• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Amazing how you guys always get your hands on a new album so fast and simultaneously...

Haha... yeah ... how about that? Heh. What a coincidence. Heh.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Practically everything from 11 onwards is great. And it's mostly Zimmer's, evidently.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Amazing how you guys always get your hands on a new album so fast and simultaneously...

Haha... yeah ... how about that? Heh. What a coincidence. Heh.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Track 11 is huge and epic, loving it.

The best track, for the moment... beer
  1. Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Track 11 is huge and epic, loving it.

The best track, for the moment... beer

Same here ! beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Practically everything from 11 onwards is great. And it's mostly Zimmer's, evidently.

Agree. I love powell, of course ( my second favourite composer) , but Zimmer power still steals my feelings. (Some AWE action tracks orchestrations, here)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PAN TADEUSZ - Wojchiech Kilar

Gorgeously lyrical score cool

p.s. Is there anyone else here today who ISN'T playing something by HANS ZIMMER or JOHN POWELL??? rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008 edited
    Me.

This cylon feels a bit lonely now. Obviously my plan failed.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The first track is by far my favourite (not just because it's blatently Powell). tongue

(but mainly) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry

This is Silva's excellent re-recording of the "complete" score, though it doesn't quite hit the heights of the original recording the wealth of unreleased material make it a must have, plus the fact this is Barry writing for orchestra and choir and there's only a handful of composers I can think of who write for choir as well as Barry does cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Kung Fu panda ( Powell and Zimmer)

How Glad I am to writte the two composers name in the same score.

Im very familiar with Zimmer rythms and orchestrations (even when they are a little bit more orchestral), but I can't find any track where Zimmer influence is clear (Maybe track 12)

I guess he is more the composer of the most oriental passages, like Lord Pirate of Singapore, mixed with powell's orchestrations.

the 16th track is pretty touching! Track 8 and 11 are impressive, but probably the best track is the first one.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008
    Timmer wrote

This is Silva's excellent re-recording of the "complete" score, though it doesn't quite hit the heights of the original recording the wealth of unreleased material make it a must have, plus the fact this is Barry writing for orchestra and choir and there's only a handful of composers I can think of who write for choir as well as Barry does cool

So you are saying that I should get the original disc that Intrada released last year? A must to purchase Tim?

Np Cassandra's Dream Philip Glass

I just finished listening to the clips from Kung Fu Panda which left me with a "looking forward" to that feeling. Thanks for posting that Anthony. Now, unto Glass territory which in this case is more of the same in term of musical structure and feeling. Lots of cello. I like his style.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Timmer wrote

So you are saying that I should get the original disc that Intrada released last year? A must to purchase Tim?

Np Cassandra's Dream Philip Glass

I just finished listening to the clips from Kung Fu Panda which left me with a "looking forward" to that feeling. Thanks for posting that Anthony. Now, unto Glass territory which in this case is more of the same in term of musical structure and feeling. Lots of cello. I like his style.

Not sure if I'd go that far Martin? The Silva disc really is so damned good but I have been used to the original from way back when it was an LP.

And Martin, good to see you here again pal! beer smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote

Cool indeed! I have the Silva recording but not the Intrada. But yes, the Silva Barry recordings have so much unreleased material that make them very worth it. I'd love for someone to release the score for Love Among The Ruins. The Silva suite in the Barry compilation is gorgeous.
  2. NP: The Magnificent Ambersons (Herrmann)

The theme Herrmann wrote for 'First Letter Scene' and 'End Titles' brings me to tears every time I hear it. The use of the Waldteunfel waltz throughout makes it another beautiful musical story from Herrmann.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. NP: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Thomas Newman

First Listen.

@Anthony: I didn't notice any volume problems so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Thomas Newman

First Listen.

Anti, that's a gorgeous score. Have you watched the movie as well? It aids a lot to the overall experience.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Thomas Newman

First Listen.

Anti, that's a gorgeous score. Have you watched the movie as well? It aids a lot to the overall experience.

Yes, I watched it the first time a few weeks ago. The score works great in the movie. It instantly went on my buying list after watching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Kung Fu Panda (HZ & JP)
    Seems I´m the last one to play it! crazy tongue
    I´m liking what I hear here. I´m only in track 4 (totally Zimmer, as has been mentioned by many of you) but Powell´s influence is all around....in fact most of the comic music is by him, if not all. Curious, as Powell came to the project pretty late, didn´t he?
    Ok, I keep listening....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. NP: Fool's Gold - George Fenton

First Listen. Sounds good and a bit like John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Fool's Gold - George Fenton

I´d say it sounds a lot like John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Antineutrino wrote

Wait 'till you get the to latter part of the score, toward the end. You're in for big surprises wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2008 edited
    le pacte des loups( brotherhood of the wolf) - Joseph LoDuca

first tracks sound really good, I didn't know LoDuca, seems this was his first major European production
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ I liked that dark score, and the equally tempered movie it accompanied. I think it has some very good moments innit, an overlooked production overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Still Playing Kung Fu Panda (HZ & JP)
    I´m lovin´it!
    Although one can tell which parts are by Zimmer or Powell, it´s pretty balanced through all the score. That´s what I was looking for: a solid effort of two different styles mixed perfectly for the greater good. And now I see what Zimmer meant by "epic" with tracks like "Sacred Pool of Tears", "The Bridge" or "Shifu Faces Tai Long", mainly Zimmer tracks but with great Powell touches here and there (I´m sure the choir work in "Shifu Faces Tai Long" is by Powell and the Cody Banks-esque parts of "The Bridge" too).
    The truth be told, I didn´t expect so many action/epic tracks. I was expecting some action tracks between tones of mickey mousing. I´m glad I was SO wrong.
    I´m gonna listen a lot this score the next days, no doubt about it.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Wait 'till you get the to latter part of the score, toward the end. You're in for big surprises wink

My first listen is finished. The score sounds indeed like Powell.
  7. NP: King Kong - Max Steiner

First Listen (and the last one of the cds that arrived yesterday).
  8. Marselus wrote
    NP Kung Fu Panda (HZ & JP)
    Seems I´m the last one to play it! crazy tongue

Since I don´t have it, you´re not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    While updating the Top Three Lists, I listened to:

Elizabeth: The Golden Age / World Trade Center - Craig Armstrong

After I heard the news about The Incredible Hulk, I wanted to return to those scores, since I haven´t listened to them as much as I should have...

Elizabeth is easily the better of those two, with many powerful tracks as well as memorable themes and quiet moments, though the Love Theme reminds me a lot about the Sleeping in Light-Theme from Babylon 5 by Christopher Franke.

World Trade Center is a very quiet score getting nearly no attention while played in the background. Themes are recognisable very soon, though, and there are some heart-breaking moments in it if you´re receptable to this stuff.

Knowing only Love Actually and Plunkett & Mc Lean beyond that, I have no idea what to expect from Hulk. Some tracks in Elizabeth seemed to touch on RC style (which is no bad thing in my opinion), but most were very different from it and absolutely breath-taking.

The more I see and hear about The Incredible Hulk, the more I am tempted to see it in theatres...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Marselus wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

I´d say it sounds a lot like John Powell.

I'd say it sounds a lot like George Fenton, with Powellish moments that are not necissarily trademarks of Powell.