• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. KOYANISQTSI - Philip Glass

My previous negative experiences with this score had never really given it a chance. I had a long drive today listening to this score and I have to say that all of my previous prejudices have been confirmed. This is a tough slog. Every track is easily three times longer than it needs to be. Minimalism at its worst. I know there are a lot of you who enjoy this score. Maybe if I saw the film I would feel differently, but away from the film and out of context I find nothing to enjoy in it.
  2. NP: El Greco - Ennio Morricone

I've had this for a while but am only now listening to it. And it's a bit of a stunner! I love the dark feel to the whole thing. Great themes explored in a way that Morricone is very adept at doing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Southall wrote
    Africa - Sarah Class

I wasn't so sure about this in the show itself but it grew on me as the series progressed and it's absolutely exquisite on album.

People should definitely take not of this one when it's released in the middle of March.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013
    christopher wrote
    KOYANISQTSI - Philip Glass

My previous negative experiences with this score had never really given it a chance. I had a long drive today listening to this score and I have to say that all of my previous prejudices have been confirmed. This is a tough slog. Every track is easily three times longer than it needs to be. Minimalism at its worst. I know there are a lot of you who enjoy this score. Maybe if I saw the film I would feel differently, but away from the film and out of context I find nothing to enjoy in it.

Wonderful score, great on album or with the film I love it! But to each their own. wink beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. To each their own, indeed! I'm sure some find it a rare beauty. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    The Three Musketeers - Michael Kamen

So enjoyable.

IMO, this is a score that truly deserve an expanded release. It's missing some really good action cues from the 3rd act.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013 edited
    NP: Mission: Impossible - Danny Elfman

I caught this film on TV last night. It's is still my favourite M:I film. The cinematography is worth the price of admission and the heist at IFM headquarters is still to this day the best scene in any of the M:I films. Brilliant direction and editing.

And of course, Elfman's last minute replacement score is nothing short of superb! It's easily the best M:I score. It channels Schifrin's original sound, utilizes the original themes all the while still sounding distinctively Elfman. One of my favourite moments in the film and the score is Hunt's escape from that cafe in Prague. I love Elfman's the use of "The Plot" theme as the heroic motif for Hunt as he blasts his way out of the cafe in Prague. Awesome stuff!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    KOYANISQTSI - Philip Glass

Wonderful score, great on album or with the film I love it! But to each their own. wink beer

Same here. You have to basically like serial music to appreciate it more than just intellectually. I like Glass, Nyman, classical Morricone, hell even Jean Michel Jarre has his musical roots there.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Mission: Impossible III - Michael Giacchino

My second fav M:I film score but boy does this recording ever sound flat. I'm not a fan of Dan Wallin's recording technique at all and playing this score immediately after hearing Shawn Murphy's recording of Elfman's M:I score showcases just how plain and lifeless Wallin's recordings for Giacchino's scores actually are.

What I truly enjoy about this score is that Giacchino's action cues are always driven by some sort of motif or theme. "Factory Rescue" and "Evacuation" is a great example of this. There's a great, playful meoldy in those two cues that I would have loved for Giacchino to explore further in the score. And the cream de la cream track is of course the bloody brilliant "Hunting For Jules" Easily one of the finest cues Giacchino has ever written.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Where do you stand on Lalo Schifrin's original music Erik. I am assuming that he did not compose all the music for the show?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Where do you stand on Lalo Schifrin's original music Erik. I am assuming that he did not compose all the music for the show?

I have an LP rip of Schifrin's music that Tom made for me many years ago. I absolutely love that sort of sneaking around, jazzy, 60's rock music. I think the film makers were correct in rejecting Silvestri's original score for the film which sounded nothing more than a generic action music. There was no personality and there was nothing in his score that said "This is Mission: Impossible." Elfman on the other hand got it. He complete understand the musical language of Mission: Impossible and it shows in his score. Giacchino also got it in his scores. as well.

BTW, I think I messed up the source of the heroic theme in Elfman's cue "Mole Hunt." Who's theme is used at the end of this clip as Hunt jumps out of the cafe? Is that something Elfman wrote or is it Schifrin's?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Giacchino's M:I:III beats the rest of the franchise by far smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. The Fury - John Williams VS, 1990

A great score, Williams at his prime!

The thing is though, that I am not very much into the genre of horror und so I have but a few horror scores in my collection.

The sound of this edition is great and leaves nothing to be whished for as far as I'm concerned. So I think I'll pass on the re-issue.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

I see that you didn't read my post above.

Here let me quote it for you.

Erik Woods wrote
    And of course, Elfman's last minute replacement score is nothing short of superb! It's easily the best M:I score.

Got it? Don't make that mistake again, D.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Repeat after me:

Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no, Gi-a-cchi-no!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    101 Dalmatians - Michael Kamen

I think Kamen's the most underrated film composer and I think this is his most underrated score. Absolutely magical, full of wonderful themes, I can't understand why this score isn't routinely listed as one of the all time great family action/adventure scores. Exceptional stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My favourite M:I score is actually Zimmer's.

I've always had trouble with Elfman's score, but have warmed to it over the years. I like it better now.

I don't care much for the Giacchino scores for 3 and 4 at all.

As for the original Schifrin stuff, I haven't heard much beyond the theme. I have a suspicion I'll like it, though. I adore MANNIX, for example.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

I think Kamen's the most underrated film composer and I think this is his most underrated score. Absolutely magical, full of wonderful themes, I can't understand why this score isn't routinely listed as one of the all time great family action/adventure scores. Exceptional stuff.

I never thought of him to be underrated. I think he was very well like by most. And there's an entire generation of film score fans that will say Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was what turned them into fans.

Now, if you want to put the label underrated on the 101 Dalmatians score, then I'm right there with you. Easily 5 star material and one of his very best efforts. "Pup, Pup, Pup, Pup, Puppies" is one of his most imaginative cues!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    My favourite M:I score is actually Zimmer's.

Of course it is.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Evil Dead - Roque Banos

Banos brings nothing new to the table with the eexception of what sounds like a distorted air raid siren. It almost sounds like Goldsmith's "meowing" sound effects from Gremlins. That's really cool. Besides that, every horror cliche you've ever heard is in this score. But you know what, I love horror scores and I'm enjoying the hell out of this one especially when the choir shows up. MASSIVE!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Evil Dead - Roque Banos

Banos bringing nothing new to the table with the eexception of what sounds like a distorted air ride siren. It almost sounds like Goldsmith's "meowing" sound effects from Gremlins. That's really cool. Besides that, every horror cliche you've ever heard is in this score. But you know what, I love horror scores and I'm enjoying the hell out of this one especially when the choir shows up. MASSIVE!

-Erik-

It's wonderful! Same goes for Fernando Velasquez' MAMA. Those Spaniards really know their craft!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    JUMPING JESUS!!!!

"Final Scene" from Banos' Evil Dead

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

BTW, I think I messed up the source of the heroic theme in Elfman's cue "Mole Hunt." Who's theme is used at the end of this clip as Hunt jumps out of the cafe? Is that something Elfman wrote or is it Schifrin's?

-Erik-

I'm pretty sure Elfman wrote that.

Demetris wrote

I really do like M:I III, but:

Erik Woods wrote
    Elfman's last minute replacement score is nothing short of superb! It's easily the best M:I score.

This.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    JUMPING JESUS!!!!

"Final Scene" from Banos' Evil Dead

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

-Erik-

I told you so! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I was already enjoying the score and that track is derivative as all hell... but like I said it's horror music and this is the way I like'em.

-Erik-
  8. NP: Slipstream - Elmer Bernstein

This contains some of my favourite Bernstein passages: gloriously sweeping strings...and even the ondes martenot doesn't seem too weird (I've always found it's presence as part of an orchestra a bit unusual).

Call me bad, but I decided to keep my copy of the score once it became clear that this CD release wasn't entirely legitimate.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, I was already enjoying the score and that track is derivative as all hell... but like I said it's horror music and this is the way I like'em.

-Erik-

The siren! It has a siren! The shrieking choir stuff is too much for me, but the dissonant aggressive orchestra stuff is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
    NP: Zero Dark Thirty - Desplat

This score is really growing on me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote

I love that one too. I like that some part of it has the same feeling as the original (by George Bruns).
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Evil Dead - Roque Banos

I quite like this, but I'm not sure about the rather odd synth effect that sounds half like an air raid siren and half like Jerry Goldsmith's "cat" synth in Gremlins.