• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Rather inner insecurity. The first sermon by Father Flynn addressed her own insecurity and that is purely a vengeance on her side. She is also concerned with the children. She is more than rusty. Inside she is weak and very fragile, which is perfectly shown in the scene, where she helps an old nun during dinner and how she wants to hide that particular nun's problems with sight from the priest, so she doesn't get sent out.

Everybody's imperfect there and that makes it great. Also the interaction between actors is amazing. Amy Adams, Meryl Streep and Hoffman just shine.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009
    Right, stuff I've listened to today:

TMNT - Klaus Badelt - A fantastic McDonalds junk score. Love it - I especially like what I assume is a baddie motif.

Up - Michael Giacchino - Escape From Muntz Mountain is officially my favourite new cue of the year.

Star Trek - Michael Giacchino - Ridiculously addictive, even I can't believe how much I've listened to this. Regardless of whatever anyone says about it "not being a Star Trek score", Enterprising Young Men is utterly perfect.

Warriors Of Virtue - Don Davis - The Matrix has been topped - even if it's reminiscent of James Horner.

The Time Machine - Klaus Badelt - Not a fan. The main theme is catchy, but it's also pretty predictable.

Valkyrie - John Ottman - First listen. A lot of it is underscore. Some pretty good suspense cues, but the final choral track is worth the album alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Warriors Of Virtue - Don Davis - The Matrix has been topped - even if it's reminiscent of James Horner.

Considering Davis had up to this point orchestrated quite a few of Horner's score during the 90s, it's not surprising. But it's hard to know what is technically Davis's or Horner's? Davis's influence certainly seemed to come through quite predominantly in scores like Balto, Clear & Present Danger and The Pagemaster for example (all brilliantly orchestrated scores).
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Not buying the 'JD Dies' connection to THIN RED LINE. I hear it's roots more in the unused Coda cue from HEAT that became the coda cue from MICHAEL COLLINS.

It's rather obvious to my ears, even the rhythmic elements are all there. Same goes for Shore's YARDS, which is also rather TTRL influenced.

But in Shore's YARDS, the tracks that sound like TTRL are quotations of Holst's 'Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age', written some 80 years before TTRL. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wyatt Earp James Newton Howard

It's been far too long since I was in a JNH mood (subconsciously marred by less-than-positive opinions of his non-Shyamalan scores shared by a couple of very reputable posters here perhaps). This score is like "returning to an old friend", as has often been said on this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Superman - The Movie John Williams

The best superhero score out there, with THE best superhero theme.

I edited your post above. Now it reads right.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik, how'd you edit his post? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    By quoting wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Superman - The Movie John Williams

The best superhero score out there, with THE best superhero theme.

I edited your post above. Now it reads right.

-Erik-

Good man....so SO true!!! applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Vertical Limit James Newton Howard

When it comes to scoring geological features such as mountains and volcanoes, JNH is the man. I've always thought his theme from Dante's Peak was PERFECT for volcanoes! It's weird how it fits, but it does. (I think JNH was a geologist in his previous life.)

I played this one earlier too, love it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    Up - Michael Giacchino - Escape From Muntz Mountain is officially my favourite new cue of the year.

Ditto, along with Memories Can Weigh You Down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Chicken Run - John Powell and HGW

Woke up early from an exceptionally foul dream today and in a bad mood so this is gonna help me cheer up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I haven't played this fun yet emotional score for months...!

NP: A League Of Their Own - Hans Zimmer

Swingin cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    I like penis.

Who knows.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    LOL...big LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahah, i LOLed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROBOCOP - Basil Poledouris

Basil - love punk
  3. NP: MALONE -- David Newman

sounds like Commando, not one of Newman's best confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE - Max Steiner

Bold, muscular score brilliantly recorded by Mssrs Morgan & Stromberg making sound as fresh as today.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE - James Horner

I fall into the category of those who like this score. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLADERUNNER - Vangelis

Classic synth score, BRILLIANT! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BLADERUNNER - Vangelis

Classic synth score, BRILLIANT! punk

There was a time I used to hate this score, but I finally came round to my senses and realized just how great it works in the film. Absolutely brilliant film music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Vangelis score is a big factor in the film being the cult classic it's considered to be nowadays. Though I've always loved the score I was initially disappointed to find Jerry Goldsmith wouldn't be scoring it!? In hindsight it's surprising Goldsmith even went on to work with Ridley Scott again ( Legend ) after his experience with Alien.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    I like penis.

Who knows.

ah, jeez

cracking up over here
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Amistad
    John Williams

ah, John Williams' great African score. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just a little bit of....

NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

A bit of psyching before tonights pool competition. punk
  4. Last night while stuck in 4th of July traffic from leaving watchers (over two hours stuck), I listened to some score from the wonderful TV series "Due South" (Jay Semko, John McCarthy, & Jack Lenz).

The highlight was hearing from the pick-up in front of me -- which appearently had some windows down -- was a little boy saying "that's so beautiful", after a beautiful woodwind passage (from a particularly touching moment in an episode).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    By quoting wink

OK. dizzy shame face-palm-mt I wondered for a moment if Erik had become a moderator or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    I like penis.

Who knows.

Steven, that's terrible... angry moon But... lol