• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014
    Ah yes, Lawrence of Arabia light.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN - James Horner

Amazing!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Batman and Robin - Elliot Goldenthal

At last, a proper 45-minute album of it, acquired from a medium in Harpenden, Herts. Great album!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Batman and Robin - Elliot Goldenthal

acquired from a medium in Harpenden, Herts.

Saw you coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014
    Been listening to quite a bit of Christopher Gordon material of late.
    Man, I love his Commonwealth Games music. What a theme!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    John Carter - Giacchino

I've never really been able to connect with this, and I still can't. Technically accomplished, but it just passes me by, really.

Yeah, strange this one. My initial listen was positive but the more I listened to the score the less I liked it, it should be the kind of score I like.

The score has grown on me. I did not like it initionally. What I still do not like about it is the very noticable temp track bleeding. Yet this might be more to blame to the producers than to the composer.

Score is amazing, if you forget how crappy and awful the movie is, that is. Thank God i didn't watch past the first 10 minutes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Been listening to quite a bit of Christopher Gordon material of late.
    Man, I love his Commonwealth Games music. What a theme!!

One of my favourite 'scores'. I hope he gets a chance to write more music for these types of events.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE - Alex North

One of the greatest jazz scores ever written, a ground breaking classic. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    In honor of the passing of the late, great Jerry Goldsmith ten years ago today I'm playing selections from
    First Knight
    Lionheart
    The Final Conflict
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    and The Blue Max

His music will live on forever!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    In honor of the passing of the late, great Jerry Goldsmith ten years ago today I'm playing selections from
    First Knight
    Lionheart
    The Final Conflict
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    and The Blue Max

His music will live on forever!

10 YEARS!!! How time flies, it still feels more recent to me than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You're right there. It seems just a few short years ago when we first heard the news.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lost In Space Bruce Broughton & Don Davis...ish

It was generally well received at the time I suppose, but imagine what would happen if this was released today - people would be going as nuts about it as I did when I first heard it.

5 stars, motherfucker. [/Samuel L. Jackson]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    His orchestrations are quite obvious, mostly in the frenetic action cues (try Spiders, for example). This is quite literally the opposite of a complaint, I should add.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It is an excellent score. The film was on TV this weekend, I wasn't able to sit through it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ha! I quite like it, in a 'I know this is bad' sort of way. (Plus it has Gary Oldman in it.) Though I haven't seen it for quite a while.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014
    I don't think I've ever seen Gary Oldman bad in anything...even his OTT performance in The 5th Element.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's the Meryl Streep of actors.

Wait... uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WILD CHINA -Barnaby Taylor

This is superb but unfortunately not available on album, this would be a definite buy otherwise.

Listening on Spotify
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It is on iTunes (or at least, it was - I bought it).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited
    I'll buy it myself soon.

I'd rather have it on a CD though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I'm playing this on Spotify. It says it's the 1948 original soundtrack but it sounds remarkably fresh. Markedly different in a number of places compared to Rumon Gamba's recording of the film score for Chandos records.

It also says composed and conducted by Ralph Vaughan Williams? I am pretty sure that the film score was conducted by Muir Mathieson. Mathieson was basically the British version of Lionel Newman, fixing jobs and conducting the works of various composers. It was Mathieson who conducted Bernard Herrmann's film score for VERTIGO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Need for Speed - Nathan Furst

I didn't like it very much (outside of a few cues) in the beginning. But, after seeing half the movie and hearing the score functioning very well inside it, I like much more. It's very much an orchestral score in the Brian Tyler-vein, but with some cute Trevor Rabin-esque guitar stuff. Sadly, you don't get a lot of action, but what's there is entertaining, especially, "Motor City Mayhem" and the very short "Grasshopper".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The movie is a huge flop from what i hear, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    The movie is a huge flop from what i hear, no?

Probably. It simply didn't have enough action to be comparable to the Fast&Furious franchise. But, FWIW, I did like the story and the actors and the overall organic action sequences. It was a charming bit of a diversion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hercules - Fernando Velazquez

When he's doing the second-rate Brian Tyler/Marvel rip-offs it's enjoyable enough; the awful sub-Remote Control electronic stuff is an embarrassment. Is this really by Velazquez?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If someone told me Sony had actually sent out the wrong link and this is really Tyler Bates's Guardians of the Galaxy then it would be no surprise at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    If someone told me Sony had actually sent out the wrong link and this is really Tyler Bates's Guardians of the Galaxy then it would be no surprise at all.

Oooh, so much sizzles from that BURN!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014
    NP : THE RUSSIA HOUSE - Jerry Goldsmith

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014
    Southall wrote
    Hercules - Fernando Velazquez

When he's doing the second-rate Brian Tyler/Marvel rip-offs it's enjoyable enough; the awful sub-Remote Control electronic stuff is an embarrassment. Is this really by Velazquez?

It's bad indeed. Such a shame. Friggin electronics crushing wonderful orchestral writing and a very nice leitmotif. They just had to, how else would the brainless 15year old fans of the mega-douche THE ROCK would appeal?