• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    William wrote
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

An enjoyable score, though Ellie's theme seems not as inspired as Muntz'.

I think it's just as good, although Muntz's theme is the highlight. smile

That woodwind solo 3:46 into Up With End Credits is beautiful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The emotional music in there is really excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited
    NP:Up (Giacchino)

Addictive main theme, but over used and too repetitive.

Anyway, a much more coherent and well devoloped score than Star Trek, but not so great as Ratatouille.

The action stuff and the long tracks rocks punk

Very good score, indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Steven wrote
    I prefer the first to the second one too. The second one is still an awesome score, but the first has more "emotional resonance"... without trying to sound too pretentious there.

Yay, once again I'm in the minority! lick

Well, I've never imagined you to prefer an emotional piece of music over an action piece. wink

True. I can't claim otherwise. angelic

^
    Me at a similar age!

Your tastes will change bro, believe me.....your taste will change!!!

They will... but unlikely in the case of James Horner's Zorro scores. The first one has more "emotional resonance"!? Well, I'll take that and say that the second score has far more existential waterways along which we can all navigate.

I prefer the second score too. I thought everyone did. The film's awful though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I agree with James. The Legend of Zorro is a much more entertaining score with some great action tracks. Somehow the first score doesn't appeal to me that much. As for the movies, the second was very bad but I'm not too fond of the first one either.
  1. Small Soldiers Expanded (Jerry Goldsmith)

So good on the official album, so much better expanded. Damn this is one incredibly cool score by the master. There's not a single track I dislike, everything has that special, terribly missed sound. It's one of those that raises a smile on my face, and gets my blood pumping each and every time. Love those militaristic cues that just ooze excitement.

Small Soldiers, Big Score
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Godzilla - David Arnold

I really like the exciting action music in this score - such a great release from La-La Land Records. Shades out Independence Day by quite a bit - but that may change if this latter score were to receive a good 2-CD presentation someday.

As whole scores, I think Godzilla just about 'shades out' Independence Day. But my 60-odd minute playlist taken from the complete ID4 score pretty much obliterates anything Arnold had written before or since.... IMO.

Well, that's not hard to do. tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Bourne? As Hulk? I may have to pick this one up.

The score? Think again. wink

I agree with D. For a film that, IMO, was a decent 3/5, that rating could have been bumped higher with a more adrenaline packed effort from the composer and I think it's a shame that someone like Powell didn't get to score it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Godzilla - David Arnold

I really like the exciting action music in this score - such a great release from La-La Land Records. Shades out Independence Day by quite a bit - but that may change if this latter score were to receive a good 2-CD presentation someday.

As whole scores, I think Godzilla just about 'shades out' Independence Day. But my 60-odd minute playlist taken from the complete ID4 score pretty much obliterates anything Arnold had written before or since.... IMO.

Could you list your playlist when you've got some time - I'd like to give it a listen.

Absolutely. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote
    keky wrote
    And what about a talking dog movie?

love

Dogs can talk! That's an obvious fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP& … Xo3NFqkaRM
    It's for you Steven! wink

biggrin

Looks strikingly similiar to my husky, Nasa. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

They will... but unlikely in the case of James Horner's Zorro scores. The first one has more "emotional resonance"!? Well, I'll take that and say that the second score has far more existential waterways along which we can all navigate.

I prefer the second score too. I thought everyone did. The film's awful though.

Nope. Slightly prefer the first one because it was one of the first scores I bought, it follows a much better narrative, and it has a more emotional feel overall. Can't see why the second one is preferred to be honest, even though it's still a fantastic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Did you name your dog after the NASA or is the name Nasa an existing one?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Bourne? As Hulk? I may have to pick this one up.

The score? Think again. wink

I agree with D. For a film that, IMO, was a decent 3/5, that rating could have been bumped higher with a more adrenaline packed effort from the composer and I think it's a shame that someone like Powell didn't get to score it.

In fact ( and I never thought I'd hear myself saying this ), what a shame David Arnold didn't score it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote

The former. (He even has the logo on his collar. biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    keky wrote

Steven wrote
    keky wrote

...and much catchier than CCCP. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Nightmare Before Christmas - Danny Elfman

Magnificent! Brilliant songs that only Elfman could write with a delightful, memorable score that is unfortunately under appreciated in these parts!

"I say that we take a cannon
    Aim it at his door and then
    Knock three times and when he answers
    Sandy Claws will be no more"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    That woodwind solo 3:46 into Up With End Credits is beautiful!

Agreed! Tropical Giacchino! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Magnificent! Brilliant songs that only Elfman could write with a delightful, memorable score that is unfortunately under appreciated in these parts!

-Erik-

An essential Christmas score that always gets a play in our house on Christmas day. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

The Nickel Tour is gorgeous! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Angels and Demons ~ Hans Zimmer

I've been listening to it almost every day for the past few days. It grows on me with each listening. Fantastic!!! Moments of it are breathtaking, others exhilarating, it feels like lifting you up from the mundane rythms of life.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh, what you have done now to me!!! I adore it but I spend a whole month singing "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" and only recently I managed to get over it. Here we go again... Kidnap the Sandy Claws, put him in a bag...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Won't they be impressed, I am a genius
    See how I transformed this old rat
    Into a most delightful hat"

"Hmm, my compliments from me to you
    On this your most intriguing hat
    Consider though this substitute
    A bat in place of this old rat"
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Michel Legrand

Hot, sunny blue skies....music....:sigh: cool
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Small Soldiers Expanded (Jerry Goldsmith)

So good on the official album, so much better expanded. Damn this is one incredibly cool score by the master. There's not a single track I dislike, everything has that special, terribly missed sound. It's one of those that raises a smile on my face, and gets my blood pumping each and every time. Love those militaristic cues that just ooze excitement.

Small Soldiers, Big Score

hehe, I put some time in that expanded release, but my god does it pay off smile
    Legendary score punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: August Rush - Mark Mancina

Thomas' review has put me in the mood. smile
  3. William wrote

and so it should smile , excellent score that really shows what a good composer Mark Mancina is
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    William wrote

and so it should smile , excellent score that really shows what a good composer Mark Mancina is

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    William wrote

Wonderful score indeed! smile
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Drag Me to Hell (Christopher Young)

Imagine the choir sections of "Second Sight" from Hellraiser II, mix it up with the dissonance from the Grudge scores plus some really neat experimental effects with the orchestra. It may not sound like much, but it's another Young horror score to pursue. Wish that Lakeshore would've released the CD this week instead of early July...
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  4. Matt C wrote
    NP: Drag Me to Hell (Christopher Young)

Imagine the choir sections of "Second Sight" from Hellraiser II, mix it up with the dissonance from the Grudge scores plus some really neat experimental effects with the orchestra. It may not sound like much, but it's another Young horror score to pursue. Wish that Lakeshore would've released the CD this week instead of early July...

ah, didn't know this one was already released, sounds cool smile