't use that much.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Moog Modular Synthesizer, Project Electronic Modular Synthesizer and Sequencer, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Roland TR-808 Rhythm Composer, ARP Odyssey, Oberheim OB-X, ARP Pro/DGX, Minimoog, Elka string synth, Synclavier, PPG Wave 2, PPG 360 Wave Computer, PPG 340 Wave Computer/380 Event Generator

^ This was their general equipment in this time. So no, but the general styling in parts seems rather similar. Rocky, straight forward synth music, but no Disco a la Moroder.
  7. NP: The Dragon / Hypothesis (1971) - Vangelis

My first listen to this new acquisition. Psychedelic sequences when keys were organs still and not jet synthesizers. Not for everyone. But for Vangelis fans it's a nice addition.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016
    This is an extremely underplayed Dvorak work, the 8th Symphony. I've heard this in a live performance and have been impressed ever since
  8. Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason

A recent purchase, and a very good one. It's funny that these guys have been around for ages (and some are already six feet under) but these tunes sound as fresh and original and hands down cool as the stuff coming out now. Even their 70s albums haven't aged a bit, because I've heard them without any preconceptions since I bought them starting 2-3 years ago.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016
    Nice one Gilles, I'd love to hear them with fresh ears again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Why I didn't discover their sound much earlier? I guess I've always been under the impression they wrote these weird hypnotic not radio-friendly songs, that were either very long or instrumental, not following the standard song structure that I was used to. Only much later I learned about the wonders of prog rock, starting in 2007 with DT, which made me an instant fan. Another band I like a lot that has much in common with Pink Floyd is Porcupine Tree.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. I wouldn't want to miss any of these. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2016
    Bamboo shoots in fingernails I could manage, waterboarding I'm sure I could survive. But Pink Floyd's music? It would get me to admit anything at the mere suggestion of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Why I didn't discover their sound much earlier? I guess I've always been under the impression they wrote these weird hypnotic not radio-friendly songs, that were either very long or instrumental, not following the standard song structure that I was used to. Only much later I learned about the wonders of prog rock, starting in 2007 with DT, which made me an instant fan. Another band I like a lot that has much in common with Pink Floyd is Porcupine Tree.

Try Anathema as well smile http://www.anathema.ws/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Bamboo shoots in fingernails I could manage, waterboarding I'm sure I could survive. But Pink Floyd's music? It would get me to admit anything at the mere suggestion of it.

It pleases me so much that we're so extremely opposite on pretty much everything in this world. It's comforting to have someone who's the exact opposite of yourself. It's when we agree, I worry.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Agreed.
  11. Captain Future wrote
    I wouldn't want to miss any of these. smile

I only have a fraction of that. shocked

Steven wrote

Give it time, I used to dismiss them too. Youthful stupidity and all that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speak for yourself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    People have opinions, taste differs, deal with it Gilles wink

I could take what Steven said and replace Floyd with pretend rock star pantomime act MEATLOAF. Swings and roundabouts innit!? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like my rock, but Meatloaf is pushing it even for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I mostly blame Jim Steinman and his truly hideous songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Steven wrote
    Speak for yourself.

I was speaking for myself. Just a bit of sarcasm there.

I was implying that an opinion on something can change with time.