• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Ocean's 13 David Holmes

The Ocean's scores rarely get a mention on this forum, probably due to it not being a typical "score" (i.e. no sense of narrative or any sort of leitmotif). But I think they're the some of the coolest scores ever composed, right up there with Bullitt.

I love the Ocean's albums. I really enjoy good jazz based scores or jazz soundtrack albums. The Cooler, The Russia House, Checkmate, Rounders, Man With The Golden Arm, Streetcar, Round Midnight, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Glengary Glen Ross, etc. I even have a nice 68 track Jazz playlist that I spin quite often.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Cloverfield - Michael Giacchino

Da da da da da! punk
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Stardust (Ilan Eshkeri)

One of the little surprises of 2007. This stands out as being the sort of film music that belongs in the eighties, full of fantastic fanfares, choral highlights, memorable themes and full of power. Right up my alley then! I'm glad Thomas showed me the film, entertaining as it is the score works very much on its own, and despite the obvious 'borrowings' it's a non-stop enjoyable and beautiful fantasy score.

indeed, what a wonderful orchestral score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP : The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

Hmm, derivative, but still exciting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009 edited
    lp wrote

I'll take it over the 2nd instalment anytime! Score-wise of course, i can't even watch the sequel due to the traumatic cinematic experience that the first one was for me. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer the first to the second one too. The second one is still an awesome score, but the first has more "emotional resonance"... without trying to sound too pretentious there.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Ocean's 13 David Holmes

The Ocean's scores rarely get a mention on this forum, probably due to it not being a typical "score" (i.e. no sense of narrative or any sort of leitmotif). But I think they're the some of the coolest scores ever composed, right up there with Bullitt.

Love 'em! beer

"Laptops" just sums up Eddie Izzard's character in it's 40 second length. biggrin

Steven wrote
    I prefer the first to the second one too. The second one is still an awesome score, but the first has more "emotional resonance"... without trying to sound too pretentious there.

Yay, once again I'm in the minority! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

I'll take it over the 2nd instalment anytime! Score-wise of course, i can't even watch the sequel due to the traumatic cinematic experience that the first one was for me. smile

I don't like the sequel at all. The music was more action-oriented, but the magic was gone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

I don't like the sequel at all. The music was more action-oriented, but the magic was gone.

I don't like it either; i listened to it 3 times and that was it, can't return to it; now the first one is pretty good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

You go girl! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Steven wrote

Well, I've never imagined you to prefer an emotional piece of music over an action piece. wink
  2. NP: THEY LIVE -- John Carpenter & Alan Howarth

classic Carpenter, need I say more wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Steven wrote

Well, I've never imagined you to prefer an emotional piece of music over an action piece. wink

True. I can't claim otherwise. angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Heathen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Ocean's 13 David Holmes

Not alone there. All three scores are great listening albums, as you know I've always been exceptionally partial to jazzy scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Ocean's 13 David Holmes

I love the Ocean's albums. I really enjoy good jazz based scores or jazz soundtrack albums. The Cooler, The Russia House, Checkmate, Rounders, Man With The Golden Arm, Streetcar, Round Midnight, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Glengary Glen Ross, etc. I even have a nice 68 track Jazz playlist that I spin quite often.

-Erik-

I would love to see your 68 track playlist Erik? smile wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Steven wrote

True. I can't claim otherwise. angelic

^
    Me at a similar age!

Your tastes will change bro, believe me.....your taste will change!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I would love to see your 68 track playlist Erik? smile wave

HERE YOU GO!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    NP: The Incredible Hulk - Craig Armstrong

I know some of you will complain that it got a 2 CD release, but I'm happy that it did. It seems like intelligent music, and this way we get more of the development of each theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009
    Panthera wrote
    NP: The Incredible Hulk - Craig Armstrong

I know some of you will complain that it got a 2 CD release, but I'm happy that it did. It seems like intelligent music, and this way we get more of the development of each theme.

One of my favorite scores of 2008. The 2-and-a-half hours goes by incredibly quickly. It is very similar to Powell's Bourne style, but it's incredibly internally consistent as far as rhythmic structure and motific ideas, so once you listen to it a few times it becomes its own animal rather than just another Bourne rip-off.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bourne? As Hulk? I may have to pick this one up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

The score? Think again. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Are you implying a negative opinion of this score?

If so, I will defend it to the hilt!! wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. NP: Godzilla - David Arnold

I really like the exciting action music in this score - such a great release from La-La Land Records. Shades out Independence Day by quite a bit - but that may change if this latter score were to receive a good 2-CD presentation someday.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Godzilla - David Arnold

I really like the exciting action music in this score - such a great release from La-La Land Records. Shades out Independence Day by quite a bit - but that may change if this latter score were to receive a good 2-CD presentation someday.

As whole scores, I think Godzilla just about 'shades out' Independence Day. But my 60-odd minute playlist taken from the complete ID4 score pretty much obliterates anything Arnold had written before or since.... IMO.
  4. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Godzilla - David Arnold

As whole scores, I think Godzilla just about 'shades out' Independence Day. But my 60-odd minute playlist taken from the complete ID4 score pretty much obliterates anything Arnold had written before or since.... IMO.

Could you list your playlist when you've got some time - I'd like to give it a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Up - Michael Giacchino

An enjoyable score, though Ellie's theme seems not as inspired as Muntz'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Are you implying a negative opinion of this score?

If so, I will defend it to the hilt!! wink

Well, i don't think others would be surprised if i did; it's not like we're talking about the most popular score of 2008 here wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    keky wrote
    And what about a talking dog movie?

love

Dogs can talk! That's an obvious fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP& … Xo3NFqkaRM
    It's for you Steven! wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah; and in the meantime you can watch other kind of films instead.

Actually I think you'll find that the kittens are employing a combination of Bruce Lee's Jeet-Kun-Do and Japanese Sumo wrestling, the wrestling cat using it's tail to sweep away rice grains is also acting as a distraction for jeet-kun-do cat who quickly loses after a forward tackle from sumo cat.

It should be pointed out that in actuality there was no Karate involved whatsoever.

Who cares. Westerners think all Asian cultures are the same thing. tongue wink

NP: Quartet Main Theme - Joe Hisaishi
    love punk lick cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp