• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    The leap between classical and more popular music genres is not uncommon. Most of you probably know that Brahms' "Hungarian Dances" is considered a major influence of what would become ragtime at the turn of the 20th century.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    Hello Tom,

I don't think that it was the intention of Stravinsky to write The Rite of Spring as a way to help people to get acquainted with Classical Music. It was clearly that he wrote the work to show to music-adepts that there was another manner of making music : music that didn't accept bounderies or imposed "laws". He created something completely different, using unusual material (percussion) and many dissonances (don't forget that this was a ballet which subject was to let us see life and rituals in ancient and barbaric pagan Russia and I really am convinced that this music just explains what it was all about). It remains a milestone in musical history and prepared the road for other composers who went far beyond Stravinsky's writing (like the expressionists of the 2nd Viennese School : Alban Berg, Anton Webern and Arnold Schoenberg who, most of the time used atonal structures). And let us not forget what came later : works from Varese, Xenakis and other renewers.....

Robert
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016 edited
    As I understand it Tom was referring to Rhapsody In Blue, Robert.

As a child, my introduction to classical music was through the likes of Saint-Saens Carnival of The Animals, Greig's Peer Gynt, Holst's The Planets and the popular works of Tchaikovsky.

I was also very familiar with a number of incidental pieces from great composers, I remember pieces from Prokofiev's Scythian Suite, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Vaughan Williams symphony #6 ( the only program I can put a name to as I posted earlier, a show that ran from 1970 - 72, I would have been 9 - 11 years old but that music stayed with me, the series I can barely remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y11bhs21Ek ) and others which were used as TV themes for various BBC / ITV productions, all of which were never credited in the credits. Only years later did I become more knowledgeable and acquainted with the composers names and works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Robert I was talking about "Rhapsody in Blue" as a piece to introduce people to classical music. I mentioned Grofe being the orchestrator as a bridge to introduce people to his work "Grand Canyon Suite." As Timmer mentioned "The Planets" is another excellent example of a piece to introduce people.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As far as "The Rite of Spring" is concerned it is a wonderful work but quite radical and I find that most people who appreciate classical music do not enjoy this work at all.
    Tom
  1. When I was a child there was an LP anthology "Wir entdecken Komponisten" (roughly "Let's Discover Classical Composers") on Deutsche Grammophon. It is still in print today on CD. Those LPs were radio plays featuring lengthy excerpts of music by the respective composer. It mostly were recordings by Karl Böhm & The Vienna Philharmonics. On some of these LPs the narration was by Böhm's son, actor and philanthropist Karlheinz Böhm, others by the renowned stage actor Will Quadflieg.
    I always got one of these LPs from my grandparents every time they came visiting. I played those LPs over and over again, many of them I knew by heart. That has been my introduction to classical music. The classical LPs that my parents would play I came to appreciate later.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    You are right if you say that Tom was refering to Gerswin's Rhapsody in Blue when he mentioned that this work might have been a step to appreciate the valor of Classical Music for it is very accessible. My response about the importance of The Rite of Spring had no other reason than to explain what this masterpiece has caused in the further evolution of tendencies within this part of "serious" music. I agree that for people who know very little about Classical Music it is much easier to prefer Gerswin's creation than the difficult and strange sounds of Stravinsky's work. Nevertheless, what the Russian genius wrote down in this composition will stand forever as one of the must sublime writings ever composed.

Robert
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Robert,
    I agree with you that the Stravinsky work is arguably the finest work written in the 20th century. It took rhythm to a new level, never before achieved. As a person who likes film and classical music I've always pondered what Stravinsky might have done with Jane Eyre instead of Bernard Herrmann.
    Tom
  2. I heard an anecdote once that Stravinsky was approached sometime in the 50s to score some film or other. He asked for a million dollars salary (50s dollars!!), a year to write it and that the film be edited around his music. Needless to say, other avenues were then pursued. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016
    Heard the same story Edmund.
  3. 1950s? I've heard it was the 1930s. And rather than demanding it (not sure about the million dollars) he expected that to happen. I think Rozsa reminisced on that somewhere, his reaction being, if I remember correctly, "Hmm, we'll see then!" (not sure if actually said biggrin )
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016
    I think the film in question was "Jane Eyre" which would put it in the 40's.
    Tom?
  4. Justin's website says that Stravinsky was supposed to score The Song of Bernadette.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. I don't know what Stravinsky would have done for Bernadette of course, but I certainly love what Alfred Newman did. A wonderful score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. It was that early? That would have been a ballsy choice considering how strictly late-Romantic film music was at the time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016
    My understanding is "Jane Eyre" which was a film that Orson Welles had too much control over. I could never see those two working together. There second choice was Herrmann which was the right call.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016
    If I may recommend you, music-lovers, a work that means a lot for me is BARTOK'S only opera : BLUEBEARD'S CASTLE : (an opera that takes only 1 hour). Why is it so important for me ? First the subject : Bluebeard is unable to love the 6 wives he murdered (in reality they are all alive). When he meets his seventh wife (Judith) he is again in no position to express his hove though he is overwhelmed by her beauty but his character and status are an obstacle to pass the steps he has to overcome. But I adore this work in the first place for the incredible splendour of the music. What Bartok wrote here is certainly one of the greatest masterpieces of modern opera : the colour of the music is so present and the melodic lines are above everything I heard in present operatic art.
    Listen to the music when Judith opens the door that shows Bluebeard estates and land and you get tears in your eyes because of the power of the score : it is just unbelievable and it is equal during the rest of the opera : only greatness and sorrow when Bluebeard tries to express his love to Judith. But she is a stubborn woman and wants all the keys of the sevens doors which Bluebeard gives her at last (against his will). Then she sees that all the women loved by her husband are all alive and she rejoins them. All what rests is "night, nothing but darkness, endless darkness for Bluebeard....
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016
    I've never heard it so I will have to change that
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    Good idea, Tom,

I can advise you two performances :

- on CD : with Christa Ludwig as Judith and Walter Berry as Bluebeard : certainly the most exquisite interpretation of this work and with Istvan Kertesz (himself Hungarian) as conductor. And what is very important and necessary : the opera is sung in it's natural language (Hungarian).
    - on DVD : label DECCA : with Sylvia Sass as Judith and Kolos Kovats as Bluebeard (conductor Sir Georg Solti): a very good version of this masterpiece but not as good as the work on the CD mentioned first. The opera is also sung in Hungarian.
    Try one of them and you will not be disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2016
    I think I'll go for the one on CD. I'm quite familiar with Kertesz as I'm listening to him right now as he is conducting Rimsky-Korsakoff overtures from his operas Skaza, Ivan the Terrible, and The Snow Maiden. I believe that an opera should be sung in the language of the composer.
    Tom smile