• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    The sound of the ost material is superior to the record which sounds a bit distant from the mike and the high end seems to be lacking, exactly like my lp
    listen to more classical music!
  1. NP: CROSSING OVER -- Mark Isham

Why am I listening to this one? Oh yeah, because I have to review it confused
    Not bad, but nothing lingers behind
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    NP : THREE DECADES OF TV THEMES - Paul Lewis

This is TV scoring quality of the very finest pedigree. My favourites on here are the darkly ethereal choral / orchestral The Dark Angel and the suite from Arthur of The Britons which sounds far more refined on this recording compared to the original which had a much more "raw" sound but it's still excellent nevertheless.

Unfortunately it doesn't contain ELMER BERNSTEIN'S main theme which is a real shame as there is no recording available of it anywhere!? slant

You can listen to it HERE ....31 second themes don't get much better than this! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    haven't heard of either
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: V for Vendetta ~ Dario Marianelli
    Remember, remember... one of the most uplifting scores, on e of my favourite momments in English history!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    The third and fourth discs have the most musically stunning moments of the whole trilogy IMO! wink

Yeap!!! i have he thrid disc in my mp3.

NP:United 93.

"phone calls" is really impressive.

The whole score is a big achievement imo; especially when experienced within the very strong movie it accompanies.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Remember, remember... one of the most uplifting scores, on e of my favourite momments in English history!

Such a brilliant movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: CROSSING OVER -- Mark Isham

How is it like? I often myself intrigued in Isham's moody and melancholic electronic soundscapes.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Such a brilliant movie!

yep one of the most powerful movies ever made
    And what a score smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Such a brilliant movie!

A top 100 of all time?
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: CROSSING OVER -- Mark Isham

How is it like? I often myself intrigued in Isham's moody and melancholic electronic soundscapes.

Well the ambient soundscape is there, but not enough to call it that. And the guitar and piano are ample on board. There are some vocal effects, but nothing stings out. There is one track that recaptures that Crash magic and the final track is kinda nice, but I'm not going to sit through 40 minutes of effective yet unmemorable music to hear these 2 tracks

5 to 10 minutes was enough
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Such a brilliant movie!

A top 100 of all time?

I can't really say. There are so many brialliant movies oute there and many more to come. I will discuss it with you in a few years. We'll still be here anyway! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Such a brilliant movie!

A top 100 of all time?

It is definitely in the top 50
    perhaps even 30
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Such a brilliant movie!

A top 100 of all time?

perhaps even 30

shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. The Abyss (Alan Silvestri)

As a film, definitely in my top 30... I just love this Cameron spectacle, an underwater sci-fi adventure full of excitement and emotional undertones.

As for the music, one of Silvestri's best. Never again has he scored awe and wonder for the unknown so elegantly. The action material I'm particularly fond of (The Crane, Sub Battle) I'm in the mood for glorious climaxes today, so it's only natural I play this, one of the oldest scores I have in my collection. Hey, if Horner's contribution to AVATAR should be rejected (I shudder to think), Silvestri definitely should write a replacement score. I'd love to hear him score another Cameron project.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Such a brilliant movie!

A top 100 of all time?

perhaps even 30

Ha, fair enough. It's good, but not that good.

Btw, I absolutely love the score. My favourite Marianelli score thus far by far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote

confused
    Why?

I always found the Gunpowder Plot a very silly one indeed (and I frown on religiously motivated murder ploys as a a matter of default). The plot always seemed to me more revenge motivated than anything else as any chance of a Catholic ascendancy without support from Spain (which was way too pre-occupied elsewhere to help) seems highly implausible.

I'm pretty sure the Jesuits were supporting this as a Hammer of God rather than a political opportunity. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote

confused
    Why?

I always found the Gunpowder Plot a very silly one indeed (and I frown on religiously motivated murder ploys as a a matter of default). The plot always seemed to me more revenge motivated than anything else as any chance of a Catholic ascendancy without support from Spain (which was way too pre-occupied elsewhere to help) seems highly implausible.

I'm pretty sure the Jesuits were supporting this as a Hammer of God rather than a political opportunity. slant

This the logic Martijn my dear. But in order to justify my liking of this event I quote the very first lines of the film:
    "Remember, remember, the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot. I know of no reason why the Gunpowder Treason should ever be forgot... But what of the man? I know his name was Guy Fawkes and I know, in 1605, he attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament. But who was he really? What was he like? We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world. I've witnessed first hand the power of ideas, I've seen people kill in the name of them, and die defending them... but you cannot kiss an idea, cannot touch it, or hold it... ideas do not bleed, they do not feel pain, they do not love... And it is not an idea that I miss, it is a man... A man that made me remember the Fifth of November. A man that I will never forget."
    See? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But the man was just a mercenary, having done explosives and some mediocre sergeanting for the Spanish. slant
    So basically we're asked to remember what amounts to a bounty hunter, or -failing that- the idea which he stood for, which was basically "revenge is good, blowing things up even better".

Incidentally: the idea didn't change the world, but set Catholic emancipation in the UK -already at an all-time low since 1604- back for two hundred years!

I remain generally unimpressed. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    But the man was just a mercenary, having done explosives and some mediocre sergeanting for the Spanish. slant
    So basically we're asked to remember what amounts to a bounty hunter, or -failing that- the idea which he stood for, which was basically "revenge is good, blowing things up even better".

Incidentally: the idea didn't change the world, but set Catholic emancipation in the UK -already at an all-time low since 1604- back for two hundred years!

GOOD GOD MAN!!! Forget logic for a second!! No politics, no history just emotion!!!!
    I'm not talking from a historical point of view. I don;t see it like this right now. I see it as a dare!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Such a brilliant movie!

A top 100 of all time?

Of the last 101 films I've seen, I doubt it would make the top 100.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    GOOD GOD MAN!!! Forget logic for a second!! No politics, no history just emotion!!!!
    I'm not talking from a historical point of view. I don;t see it like this right now. I see it as a dare!

Emotion? But that seems... illogical, captain.
    I mean, ma'am.

But OK.
    I'll try.

kill BURN the bastard! angry Annihilate his progeny and make sure that no religiously motivated poophead ever tries something even remotely connected to maybe considering picking up a match ever again! crazy

My.

That WAS rather cathartic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'm very much with Martijn on this one. I can appreciate the appeal of the emotional side of the whole event, but it's hard to separate it from the truth and circumstances of the event. At least for me it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Oooookkk! To put the record straight. I didn't say I disagree with you. I just don't consider it right no. Get it? [spoiler]Reminder: Don't open such a discussion again! [/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can't believe I'm doing this to myself but in all fairness I have to include this one on my up coming Star Trek tribute program so I'm now spinning...

NP: Star Trek: Nemesis - Jerry Goldsmith

I really like Remus' theme but that's about it. I can't stand the "stripped down 90's action sound" of the action material and the end credits has to be one of the most lazy readings of Goldsmith's Star Trek theme I've ever heard! Augh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    [spoiler]Reminder: Don't open such a discussion again! [/spoiler]

biggrin

I do so enjoy a bit of needling now and again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I can't believe I'm doing this to myself but in all fairness I have to include this one on my up coming Star Trek tribute program

Why?
    confused

It's your show.
    Why not just say you hate it and be done with it and move on to the next (good!) track? Seriously?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    P.s. Time to bring back the TRAVELERS TALES thread....I wanna know about your adventures in Tunisia.

ARRRGGGHHH! It's ME twice dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I can't believe I'm doing this to myself but in all fairness I have to include this one on my up coming Star Trek tribute program

Why?
    confused

It's your show.
    Why not just say you hate it and be done with it and move on to the next (good!) track? Seriously?

You haven't read the backlash at FSM over skipping Insurrection and Nemesis on the FSM podcast have you? Yeah... I would like to avoid that.

Anyway, I want to be fair to the fans of the score and to those who might not have heard Insurrection or Nemesis. Who knows maybe some one will hear it for the first time on my show, like it and then go buy it. That the whole purpose of my program. If that happens then I've done my job - I have to promote film music whether I like the score or not. However, there have been a few times where I have refused to play a score because it was down right dreadful... IRON MAN anyone. I didn't want to give that pile of crap ANY free publicity in the hopes that it would suffer a slow and painful death!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!