• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Star Trek III (Horner)

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty happy with the amount of score on the album.

Call me crazy, but I think Horner's first Trek score is far superior to his second. More energy, more sci-fi-swashbuckle and much more scoregasmic. Saying that, I do like adding 'Stealing The Enterprise' to the Wrath of Khan album just to make it last a little longer.

Crazy boy wave crazy

Now go play Katra Ritual & Return To Vulcan LOUD!!!!!!

Yeah, I agree they're both very good tracks (if a little... slow) - just not as good as 'Main Title', 'Surprise Attack', 'Kirk's Explosive Reply', 'Enterprise Clears Moorings', 'Battle in the Matura Nebula', 'Genesis Countdown' and 'Epilogue/End Title' from Star Trek II. wink

Star Trek II IS the better of the two scores but not by much IMO, Trek III is more of an extension of Trek II developing on the same themes ( minus Khan ), I can quite happily listen to one after the other. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Call me Ishmael, incidentally.
    Or call me in the morning if things don't get better after two aspirins.

After seeing your post in the James Horner thread I think you should be called 'The Observant One'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

I've now been sent two review copies of this album (perhaps one by Wendy and one by Lisa, though I doubt it) and have finally faced up to listening to it. Whereas in the show the music is completely anonymous, it makes for a surprisingly nice chilled-out album. The composers' rather high opinion of their own work in the liner notes is the highlight from an entertainment perspective, but the music is really not bad. It's impossible not to compare it with Lost and similarly impossible not to be very dismissive of it when doing so, but like I said, as a kind of chill-out instrumental album, it functions fairly well.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Now playing...something that isn't Star Trek related. Mission Impossible 3 actually...just because it's cool. cool
  1. Southall wrote
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

I've now been sent two review copies of this album (perhaps one by Wendy and one by Lisa, though I doubt it) and have finally faced up to listening to it. Whereas in the show the music is completely anonymous, it makes for a surprisingly nice chilled-out album. The composers' rather high opinion of their own work in the liner notes is the highlight from an entertainment perspective, but the music is really not bad. It's impossible not to compare it with Lost and similarly impossible not to be very dismissive of it when doing so, but like I said, as a kind of chill-out instrumental album, it functions fairly well.

hmn, I have seen the first 2 seasons, I know somewhat what to expect
    but I'm still curious how it will turn out on CD
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

In terms of making the best possible album from the source material, this album's producer should win an award. Combining cues from various episodes into suites related to each character was a very wise move.
  2. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

In terms of making the best possible album from the source material, this album's producer should win an award. Combining cues from various episodes into suites related to each character was a very wise move.

nice, I can understand how this can turn into a nice listening experience
    perhaps they should do the same thing for Airplane? smile
  3. NP: THE NIGHT AND THE MOMENT -- Ennio Morricone

At least the score opens lovely and playful smile
  4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Complete Recordings (Howard Shore)

3rd disc. My god this is excellent stuff. Basically all the battle music left from the regular album is here. It just doesn't let up. Shore truly excelled himself here with the choral tracks, but does it justify that the regular album was so butchered as it was? No because I cannot enjoy it as the masterpiece it's supposed to be. But luckily the complete restores that omission... punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Complete Recordings (Howard Shore)

3rd disc. My god this is excellent stuff. Basically all the battle music left from the regular album is here. It just doesn't let up. Shore truly excelled himself here with the choral tracks, but does it justify that the regular album was so butchered as it was? No because I cannot enjoy it as the masterpiece it's supposed to be. But luckily the complete restores that omission... punk

yep, it is frustrating to experience how much action music was left out on the original CD
    At least this third one shows Shore magic from start to finish smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Southall wrote
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

I enjoy it in a relaxing type of way. Some of the themes stand out in the show, but others aren't really noticeable at all. I like the Sylar music a lot.
  6. Southall wrote
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

I've listened to clips for this CD and overall I didn't like it. But what I did like was some of the music played in the cue "Sylar". But as this is only a small segment from one cue of the whole CD I'm just going to have to go without.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Complete Recordings (Howard Shore)

yep, it is frustrating to experience how much action music was left out on the original CD

It sure is magic!!

Playing 4th disc now and it's truly great, though I still miss a big climax such as in Two Towers (hey I'm a sucker for it), but I understand it's a more understated emotional finale as the film and story needed it. Needless to say, this complete edition is easily my favourite of the three. Should make one hell of a 2 disc album right Thomas? wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Should make one hell of a 2 disc album right Thomas? wink

oh you know it smile
  9. I'm guessing filled right up to the 80 minute mark !!! 2 of em !!! applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

I absolutely loathe the music as heard in the ever-underwhelming series that is the over-hyped Heroes. (But I am genuinely glad you've found something to enjoy from it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    Wendy & Lisa?
    In the eighties I was kinda sorta partial to Lisa, in a secretive, rather disturbing sorta way.

Though apparently both of 'em were doing Prince at the time, which wouldn't speak well of one's sanity.
    Or taste.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Heroes - Wendy and Lisa

I absolutely loathe the music as heard in the ever-underwhelming series that is the over-hyped Heroes. (But I am genuinely glad you've found something to enjoy from it.)

It's not the most over-hyped show on tv (which would be Lost); indeed, I can't remember the last time I either heard or read anyone say anything even vaguely positive about it.

To be honest, I've barely ever noticed any music in it. But where it fails as dramatic underscore, it's not all bad as an album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    There's a lot of hype for Heroes whenever I've read or watched anything about it (as in the way they 'big it up', not necessarily the amount of hype). I have noticed the music in it, but for the wrong reasons. Giacchino's music is noticeable for the right reasons.

Heroes has fantastic special effects and production values, but the writing is not very gripping.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009 edited
    Heroes is good, but Lost is better. Let it have hype. Lost deserves hype.

NP: Bedtime Stories - Rupert Gregson Williams

It's a short album, but it does a great job developing the main theme. I'm glad Rupert has been getting chances to be the main composer on several films within the last few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Exactly. Lost is hyped, no doubt it. But it's good. (Not as well-written as other shows out there, but still a fantastic show.)
  10. NP: Star Trek (Giacchino)

The really good...
    - 'Enterprising Young Men' (I wouldn't have minded more of this)
    - 'That New Car Smell'
    - End Credits (though like The Happening credits, it feels a bit stitched together from unused cues)

I'm not falling for the action music for the most part. Just doesn't grip me. Perhaps a bit like some (note: not all) of Williams latter-day action scoring, it works well enough if you know the scene it's fitted to, but on its own has less of a musical throughline.

Could have done without the brass (trombone?) glissando at the end of the first track.

It's definitely better than a lot of people would have done. But I can't say it makes Goldsmith's last score look particularly bad at this stage. (Where the strength WAS the action music.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Bolt - John Powell

So far, my only Powell score. shame But I love it. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Incredible Hulk (Armstrong)

In My first listen I tought it was a bad copy of Powell's Bourne scores.

Then I watched the movie (Wich I think it's great, far more enjoyable than Iron man) and I liked the music.

The love theme and Hulk's motif are great.

PS: And while the 2 cd presentation doesn't make a great listening experience, i think we have to celebrate this kind of realeases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Exactly. Lost is hyped, no doubt it. But it's good. (Not as well-written as other shows out there, but still a fantastic show.)

The problem with these serialised shows is that unless you really do have the whole thing mapped out from the start (and I know they all claim to, but I doubt they really do) then you end up writing yourself into holes which are very difficult to get out of. Lost has started explaining some of its convoluted coincidences by simply having more convoluted coincidences by way of "explanation", which is bad, but at least with that show there is a sense that it's moving towards somewhere which has been thought about. With Heroes, there isn't, so it's really hard to get motiviated to watch it. After the one remaining episode of season three, I'll probably call it quits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote

shocked

Wow. You've got some gems to discover in his filmography then. My advice? Get Chicken Run and Paycheck next. (Unless you mean it's the only solo Powell score you have, in which case you may already have Chicken Run?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    William wrote

shocked

Wow. You've got some gems to discover in his filmography then. My advice? Get Chicken Run and Paycheck next. (Unless you mean it's the only solo Powell score you have, in which case you may already have Chicken Run?)

and Agent cody banks, wich Bolt is his cousin score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

The problem with these serialised shows is that unless you really do have the whole thing mapped out from the start (and I know they all claim to, but I doubt they really do) then you end up writing yourself into holes which are very difficult to get out of. Lost has started explaining some of its convoluted coincidences by simply having more convoluted coincidences by way of "explanation", which is bad, but at least with that show there is a sense that it's moving towards somewhere which has been thought about. With Heroes, there isn't, so it's really hard to get motiviated to watch it. After the one remaining episode of season three, I'll probably call it quits.

I must admit, I am coming around to your way of thinking regarding its writing. It's not that great, but I guess that's not what I like about it. It's the charm of Lost that I enjoy, something Heroes severely lacks IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Star Trek (Giacchino)

The really good...
    - 'Enterprising Young Men' (I wouldn't have minded more of this)
    - 'That New Car Smell'
    - End Credits (though like The Happening credits, it feels a bit stitched together from unused cues)

I'm not falling for the action music for the most part. Just doesn't grip me. Perhaps a bit like some (note: not all) of Williams latter-day action scoring, it works well enough if you know the scene it's fitted to, but on its own has less of a musical throughline.

Could have done with the brass (trombone?) glissando at the end of the first track.

It's definitely better than a lot of people would have done. But I can't say it makes Goldsmith's last score look particularly bad at this stage. (Where the strength WAS the action music.)

Pretty much agree with you there. I'm not too keen on Courage's theme being reused though, it just sounds.... dated. (To my ears at least.) I'd much rather have heard Goldsmith's theme, regardless of whether it made sense in the Star Trek timeline or not,
  11. Why I like Courage's theme being used is that, for all its splendor, I think Goldsmith wore out his own theme as an end title choice. After NEMESIS, and particularly that slowed-down performance, I was happy with it never coming up again. Perhaps Courage theme suits the glamorous/colourful look they're going for with this new film as well - it doesn't sound dated when I imagine the stills I've seen of the film.

Besides, I think it would be pretty hard to do what he does with slotting his own theme in under the Courage theme... if it had been the Goldsmith one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am