• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    NP: The Book Thief - John Williams

It may be rather simplistic and obvious, but I think "Max Lives" and "Finale" are some of the most beautiful things Williams has ever written.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner

Listening to the old GNP Crescendo album rather than the more recent expanded version.

But the sound is so much better on the expanded album! uhm dizzy

Yes, the sound is better on expanded version. But iTunes gave me the original to listen to.

Delete that shit, yo! dizzy

If you mean iTunes, I can't. I am smitten by the convenience of it. And if you mean the GNP Crescendo version of this excellent score then I can't do that either, I'm afraid. I remember being transfixed by this whole album when I first played the LP on the family "music centre". (Showing my age a bit there!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: The Cardinal - Jerome Moross

A variety of musical styles contained on this album. I'm assuming that some are source cues from the film. Moross' score itself is a lovely religious-influenced piece.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - James Newton Howard

Hmm. I came out of the film with a relatively favorable impression; it seemed like Howard had managed to build on the rather sparse foundations of the first and there were several highlights that seemed to stand out, as well as a number of more substantial action cues. On album, I'm wondering where it all went. There are a few moments that still shine ("The Tour," the second half of "Monkey Mutts," the rather Thomas Newman-like "I Need You," "Arena Crumbles"), but not as brightly as they had seemed to in context, and the action cues on album are disorganized, grating and irritatingly stop-start, just as they were in After Earth. It doesn't help matters that the album is a whopping half-hour longer than its predecessor, and a few cues are just repeated verbatim from the earlier score ("Rue's Farewell" in the first half of "The Tour," "The Train" in "A Quarter Quell," "The Countdown" in "Let's Start").

As JNH's first real sequel score, it leaves something to be desired. There's a couple new themes, most notably a female voice one reminiscent of Lily's theme from Deathly Hallows Part 2 which gets a nice swelling rendition in "Arena Crumbles". But a couple motifs from the first are dropped, such as the District 12 motif and Katniss' little ostinato type thing. JNH (or the directors) seems incapable of giving/is unwilling to give this franchise clear thematic identities, and what recurring elements there are don't seem to correspond clearly with characters, locations or concepts. It says something that The Hunger Games' most memorable and identifiable theme continues to be the Capitol anthem, which is essentially source music.

All in all I'd say the score has similar strengths and flaws as the first one, but the long album makes this entry much more arduous (this coming from someone who ordinarily hates that argument!). As is the case with Game of Thrones, we'll probably be able to get one CD's worth of solid highlights once all is said and done, and that's simply not good enough for a big franchise. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Regarding the highlights seeming less great, I'm guessing they once again deleted the choir as seems to be the strange and ridiculous case with all JNH score releases of the past few years?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Scribe wrote
    Regarding the highlights seeming less great, I'm guessing they once again deleted the choir as seems to be the strange and ridiculous case with all JNH score releases of the past few years?

Actually, no. Fortunately, this is the first album of his in a while to buck that highly unfortunate trend. Let's hope we never hear anything like that again. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Because I'm contrary I will continue to post in the old thread!
    NP: Best of Iron Maiden

IT'S NOT EVEN A SOUNDTRACK, MAN!!
    YEAH!
    That's how I ROLL, B*TCHES!
    AHA! AHAHAHAA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Best of Iron Maiden

Must be a rather short album then.

Thread closed.
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah...yeah... that's probably for the best.
    shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    NP: The Book Thief - John Williams

It may be rather simplistic and obvious, but I think "Max Lives" and "Finale" are some of the most beautiful things Williams has ever written.

Zz.z..
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    {Pst. D. Thread is closed. Go here instead!}
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then how am i still posting? CYPROmaaan, CYPROmaaan, posting in places whil you caaaaaan't........!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.