• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad - Miklós Rózsa

I've been listening to this off-and-on for a few days now and there's a definite Oriental feel about this score. I can't help feel that it's a bit too Far Eastern for the locale where the movie's meant to be set? Wherever that was!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    Miya wrote
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

First listen. smile

Ooh it's a gooden. The first has one of the best themes in film history, yes, but I think the second score makes for a more satisfying album... plus it has the JP theme at the end - which is perfect.

I haven't heard/seen The Lost World... I must check it out! I love JP themes.

Is the film as good as the 1st?

NO!

It's Spielberg on auto-pilot.

It's still woth watching though, I mean, fer cripes sake....it's got DINOSAURS!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Maybe I'll watch the film someday, but I will get the score first biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Miya wrote

The score is FANTASTIC! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    Taking some time I managed to download these tracks from his website...

NP: Beverly Hills Chihuahua - Heitor Pereira

Nice fun score applause

I never expected this score could have such heroic cues and epic sounds!

Oh and I really love "barking chorus"! lol

Chee-wow-wa!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Lost World is one of the best scores by maestro Williams ever. But personally I am biased for the Jurassic Park score because it was my first JW score I got! wink biggrin

NP: Speed Racer - Michael Giacchino

This is a great example of the result when a composer pours his heart and soul into scoring a movie. Without doubt this is one of the best scores of last year, fun race cues and beautiful emotional material with choir! Love it love punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Lost World is one of the best scores by maestro Williams ever. But personally I am biased for the Jurassic Park score because it was my first JW score I got! wink biggrin

It's one of the greatest action scores composed in the 1990's. Full throttle awesomeness!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Rescuing Sarah is one of the most adrenaline-fueled action tracks I ever heard!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It's one of the greatest action scores composed in the 1990's. Full throttle awesomeness!!!

-Erik-

It's funny (or more like a crime from this talk I've just heard) but I've had The Lost World for ages and haven't given it much of a listen and have always went for the original. Perhaps because I thought the second film was purely awful, it was an unconscious 'wipe it from my memory move'. But I'm revisiting it, thanks to all your positive comments! I'm sure it's fantastic, I just haven't really given it a chance. Until now...smile
  3. NP: Cheri (Desplat)

Arrived with the composer's Coco from Colosseum yesterday. And loving it. The main waltz theme of 'Rose Acacia' and 'Flower Tunnel' is gorgeous - haunted and romantic like so many an old movie love theme. The reprise at the end of 'An Old Woman' summoned to mind the closing images of Scorsese's beautiful THE AGE OF INNOCENCE. For melody, think of something like Umebayashi's 'Polonaisse' from 2046.

Another motif reminds me of the 'Mr Nygma's Dance Card' variations on the Goldenthal BATMAN FOREVER theme. That's a very specific reference, I know. Those who know that score well will doubtless spend a little while wonder where they've heard one particular chord progression before.

Electronics play a surprising part in the score (a period film). One could expect a cue like 'All goes well with the world' or 'Return Home' (except for the use of the waltz melody as a brass fanfare) to sit without much adjustment in a modern film like SYRIANA. But somehow it all fits together.

The big setpiece cue of the album - the 'Water Wheel' (for PAINTED VEIL fans) is 'The Wedding'. Many of the themes play a part in this extended piece, which I'm really looking forward to seeing on screen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Cheri (Desplat)

Arrived with the composer's Coco from Colosseum yesterday. And loving it. The main waltz theme of 'Rose Acacia' and 'Flower Tunnel' is gorgeous - haunted and romantic like so many an old movie love theme. The reprise at the end of 'An Old Woman' summoned to mind the closing images of Scorsese's beautiful THE AGE OF INNOCENCE. For melody, think of something like Umebayashi's 'Polonaisse' from 2046.

Another motif reminds me of the 'Mr Nygma's Dance Card' variations on the Goldenthal BATMAN FOREVER theme. That's a very specific reference, I know. Those who know that score well will doubtless spend a little while wonder where they've heard one particular chord progression before.

Electronics play a surprising part in the score (a period film). One could expect a cue like 'All goes well with the world' or 'Return Home' (except for the use of the waltz melody as a brass fanfare) to sit without much adjustment in a modern film like SYRIANA. But somehow it all fits together.

The big setpiece cue of the album - the 'Water Wheel' (for PAINTED VEIL fans) is 'The Wedding'. Many of the themes play a part in this extended piece, which I'm really looking forward to seeing on screen.

Absolutely stunning entries for Desplat's already impressive resume; it's really intriguing how he manages to refresh his sound each and every time with small tricks and changes but by always maintaining melody and high levels of musicianship. Thanks for sharing your thoughts smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. NP: BRIGHT ANGEL -- Christopher Young

Quite lovely score, lots of woodwinds, lots of tender scoring, lots of soft melodies
    Nice background score smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Timmer wrote
    Miya wrote
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

First listen. smile

Ooh it's a gooden. The first has one of the best themes in film history, yes, but I think the second score makes for a more satisfying album... plus it has the JP theme at the end - which is perfect.

I haven't heard/seen The Lost World... I must check it out! I love JP themes.

Is the film as good as the 1st?

NO!

It's Spielberg on auto-pilot.

It's still woth watching though, I mean, fer cripes sake....it's got DINOSAURS!!!

I think the movie is great, a true rollercoaster ride like Indy 4 should have been. And put this baby loud on a home cinema and you're in for a real treat. Two T-Rexes growling and stomping around will shake the house literally. Great fun... even if the originality of the first is gone. And I love Jeff Goldblum's character.

The score helps tremendously in making it fun and tense. This must be one of Williams most suspense-filled action scores of the 90s.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Complete Recordings (Howard Shore)

2nd disc. It starts of very good but a lot of it goes by with me hardly raising my head as the disc goes by. Completeness isn't always better, and underscore isn't always the best when taken out of the context of the film. Let's see if disc 3 will be better, from what I gather from the track names it'll be the most action-filled.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The third and fourth discs have the most musically stunning moments of the whole trilogy IMO! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    The third and fourth discs have the most musically stunning moments of the whole trilogy IMO! wink

Yeap!!! i have he thrid disc in my mp3.

NP:United 93.

"phone calls" is really impressive.
  6. DemonStar wrote

Ok, thanks for making me salivate with anticipation. Will check 'em out later.

Dark City expanded (Trevor Jones)

Or how dark and light come together in the most fantastic way. This score has one of the most astonishing finales Trevor Jones has written. But I equally love the action music and calmer cues, I always found that Jones could write interesting underscore and this one is no different. The themes are strong and appropriately dark and it all culminates in a gloriously emotional finale that always sends shivers down my spine. Wonderful score, though the regular album version already has all the best music on it.

And there ain't NO TECHNO on this... dizzy tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Dinosaur - James Newton Howard

Has been a lot of time since I last played this, got the brutal urge today! biggrin

One thing I really love about this score is both how beautifully it fits the visuals and how great it sounds on CD. Anyone who has seen the movie can probably agree that The Egg Travels has the right amount of both majesty and somberness in it, enough to enhance the already stunning visuals and yet not overpower them; enough to have a significant part of your attention towards itself but not to draw it away from the movie. Amazing performance by the orchestra too. The same can be said about tracks like The Cave (truly beautiful emotional material), Aladar & Neera (gorgeous love theme), Raptors/Stand Together (terrific pecussion and brass based action music) and the powerful Breakout, which shivered me timbers when I listened to it in movie alongside the visuals. And the fun ethnic African music in The Courtship and It Comes With A Pool is great, as is the grand finale in Epilogue.

I am looking forward to get my CD signed by JNH someday! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Miya wrote

One of the worst films of the Sinbad series. The 7th Voyage is much better.

I'm listening to something I have no clue about. It is a film called Don McKay with music by Steve Bramson. Some sort of independent film which will be shown in the Tribeca Film Festival. Wish I could see the film.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya was referring to the Lost World film, Tom. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

So bloody simple yet incredibly effective. I love the theme even though it probably the most simplistic of all the Trek themes... minus Giacchino's which I think is the most simplistic of them all .

I love the angelic Nexus music. The music gives the Nexus life.

The "Jumping The Ravine" and "Two Captains" music is about as perfect as you can get musically to represent the meeting of the two greatest Starship captains. McCarthy provides a nice counterpoint between his theme and Courage fanfare as we say so long to Captain Kirk during "Kirk's Death." And I really enjoy the action material even though it too is incredibly simple but it has a pulse and is quite effective in the movie.

The album, if I can recall, is in chronological order with the exception of the End Credits which opens up the album. It was a wise decision to open up the album this way to introduce the listener to the major themes before getting into the score proper.

I think this is the one Star Trek score the divides Trek and film music fans the most. You either love it or hate it. But open your mind to this one and I think you will find that it is a worthy entry in the Star Trek film music universe.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Lost World is another story, sorry shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

So bloody simple yet incredibly effective. I love the theme even though it probably the most simplistic of all the Trek themes... minus Giacchino's which I think is the most simplistic of them all .

I love the angelic Nexus music. The music gives the Nexus life.

The "Jumping The Ravine" and "Two Captains" music is about as perfect as you can get musically to represent the meeting of the two greatest Starship captains. McCarthy provides a nice counterpoint between his theme and Courage fanfare as we say so long to Captain Kirk during "Kirk's Death." And I really enjoy the action material even though it too is incredibly simple but it has a pulse and is quite effective in the movie.

The album, if I can recall, is in chronological order with the exception of the End Credits which opens up the album. It was a wise decision to open up the album this way to introduce the listener to the major themes before getting into the score proper.

I think this is the one Star Trek score the divides Trek and film music fans the most. You either love it or hate it. But open your mind to this one and I think you will find that it is a worthy entry in the Star Trek film music universe.

-Erik-

I think this is one of those unfortunate scores whose problem is simply that it suffers in comparison. I neither love it nor hate it - it's really pretty good - the problem is, it's hard not to compare it with all the ones around it and it doesn't fare too well in that comparison. On its own terms, it's good - way beyond anything McCarthy did for the tv shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Master of the World, the OST material which I'll compare to the lp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote

What?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - Jerry Goldsmith

Superb!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

What?

Master of The World, the OST which he'll compare to the lp.

Crystal clear is it not!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, sorry. I read it as '..for lp.' dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Leonard Rosenman

Not as bad as I remembered. The comedic action cues are not HORRIBLE but not the best Trek cues I've ever heard. "Chekov's Run" is the better of the two. I can't stand "Hospital Chase." However, cues like "The Whalers" - "Crash-Whale Fugue" and "Home Again: End Credits" are superb! I like Rosenman's playful and adventurous main theme which of course resembles his theme from The Lord of the Rings but unfortunately only appears at the beginning and end of the album. Again, not a bad score at all. It fit the tone of the film like a glove and Rosenman was rewarded with an Academy Award nomination for his efforts.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote

What?

The new release from Intrada has some material from the original soundtrack as well as the re-recording. There isn't a lot of new material except for the vocal which doesn't appear on the lp.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek: First Contact - Jerry and Joel Goldsmith

Another fine Star Trek effort from Maestro Goldsmith with assistance from his son who wrote one of the very best cues in the film - "The Flight of the Phoenix." I love, love, LOVE this score.

-Erik-