• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    No worries.

So you were right, right?
  1. What a fucking...
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … 410%2D1108

What a wasted batch. Shit -- not even a batch.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Wow. Really? Was that what all the hype was about?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Well, that's great!
    I've always wanted an expanded release of this score! The Main Title with choir shall rock on!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah..because no one wanted Star Trek, Justin. rolleyes
  3. Did anyone else think:

"Yes, a complete release of Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture!!....crap, it's Giacchino's very recent release, expanding on an alreadily adequate release."

A nod to Varese for pandering to the clamour for an expanded release of this but it's a bit of a hype-up by them. And is it a Club release?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Not the slightest interest in Star Trek DE. I mean where did this come from? The movie was released only one year ago? confused

I'm with Alan, the original release is more than enough for me. But it's good for those wanting double the amount of the theme... I mean motif.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think it's still wanted, but lots of people feel it's a letdown because someone mentioned Spartacus. (Who did, btw?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010 edited
    10 COMMANDMENTS is a great Bernstein score that I play quite often (love the "English-ness" of it), but the existing MCA release is more than fine enough.

STAR TREK was just....ridiculous.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So people are clamoring for a complete release since the original soundtrack comes out, and now it's here lots of people are complaining it isn't Spartacus. Great... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    So people are clamoring for a complete release since the original soundtrack comes out, and now it's here lots of people are complaining it isn't Spartacus. Great... rolleyes

For my own part, I have no clamoring for a SPARTACUS (unlike 99% of everyone else, I know). I think the existing MCA release is fine. However, I do clamor for more completely unreleased items.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    I think it's still wanted, but lots of people feel it's a letdown because someone mentioned Spartacus. (Who did, btw?)

I mentioned Spartacus!

No, seriously, how do these rumours get started?
    How did this suddenly get to be a "dead given", rather than the completely out-of-the-blue, extremely wild guess by some overenthusiastic fan boy it really was?

Thor wrote
    10 COMMANDMENTS is a great Bernstein score that I play quite often (love the "English-ness" of it), but the existing MCA release is more than fine enough.

In scope of material presented, sure. But I'd certainly love to have a remastered one!
    It's yet another of the few CDs I have where the sound quality is actually diminishing my enjoyment of this magnificent score a bit!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. For me, it isn't the disappointment of not having the Spartacus announcement: I think Varese amended their own pre-release hype by saying that the release would be a 2-CD set rather than the expected 3-CD Spartacus set. So, Spartacus was taken out of the equation for this release.

There's a disappointment that it's a club release of a title that was only made available in a general release form a year ago. I probably would not have gone for the original release had I known that this 2-CD version was in the works (maybe Varese themselves did not realise that they'd be doing this back then). Also, there's several Giacchino titles that aren't readily available at the moment that would have had the "special" feel that should be there for a Varese Club release.

I wouldn't like the situation to be the norm where I'm wondering if a release today is going to be replaced by an expanded release a couple of months down the line.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Semper Fi, Sky High, Alias Seasons 3-5 and Call Of Duty Finest Hour are the top MG scores of past that deserve to be released. But let's be honest - Star Trek will sell more than any of those.

My only concern is Star Trek was the #1 selling album on iTunes, so restricting the complete score to CD is a little...interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well, count me excited. Great that they've finally started releasing C&C editions of scores soon after the regular release instead of releasing them MORE THAN TWENTY-FIVE YEARS later. Ordered, of course.
    Only disappointment is that it's a Deluxe release. Much too expensive. (A Volume 2 release might have sufficed, even.)
  6. Anthony wrote
    Semper Fi, Sky High, Alias Seasons 3-5 and Call Of Duty Finest Hour are the top MG scores of past that deserve to be released. But let's be honest - Star Trek will sell more than any of those.

It will probably sell very well indeed. But, Varese have gained more in the long run by committing to a series of Giacchino's currently-unavailable titles such as the ones you mentioned - in my opinion anyway.
  7. fommes wrote
    Well, count me excited. Great that they've finally started releasing C&C editions of scores soon after the regular release instead of releasing them MORE THAN TWENTY-FIVE YEARS later.

For someone brought up in an environment where you had to wait tens of years for an expanded release I'm disappointed with this "must have it now" mentality.

The wait of many years allows there to be a cooling off period where scores can be better assessed as to their quality. Currently, Giacchino's score is still in the middle of the hype. I'm not sure if, 10-20 years down the line, it will be seen as a "classic" or just very good.
  8. Looking at the new artwork, is the orientation of the artwork landscape rather than portrait?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Talk about making it difficult. I've been trying to decide what artwork to use on the website, and I can't for the life of me figure out how it will be presented.

I've settled on the original OST cover

http://www.michaelgiacchinomusic.com/di … deluxe.htm

But I think the Varese artwork above will be flipped 90 degrees CCW based on the dimensions, so like a sideways film case.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Varese is gearing up for the Ubeda festival... obviously... the Lennerts debut, the Dave Grusin Club Realise, the Delux version of Star Trek. Well, no problem with that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very disappointing releases for me but on the other hand I'm glad, it just means I don't have to fork out more money.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Indeed. A penny saved... (I never even make it through the short album!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    fommes wrote
    Well, count me excited. Great that they've finally started releasing C&C editions of scores soon after the regular release instead of releasing them MORE THAN TWENTY-FIVE YEARS later.

For someone brought up in an environment where you had to wait tens of years for an expanded release I'm disappointed with this "must have it now" mentality.

The wait of many years allows there to be a cooling off period where scores can be better assessed as to their quality. Currently, Giacchino's score is still in the middle of the hype. I'm not sure if, 10-20 years down the line, it will be seen as a "classic" or just very good.

Well, for one thing, I've had my share of waiting for decades for some stuff and for another, I think I can say of myself that I'm very patient, having enough CDs to enjoy during the wait.
    But I really don't see what is wrong with expanding it sooner rather than later? It's still an expansion, meaning one also gets the album release with the Thorry listening experience. Also, I'd rather have a chance to listen to it before I go into purgatory.

Moreover, I'd say the hype is pretty much over; and while it's not a classic score, indeed, it is a very good one, and probably the most enjoyable one since Search for Spock.
    Also, there are a great many expansions nowadays of CDs of more than twenty years ago that probably don't even belong in the category "very good".

I don't see the problem. It's just good to see that there's also some attention being given to newcomers or recent scores now and then, next to the huge, often exclusive, attention to the favourites of the handful of expanded soundtrack album producers.
  10. justin boggan wrote
    What a fucking...
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. … 410%2D1108

What a wasted batch. Shit -- not even a batch.

fucking waste of money, come on, why didn't they release this in the first place? Ah because everyone would buy the one CD first, and then one year later this double disc as everybody is a Giacchino fan. This is a shameful act of Varese.

While it's great people will get now what they finally begged for, I don't care about this commercial stunt whatsoever angry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. fommes wrote

Moreover, I'd say the hype is pretty much over; and while it's not a classic score, indeed, it is a very good one, and probably the most enjoyable one since Search for Spock.

You forgot about Star Trek V and VIII. Some would add VI but not me. shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Raise your hand if you generally don't care for any type of these club releases? yay?? no one? :shrug:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Eidelman's VI is immensely underrated.
    It took a few listens from me (I started out quite underwhelmed) but I ended up really appreciating this work. It's powerful and thematic and really underscores what to all intents and purposes is the end of an era quite poignantly, without resorting to false sentimentalism.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Raise your hand if you generally don't care for any type of these club releases? yay?? no one? :shrug:

You're a very strange boy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You're a very strange boy.

lol

And yeah, Eidelman's score is absolutely superb punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Martijn wrote
    I think Eidelman's VI is immensely underrated.
    It took a few listens from me (I started out quite underwhelmed) but I ended up really appreciating this work. It's powerful and thematic and really underscores what to all intents and purposes is the end of an era quite poignantly, without resorting to false sentimentalism.

Really? I confess to not having listened to it more than two, three times. The overture is of course superb, but I remember not enjoying the rest of the score from those listens. Underwhelmed is the word here.

Time to (re)discover this country then. smile