• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    NP: Beni Mora---Gustav Holst

At least in this particular piece Holst could repeat as well as Herrmann! Heh, this might be where Bernie got the idea to begin with.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Beni Mora---Gustav Holst

At least in this particular piece Holst could repeat as well as Herrmann! Heh, this might be where Bernie got the idea to begin with.

I've never heard it Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008
    NP : SYMPHONY # 11 'THE YEAR 1905' - Dmitri Shostakovich

Awesome, Awesome work!

This was recorded live at The Barbican in London in 2002 with the LSO and Mstilav Rostropovich, and what a brilliant recording it is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Though I've never heard anything to compare it with.

p.s. I remember listening to 'Hitchhiker's Guide' when it was first broadcast on radio a loooonnng time ago

Then you have heard something to compare it with. smile
    I think the first broadcast was 1980.
    I first heard it in 1983, when I found the LP version.

Drop us a line if you're interested in copies.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.553696

Tim:
    It's a nice low cost Holst from Naxos
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Though I've never heard anything to compare it with.

p.s. I remember listening to 'Hitchhiker's Guide' when it was first broadcast on radio a loooonnng time ago

Then you have heard something to compare it with. smile
    I think the first broadcast was 1980.
    I first heard it in 1983, when I found the LP version.

Drop us a line if you're interested in copies.

Thanks martijn smile

I'll wait and see what my friend has available first, p;us I can look in the Library.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.553696

Tim:
    It's a nice low cost Holst from Naxos

Looking through a lot of releases from A - Z the NAXOS catalogue is massive.

That Holst CD looks good Tom and the RSNO are top notch.
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    NP: The music of Saara Aalto from Youtube

I'm now listening and watching some songs by lovely Saara Aalto. She came in the second place in Finnish Talent TV-show. I think she is a very talented singer and songwriter. Her songs are very sensitive and the lyrics are beautiful and rich, Finnish language at its best. I hope her a great future!

Her first performance at 'Talent Suomi': http://youtube.com/watch?v=_A1Nkzyrn2g
    Her performance in the semifinals: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zn7PHK06UzE
    Her performance in the final: http://youtube.com/watch?v=E8MyPVF7x9g

Edit: There was also one performance associated with film music in the show. Drum/Bass duo Vilhelm and Jay performed a medley of famous TV-show themes (including MacGyver and Knight Rider) in the semifinals: http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9i7x52k_JI
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008
    NP : FLYING IN A BLUE DREAM - Joe Satriani

Excellent! punk

You'd be very hard pressed to name one person who's as technically gifted as this guitar genius.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008
    NP : TINY DYNAMINE - Cocteau Twins

Weird, ethereal and wonderful cool

Most will know singer Liz Fraser more for her vocals on Shore's LOTR.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    NP : DECKSANDDRUMSANDROCKANDROLL - Propellerheads

Great album that has had a few tracks lifted for film.

My fave is Shirley Bassey's 'History Repeating' punk

Here's a little collaboration they did with DAVID ARNOLD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R4hgs6QXeg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

Exceptional cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Exceptional cool

This album has become very personal to me, I really love it. Why it's personal I'm not too sure, perhaps because a lot of things are happening at uni for me, and it'll always remind me of that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Exceptional cool

This album has become very personal to me, I really love it. Why it's personal I'm not too sure, perhaps because a lot of things are happening at uni for me, and it'll always remind me of that.

Have we ever had a thread here about what albums are 'very personal' to people and why? There was one at FSM but I don't know if it's been done here? If so it would have to include music from all spectrums.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DECKSANDDRUMSANDROCKANDROLL - Propellerheads

Great album that has had a few tracks lifted for film.

My fave is Shirley Bassey's 'History Repeating' punk

Here's a little collaboration they did with DAVID ARNOLD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R4hgs6QXeg

^
    This wasn't the one I intended. Go to 'Related Videos' on the right for On Her Majesty's Secret Service - David Arnold, or scroll down a bit for the full 9+minute version. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008 edited
    NP : DREAM OF THE BLUE TURTLES - Sting

A very good, very melodic "jazz" album from Sting.

Why he had to assemble such a great line-up of the worlds greatest jazz musicians is beyond me, there's nothing in the material here that would even push session musicians.

regardless, it is good music, just a shame it's performed by one of the worlds biggest prats!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008
    NP : RUBBER SOUL - The Beatles

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008 edited
    NP : The Best of Clannad

Good mellow celtic Irish vibes to chill to. cool

My favourite track is In A Lifetime where Moya Brennan's haunting vocal are joined by his holyness savior of the world and worthy African children too Bono, a fabulous track that's far too short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RITES OF PASSAGE (Roger Hodgson)

Great live album from the late 90's. New songs (also performed and co-written by others) and his own classic songs. Btw, Hodgson is apparently coming to Norway later this month for a concert in a "classic rock" festival in Sandnes, Western Norway! I've never ever heard any of the Supertramp members live (nor do I think they have ever been here), so I obviously wanted to go, especially because Manfred Mann's Earthband also performs that night, another favourite of mine (which I saw live in 1996). But I can't because of my job. Oh well. I guess it would have been weird to be the only 30-year-old among thousands of fans in the 50+ age group! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008
    Thor wrote
    NP: RITES OF PASSAGE (Roger Hodgson)

Great live album from the late 90's. New songs (also performed and co-written by others) and his own classic songs. Btw, Hodgson is apparently coming to Norway later this month for a concert in a "classic rock" festival in Sandnes, Western Norway! I've never ever heard any of the Supertramp members live (nor do I think they have ever been here), so I obviously wanted to go, especially because Manfred Mann's Earthband also performs that night, another favourite of mine (which I saw live in 1996). But I can't because of my job. Oh well. I guess it would have been weird to be the only 30-year-old among thousands of fans in the 50+ age group! smile

Is there absolutely no way you can go Thor? Pull a 'sickie' maybe? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

Maybe if it had been Oslo, but it's far away, almost to Stavanger, which means I have to be gone for two days, and there is no room for that in the schedule of the TV series I'm casting. Oh well. Speaking of festivals, you're doing Glastonbury again this year, are you not?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OBSCURED BY CLOUDS (Pink Floyd)

Also known as the score to the film LA VALLÉE. Brilliant poprock, not as progressive as previous albums.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Maybe if it had been Oslo, but it's far away, almost to Stavanger, which means I have to be gone for two days, and there is no room for that in the schedule of the TV series I'm casting. Oh well. Speaking of festivals, you're doing Glastonbury again this year, are you not?

Yes, I have the Glastonbury gig.

Nothing in the line-up I've seen is overly exciting me though slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Also known as the score to the film LA VALLÉE. Brilliant poprock, not as progressive as previous albums.

^
    "snap!"....well, not quite wink

NP : MEDDLE - Pink Floyd

cool

Has Dave Gilmour's guitar ever been more sublimly dreamy than on Echoes? cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: "The Final Countdown" (Europe)

punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

^

cool

Probably not, although he's quite dreamy on the latest ON AN ISLAND album. You've acquired that by now, right?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    Thor wrote

punk

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

^

cool

Probably not, although he's quite dreamy on the latest ON AN ISLAND album. You've acquired that by now, right?

Yep!

I really like it though it took a few listens to really sink in, I hope he doesn't take as long as the space between this and his first solo album before he releases something new?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I really like it though it took a few listens to really sink in, I hope he doesn't take as long as the space between this and his first solo album before he releases something new?

I agree, but he does in fact have THREE solo albums out. The self-titled one from 1978, ABOUT FACE from 1984 and then ON AN ISLAND from 2006.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

punk

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! shocked

Oh come on! It's FUN!
    I am extremely serious.