• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Thor wrote
    Do you have any tips for the rest of us drunkenbolts to get back to normal as quickly as possible?

The answer to this is just too obvious, isn't it... rolleyes
    I can't believe people go through so much effort to feel sick!

Because feeling sick isn't the goal, obviously.

The dynamics are very understandable, and quite self-defeating in any "common sense" kind of way: you feel good while doing it (and ofttimes increasingly better, more self-confident, funny, sexy and excellently witty) and the price to pay becomes a hazy, abstract, slightly surreal concept, not to be too concerned with anyway, as it pertains to some undefined point in some far off future.

It's only (and always) the day after any possible regret starts to sink in.
    And as with most pain: the human body doesn't tend to remember that when next it finds itself in a similar situation. But we do remember the excellent time we had, how funny we were, how sexy, and how much fun we had... and we start all over again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    I know how it works. smile
    Most adults have enough self control though. Or so I thought.

And the one and only tip is right there in front of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    I know how it works. smile

Hey! You said "I can't believe people go through so much effort to feel sick!"
    If it was rethorical you should have said! We get easily confused here down MT way. tongue

Most adults have enough self control though. Or so I thought.

confused
    Any Saturday evening in any centre in any town in any country in the world (with the possible exception of Saudi Arabia...but they all go to Dubai for the weekend) would seem to indicate differently... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thing is, she's right.
    At least I agree with Bregje anyway.

I stop once I reach a certain point if I'm out drinking. I've done the whole drinking-until-it-hurts thing, at it ain't pretty. Drinking needn't be indicative to the amount of fun we have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Drinking needn't be indicative to the amount of fun we have.

Of course, and it's not an "agree-disagree" thing.
    I was just pointing out that in practice things turn out differently from how they should be.
    I would venture a guess that nobody drinks for the purpose of hurting.
    It's just a side effect that tends to "creep up on us".

I couldn't even comment from personal experience: my metabolism works in such a weird way that I ALWAYS stop before getting sick (hence me never having hangovers): there's a certain "absolute" cut-off point where I will simply not like to drink alcohol any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Booze rules. So do juicy babes. Some overdo it, the first hurts you the later no!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ..what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think D. might have overimbibed this early Monday afternoon... christmas_drunk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Drinking needn't be indicative to the amount of fun we have.

Of course, and it's not an "agree-disagree" thing.
    I was just pointing out that in practice things turn out differently from how they should be.
    I would venture a guess that nobody drinks for the purpose of hurting.
    It's just a side effect that tends to "creep up on us".

I couldn't even comment from personal experience: my metabolism works in such a weird way that I ALWAYS stop before getting sick (hence me never having hangovers): there's a certain "absolute" cut-off point where I will simply not like to drink alcohol any more.

Like you I seem to have an "in-built" cut off point where it doesn't matter how drunk I am I just won't drink anymore. I haven't been physically sick from booze since my very early 20's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you got really sick and went to the doctor who told you that you're allergic to strawberries and if you stopped eating them you'll get better you'd do it rather than find a way around it. And a sane person wouldn't repeat the process over and over again. Like Bregje says it makes no sense.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Too much booze hurts. Too many juicy babes don't hurt. That's the point dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And because it is a drug with addicting properties as humans we don't when to stop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course, the only way to avoid hangovers is to not drink anything at all. But that is NOT an option! I've never really understood those who say that you can have just as much fun at a party WITHOUT drinking. That makes no sense to me, especially if the party in question is alchohol-driven.

In any case, it's not so much a question of AVOIDING the hangover, which is impossible, but to ameliorate its effects by whatever measures there are.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A party without booze is nothing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    A party without booze is nothing.

You wouldn't want to get booted in the goolies by that heifer shocked biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That whale you mean! shocked vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    That whale you mean! shocked vomit

FREEEEE WILLEEeeeeeeeeeeeh!
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Of course, the only way to avoid hangovers is to not drink anything at all. But that is NOT an option! I've never really understood those who say that you can have just as much fun at a party WITHOUT drinking. That makes no sense to me, especially if the party in question is alchohol-driven.

Amen!

Having said that, I tend to restrain myself these days and not overdo it. I've always known my limit, which is why I've so frequently been aware that I've exceeded it. But my days of overdoing it are pretty much behind me. I tend to reach a point where I don't feel like drinking any more, and then just stop and want to go to bed.

This isn't to say hangovers are a thing of the past... and the best cure always seems to be sausages, bacon, fried egg and baked beans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep, that would make aaaallllll the bad stuff come out in a hurry. vomit

(Brits rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Yep, that would make aaaallllll the bad stuff come out in a hurry. vomit

(Brits rolleyes )

There's clearly something wrong with you. I think I know what it is, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not British? angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Why not!? angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I blame Napoleon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I'm not British? angelic

Don't worry about it ol' pal, not everyone can be perfect. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alcohol, like it or not, is a part of our society
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I'm not British? angelic

Damn. You ruined my punchline.

The correct response was "what's wrong with me?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    "what's wrong with me?"

You're British.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    ...the best cure always seems to be sausages, bacon, fried egg and baked beans.

I hear a full fry up is the best cure as well. I never have the stomach (or head) to cook all this after a night out though. Usually a big bowl of pasta is enough for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote
    ...the best cure always seems to be sausages, bacon, fried egg and baked beans.

I hear a full fry up is the best cure as well. I never have the stomach (or head) to cook all this after a night out though. Usually a big bowl of pasta is enough for me.

Wuss! Get right in there with the fry-up and some industrial-strength coffee. Some toast is OK while you're waiting for the breakfast to arrive in all its glory. Marmalade optional.