• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    Regarding the new LOTR CD's....I thought you guys DIED for this stuff?? The more, the better and so on?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited
    While it's great to get C&C's of The Lord of the Rings scores unfortunately they don't hold up particularly well in their complete form. HOWEVER, in saying that, at least with the complete releases I can pick and choose the tracks that I want to listen to and create my own preferred listening experience.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One could only imagine if somehow all of the extra material that Beethoven wrote before he finally edited and put out his fifth. I'm sure there was much he didn't want anyone to listen to.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    While it's great to get C&C's of The Lord of the Rings scores unfortunately they don't hold up particularly well in their complete form. HOWEVER, in saying that, at least with the complete releases I can pick and choose the tracks that I want to listen to and create my own preferred listening experience.

-Erik-

Preceisly. And that's the reason I don't understand Thor's logic. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've got a 10 page short story that I've edited down from 100 pages. I certainly have no desire to have anyone read that. I keep it strictly for reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Regarding the new LOTR CD's....I thought you guys DIED for this stuff?? The more, the better and so on?

Some do I'm sure, but I think most people here are I hope normal folk in that there comes a point where too much is too much. Though unlike yourself -who seems to take things just as obsessively on the opposite end of the spectrum- I usually prefer a lengthy release: I can choose my own tracks and create my own playlist (something I understand not everyone is inclined to do)... but regarding this particular release, it's just overkill. I am interested in the book though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I can get through the first two complete scores no problem, but the third is just my-ears-are-bleeding death. I said in another thread I ran a half marathon listening to this and still had fifty minutes to go when I'd finished. biggrin

Still, having four hours that I can choose from is better than seventy minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Way over the top. Wish I was going to be in town for the San Diego Comic Con this year. I'm sure there will be a lot of action over this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    One could only imagine if somehow all of the extra material that Beethoven wrote before he finally edited and put out his fifth. I'm sure there was much he didn't want anyone to listen to.
    Thomas

That's all fine and dandy but in this case Howard Shore is more than happy to let the whole world hear everything from his three scores. If you aren't interested then don't buy it. Meanwhile, there are thousands who want to have everything.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Freaks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thousands of 'em.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Do these thousands of freaks lack the internet?

If not, why are not they not HERE? slant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Shore isn't Beethoven. Obviously wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Beethoven wasn't Canadian.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that's one of the differences wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    One of the two has won an Oscar.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    Oscar wasn't Canadian either.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010
    Did Oscar actually win an Oscar?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    HeeroJF wrote
    Did Oscar actually win an Oscar?

Yes! Oscar Hammerstein II, did.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

That's all fine and dandy but in this case Howard Shore is more than happy to let the whole world hear everything from his three scores. If you aren't interested then don't buy it. Meanwhile, there are thousands who want to have everything.

-Erik-

It is the decision of the composer, I'll give you that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm confident that there would be tens of thousands interested in every scrap of paper that Rowlings has on Harry Potter. There might be a dead file on her computer that has all sorts of ideas she came up with that she thought better of. There might be a whole untapped market out there.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Collectors and hard core fans might be interested in that, Tom. I have many books on the Art of Such-and-Such film that contains unused rendering and concepts of characters, costumes and whatnot that were never used. But as a fan of those films those books give you an inside look on how a particular production came together and what a director might have had in mind in pre-production but eventually came out completely different in post. It's fascinating! The Lord of the Rings book will be much of the same. And the CD full of extra material might shed some light on the inspiration and beginnings of the score we know and thousands upon thousands adore.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If it sells I'm all for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Sometimes too much is just too much though. I'm as big a Star Wars fan as they come, for example, but sometimes some of these production pictures, artwork, concepts, documentaries. alternate sketches (all of it very very expensive of course) is just TOO much. If you really want me to spend so much attention to learn the making of a story, then make a dramatized movie about the making of that story.

I think a dramatized retelling of how Star Wars came to be would be rather nice! Like Dreamer of Oz or Finding Neverland for Star Wars. Vin Diesel should play George Lucas.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Lord of the Rings book will be much of the same. And the CD full of extra material might shed some light on the inspiration and beginnings of the score we know and thousands upon thousands adore.

-Erik-

I started reading the liner notes of the complete recordings last night, and the amount of detail Shore went into when writing the music is incredible. I thought I knew it well but all the connections and similarities he's used in linking themes is astounding. I'll more than happily buy a book that will give me further insight (and music!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is just something I have no interest in at all. I as an example don't need to know the thought process of how Beethoven put together his 5th Symphony. I just enjoy it.