• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009 edited
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Central Park and Beauty Killed The Beast IV never fail to shiver me timbers everytime I listen to the album. They complement the onscreen visuals, the relationship between the characters, so well that the music literally sucks you into the movie's world and enhances the emotion tenfold. Hats off to JNH on this one, absolutely love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    U.S. Marshals (Jerry Goldsmith)

From 'Hero' to this one, talk about a shift in style, but what Goldsmith does here is what most composers these days cannot do anymore, that is: entertain you senseless !!!! Originality is non-existent, and Jerry basically uses one theme throughout the entire 30 minutes, but the way he uses it in suspense- and action-cues is commendable. I love the relentless rhythm in some of the cues, which is why I'm such a Goldsmith fanatic, his talent for creating tension is something you just don't hear anymore. I give this 3 out of 5, but I cannot help but feel totally entertained by it... YEEAHHH !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

Central Park and Beauty Killed The Beast IV never fail to shiver me timbers everytime I listen to the album. They complement the onscreen visuals, the relationship between the characters, so well that the music literally sucks you into the movie's world and enhances the emotion tenfold. Hats off to JNH on this one, absolutely love it.

Absolutely agree; some very fine music in there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I was playing Star Trek: The Motion Picture earlier - easily the best score of the franchise - and after seeing the film again last night it really works its magic in the movie. The epic Vejur Fly Over sequence ("The Cloud" and "Vejur Flyover" on the OST) is really something to see and hear. There is no way an effects shot like that would ever get produce in a film these days. And Spock's Space Walk is a visual wonder! While the film's characters (including the main characters) are incredibly flat I love looking at and listening to this movie!

NP: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - James Horner-

The second best Trek score... and it's only misses the top spot because you just can't dethrone Goldsmith's greatest accomplishment. There is nothing more to say about this masterwork that hasn't been said before. Horner's contributions to this franchise are nothing short of remarkable!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I was playing Star Trek: The Motion Picture earlier - easily the best score of the franchise - and after seeing the film again last night it really works its magic in the movie. The epic Vejur Fly Over sequence ("The Cloud" and "Vejur Flyover" on the OST) is really something to see and hear. There is no way an effects shot like that would ever get produce in a film these days. And Spock's Space Walk is a visual wonder! While the film's characters (including the main characters) are incredibly flat I love looking at and listening to this movie!

The second best Trek score... and it's only misses the top spot because you just can't dethrone Goldsmith's greatest accomplishment. There is nothing more to say about this masterwork that hasn't been said before. Horner's contributions to this franchise are nothing short of remarkable!

-Erik-

There's only a small handful of scores that can live with those two fantastic works. cool

And this is NOT one of them...

NP : THE AVENGERS - Joel McNeely

But it's still very good, far farrrrr better than what this film deserved and that theme....most excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    franz_conrad wrote
    There are none truly like the more involved parts of MAGNOLIA. Mostly his film work has had a more quirky / eccentric sound to it, with the texture more like instrumental pop than orchestral. I do quite like PUNCHDRUNK LOVE of the others, but it is - again - a very different sound to MAG.

Ah, thanks Michael. Nothing like Magnolia eh! I'll check out Punchdrunk Love sometime. I do recall you use a clip from it for one of the GTS games.

Recently played-

Stanislas Syrewicz - The Clandestine Marriage
    I've been trying to check out Syrewicz after I saw a low-budget remake of The Prince & The Pauper (Aidan Quinn) where his score was one of the high points of the film. Thanks to a fine gentleman in the UK I was able to get this cd smile. It's a nice score with choral work and some delicate, period-ish themes.

Michel Cusson - Seraphin: Un Homme Et Son Peche
    Wow! This one is a true beauty. Is Michel Cusson Canada's hidden talent? I'd think so. His score for Aurore is another pretty work. Thanks for recommending this Alan!

Francis Kuipers - Mary
    A blind purchase. The movie stars Juliette Binoche as Mary Magdalene. Biblical/religious/spiritual scores are my fave genre but this one is not enjoyable at all. It's bleak with guitars and some electronics. I couldn't listen beyond the first few tracks. Might have to try again next time.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Largo Winch - Alexandre Desplat

First listen. How could've I missed this? Listened to only 5 tracks so far and it's already growing on me. The string work in the "Largo Winch" track is especially great. Lea's theme is beautiful!

Indeed, how could you miss this one?

But take a look at my playlist here for an even better experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE AVENGERS - Joel McNeely

But it's still very good, far farrrrr better than what this film deserved and that theme....most excellent!

Oooooooh... I really like that one! The Flight of the Bumblebee's inspired "Flight of the Mechanical Bees" is superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    U.S. Marshals (Jerry Goldsmith)

From 'Hero' to this one, talk about a shift in style, but what Goldsmith does here is what most composers these days cannot do anymore, that is: entertain you senseless !!!! Originality is non-existent, and Jerry basically uses one theme throughout the entire 30 minutes, but the way he uses it in suspense- and action-cues is commendable. I love the relentless rhythm in some of the cues, which is why I'm such a Goldsmith fanatic, his talent for creating tension is something you just don't hear anymore. I give this 3 out of 5, but I cannot help but feel totally entertained by it... YEEAHHH !!! punk

it is indeed weird

What is an average inclusion of the maestro is actually a good inclusion if you consider what's written today by other composers. It is so simple and yet it works. At least it has a theme.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Moving on to the third best Trek score...

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Cliff Eidelman

Another ballsy choice of composer by director Nicholas Meyer. Eidelman wrote a superb opening cue that was like nothing the series had ever heard before. Eidelman's main theme is dynamite and compliments Courage's original fanfare nicely especially during the Send-Off cue and into the End Credits. Brilliant work by the young composer!

EDIT - Good fu_cking lord... I forgot out bloody impressive "The Battle for Peace" was! shocked

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That's one of my main reasons too to want to watch this one again and again, the score creates such an otherworldly atmosphere plus the fact the story is so full of mystery and exploring the unknown, the movie has gained my respect over the years. If a person cannot connect to the magic Goldsmith has written, this movie will do squat for him / her. Oh and it features Shatner and co and their ensemble chemistry, so that's always a bonus, even if the acting is cheesy or flat...

This should be quite the stunner on blu-ray, because it's easily the most visually interesting Trek of the series.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Complete Recordings (Howard Shore)

Just the first CD today. Will comment on it later if I'm up to it, it's such a mammoth work I should first get an overal impression.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    WP: NERAKHOON (THE BETRAYAL) - Howard Shore
    One of his less accessible scores, which could explain why this got overlooked while his inferior, yet more accessible and almost simultaneously released Doubt got all the attention. Nerakhoon is a carefully constructed, small scaled affair (chamber orchestra, small choir and cello solo's by Sophie Shao), without any lush thematics or melodies. It doesn't matter, though, since the tragic, brooding sound that is created gets under the skin and is at times utterly beautiful. Not something you'll instantly enjoy, but I've got a strong feeling that it's a grower. Certainly one of Shore's more interesting scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Doubt got what now?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Doubt got what now?

Award talk? Cries for a release? Sure, it wasn't much, but at least people talked about it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Amazing that this series got arguably Goldsmith's finest score and arguably Horner's (though from me, there's a bit less argument about Horner's - it IS his finest!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

Another ballsy choice of composer by director Nicholas Meyer. Eidelman wrote a superb opening cue that was like nothing the series had ever heard before. Eidelman's main theme is dynamite and compliments Courage's original fanfare nicely especially during the Send-Off cue and into the End Credits. Brilliant work by the young composer!

EDIT - Good fu_cking lord... I forgot out bloody impressive "The Battle for Peace" was! shocked

-Erik-

Can't agree with this though. I do like the score - a lot! - but "The Battle for Peace" is its limpest moment for me, a huge disappointment which seems a little amateurish in the film for me - the only moment which betrays Eidelman as a relative novice at the time. Otherwise, largely fantastic.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I was playing Star Trek: The Motion Picture earlier - easily the best score of the franchise - and after seeing the film again last night it really works its magic in the movie. The epic Vejur Fly Over sequence ("The Cloud" and "Vejur Flyover" on the OST) is really something to see and hear.

I have played that scene at times in class. Wonderful.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Can't agree with this though. I do like the score - a lot! - but "The Battle for Peace" is its limpest moment for me, a huge disappointment which seems a little amateurish in the film for me - the only moment which betrays Eidelman as a relative novice at the time. Otherwise, largely fantastic.

Wow! I have never read a negative reaction to that track. I think it's absolutely superb and really captures the tension and the excitement of the sequence perfectly.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I was playing Star Trek: The Motion Picture earlier - easily the best score of the franchise - and after seeing the film again last night it really works its magic in the movie. The epic Vejur Fly Over sequence ("The Cloud" and "Vejur Flyover" on the OST) is really something to see and hear.

Nearly a 2001 moment, it's not often a film gives the kind of canvas to a composer like ST:TMP does, though critics at the time dubbed this Star Trek The Motionless Picture we can be truly thankful that it was this inert fact about the film that enabled us to hear such magnificent composing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

punk beer

The overhead shot where the Enterprise looks like an ant compared to the size of Vejur is breathtaking! You just want to steal a line from Star Wars - "Look at the size of that thing!"

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Nearly a 2001 moment, it's not often a film gives the kind of canvas to a composer like ST:TMP does, though critics at the time dubbed this Star Trek The Motionless Picture we can be truly thankful that it was this inert fact about the film that enabled us to hear such magnificent composing.

2001 and Fantasia were the films that came to mind when revisiting that sequence. I LOVE IT!!!

-Erik-
  3. NP: My Best Friend's Wedding - James Newton Howard

My goodness, JNH is talented. He puts such life to this romantic comedy. *Sigh* That's when romantic comedies were good too. But I love the main theme in this one and the tenderness mixed with playfulness just reminds me of the bitter sweetness of the circumstances in the film (and some circumstances in life). It makes me smile ans sigh, because the music just, I don't know, seems to portray feelings that are more real.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

First listen. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote

First listen. smile

Ooh it's a gooden. The first has one of the best themes in film history, yes, but I think the second score makes for a more satisfying album... plus it has the JP theme at the end - which is perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Shrek - Harry Powell

The last night's talk about this made me play it this morning. It's a fun comedy score but has lots of beautiful moments.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

First listen. smile

Ooh it's a gooden. The first has one of the best themes in film history, yes, but I think the second score makes for a more satisfying album... plus it has the JP theme at the end - which is perfect.

I haven't heard/seen The Lost World... I must check it out! I love JP themes.

Is the film as good as the 1st?
  4. Miya wrote
    NP: Shrek - Harry Powell

The last night's talk about this made me play it this morning. It's a fun comedy score but has lots of beautiful moments.

This morning!!

I've still a night's sleep to look forward to. G'night! wave
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. She's in Japan, mind you smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    She's in Japan, mind you smile

I know but it's weird to think that some people are already well into my day to come! dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    Good morning and Good night at the same time biggrin