• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    I can understand why it might be underwhelming at first, but it's a fantastic score. Works brilliantly in the film (and for me, on album).
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I think Eidelman's VI is immensely underrated.
    It took a few listens from me (I started out quite underwhelmed) but I ended up really appreciating this work. It's powerful and thematic and really underscores what to all intents and purposes is the end of an era quite poignantly, without resorting to false sentimentalism.

Really? I confess to not having listened to it more than two, three times. The overture is of course superb, but I remember not enjoying the rest of the score from those listens. Underwhelmed is the word here.

Time to (re)discover this country then. smile

Star Trek 6 is indeed a far better score than most people give it credit for, hugely entertaining
    I need to listen to this one again, even though I think it was always better in the film itself
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Eidelman's score is awesome, not that far behind the first and Horner's two.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    What a fucking...
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … 410%2D1108

What a wasted batch. Shit -- not even a batch.

fucking waste of money, come on, why didn't they release this in the first place? Ah because everyone would buy the one CD first, and then one year later this double disc as everybody is a Giacchino fan. This is a shameful act of Varese.

While it's great people will get now what they finally begged for, I don't care about this commercial stunt whatsoever angry

You said it! They are giving the people EXACTLY what they wanted. I don't think Varese or Giacchino for that matter knew how big the new Star Trek was going to be. Up until the Star Trek prequel NOT one of the Star Trek films ever reach $100 million at the box office... actually, I think Star Trek IV did... but you get my point. So instead of waiting 30 years to get an expanded treatment from an extremely popular film and franchise, Varese (who holds the licenese) has decided NOW to give us the complete release. I'm pretty sure fans of Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan would have liked for this to happen back in 1982. Look, If you don't like it, don't buy it.

BTW, does anyone remember when the LOST IN SPACE film came out and TVT Records release roughly 30 minutes of Broughton score. Well, fans wanted more and I'm pretty sure within a few monthly Intrada gave the fans what they wanted and released the complete score. Did any of you bitch back then?

-Erik-

PS - Star Trek 6 is the third best Star Trek score behind Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek II.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    What a fucking...
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … 410%2D1108

What a wasted batch. Shit -- not even a batch.

fucking waste of money, come on, why didn't they release this in the first place? Ah because everyone would buy the one CD first, and then one year later this double disc as everybody is a Giacchino fan. This is a shameful act of Varese.

While it's great people will get now what they finally begged for, I don't care about this commercial stunt whatsoever angry

You said it! They are giving the people EXACTLY what they wanted. I don't think Varese or Giacchino for that matter knew how big the new Star Trek was going to be. Up until the Star Trek prequel NOT one of the Star Trek films ever reach $100 million at the box office... actually, I think Star Trek IV did... but you get my point. So instead of waiting 30 years to get an expanded treatment from an extremely popular film and franchise, Varese (who holds the licenese) has decided NOW to give us the complete release. I'm pretty sure fans of Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan would have liked for this to happen back in 1982. Look, If you don't like it, don't buy it.

BTW, does anyone remember when the LOST IN SPACE film came out and TVT Records release roughly 30 minutes of Broughton score. Well, fans wanted more and I'm pretty sure within a few monthly Intrada gave the fans what they wanted and released the complete score. Did any of you bitch back then?

-Erik-

PS - Star Trek 6 is the third best Star Trek score behind Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek II.

I didn't bitch because I never heard the 30 minute score wink
    I bitch because this is insane, it's like AVATAR without the extras, and AVATAR with the extra's
    come on, of course people will buy it, but this is commercial exaggeration
    but for me there's still a difference with a full enough score (like Star Trek had) or an average representation (like Lost in Space initially had)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sure they're giving fans what they want. But if you're a fan then you already have the previous release. Putting the 2cd release so soon will make them double dip and think twice before buying it ($30!!!). Like fommes mentioned earlier, they could have released a More Music from Star Trek album and filled in the gap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well, I love this release, but it's really 37$ (2$ extra because of the design, I'm sure), plus additional shipping. Rather on the overexpensive side for non-Americans. So yeah, a Volume 2 would have been equally great. Or at least a non-Deluxe release.

(But that's STILL cheaper than ordering from Colosseum, of course biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    Well, what a description for the up-coming 1'000th release of Robert Townson:

"Never has there been as elaborate a production of a single film score in all of film music history."

Hmm... with the massiv "complete recordings" of "The Lord of the Rings", soon to be accompagnied by a 400+ page book by Doug Adams and a 23-track "archive score"-edition, this is quite a statement...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    What's the "archive score" edition exactly?

I won't hold my breath of the Varese release as it's hardly going to be the greatest soundtrack release ever.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Anthony wrote

This CD includes 23 unused and alternat tracks and also early ideas, that were not used in the final score. Definitely something for the die hard fans but still an interesting addition to the comprehensive "complete recordings" releases.

I won't hold my breath of the Varese release as it's hardly going to be the greatest soundtrack release ever.

Me neither, but still... keeps me intrigued... wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BasilB wrote
    Anthony wrote

This CD includes 23 unused and alternat tracks and also early ideas, that were not used in the final score. Definitely something for the die hard fans but still an interesting addition to the comprehensive "complete recordings" releases.

Is that with the book or will be a separate CD?
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Anthony wrote
    BasilB wrote
    Anthony wrote

Is that with the book or will be a separate CD?

With the book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BasilB wrote
    Well, what a description for the up-coming 1'000th release of Robert Townson:

"Never has there been as elaborate a production of a single film score in all of film music history."

Hmm... with the massiv "complete recordings" of "The Lord of the Rings", soon to be accompagnied by a 400+ page book by Doug Adams and a 23-track "archive score"-edition, this is quite a statement...

No kidding. I love Varese and most everything they do but there PR is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top! If this is indeed Spartacus they are going to have to release something very, very special that's going to beat the likes of Rhino's Ben-Hur, Arista's Star Wars Anthology, The Lord of the Rings Complete (as mentioned above), FSM's Bernstein and Superman Boxes, etc. Another bare bones Star Trek Deluxe like release will not be acceptable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BasilB wrote

Do I undestand it correctly? ANOTHER release of 'The Lord of the Rings'? slant Wasn't all the music already in the 50 hours previous CDs?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not the first time they employ ridiculously over-the-top taglines.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    BasilB wrote

Do I undestand it correctly? ANOTHER release of 'The Lord of the Rings'? slant Wasn't all the music already in the 50 hours previous CDs?

It's going to be full of alternates, unused cues, demos, etc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    VS+PR=more sales. they get an A
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    BasilB wrote

-Erik-

My god sleep sleep sleep sleep

Is it just me or with LOTR they are milking the cow to a ridiculous extreme? I mean, there are complete releases of the three scores. What else is left to hear?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    BasilB wrote

-Erik-

uhm

Derp!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    BasilB wrote

-Erik-

uhm

Derp!

That's why it's a collectors edition. Not everyone is going to want this but hard core fans of the score and film will. If they did this with Star Wars or Indiana Jones I'd be first in line!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thing is I love Shore's trilogy as much as the two Williams ones... but I'm certainly not on the look out for every note ever recorded!

I wonder how big (or small) the market is for this? Is it limited to 1000?
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Steven wrote
    Thing is I love Shore's trilogy as much as the two Williams ones... but I'm certainly not on the look out for every note ever recorded!

Definitely not. And I'm quite sure, there are going to be more sells than expected. With all the concerts and festivals with this music, there are a lot of events, where fans of the music will stand in line for this book all over the world. We're not talking 40-page liner notes here. This is going to be a 400+ pages book with a hugh amount of score sheets reprints and commentaries by Adams and Shore. The book is in the making since about three to four years. Alan Howe et al. have done new drawings and worte pre-faces and epiloges and so an.... a fan thing for sure, but what kind of!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Indeed - the CD is a mere 'bonus disc' to the book. I'm sure it's got a pretty big market, and as there are dozens of Star Wars releases, it's nothing new. As a fan of film and score, I'm looking out for this, but won't buy it straight away. As the liner notes to the complete recordings are very exhaustive I'm not sure if the book adds enough that holds my interest. But it's great this will exist for those who want it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yawn
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. BasilB wrote
    Steven wrote

Definitely not. And I'm quite sure, there are going to be more sells than expected. With all the concerts and festivals with this music, there are a lot of events, where fans of the music will stand in line for this book all over the world. We're not talking 40-page liner notes here. This is going to be a 400+ pages book with a hugh amount of score sheets reprints and commentaries by Adams and Shore. The book is in the making since about three to four years. Alan Howe et al. have done new drawings and worte pre-faces and epiloges and so an.... a fan thing for sure, but what kind of!

For me, the additional CD is a bit too much. I've not even listened to the complete CDs yet! It's the book that's the interesting thing here. I could do without the bonus CD. But I'll take it if it is going!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I for one wouldn't be interested.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've never heard Spartastic either.
  4. "Love Theme":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6e8-94JRE

Random score cue:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENqcaaEPDXw
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Want. But if it's fifty years old I think I may prefer a rerecording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Want. But if it's fifty years old I think I may prefer a rerecording.

I'm sure they are going to do a bang up job on the remastering! Spartacus is an essential score for ANY film music fan!

-Erik-