• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/07/18/s … -korsakov/

Worth exploring Tim
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As well as Capriccio Espagnol.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I will seek it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    NP : METAMORPHOSIS : JAZZ MEETS THE SYMPHONY # 4 - Lalo Schifrin

Excellent album combining top jazz musicians including Schifrin on piano and the might of the LSO.

Schifrin's take on Gil Evan's classic NEVADA is jaw dropping, breathtakingly AWESOME!

Ever heard this Martijn?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010 edited
    It's only me n' Tom that frequent here rolleyes slant ( with the odd guest slot filled in by Lee, Alan, Thor and D )

Most people too busy listening to crap music for films...I mean, c'mon, who the fuck listens to orchestral music written for a bleedin' film eh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: SPEAKING OF NOW - PAT METHENY GROUP

The first track just takes me back to Canberra when I was waiting for a coach in the freezing cold one early morning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010
    LSH wrote
    NP: SPEAKING OF NOW - PAT METHENY GROUP

The first track just takes me back to Canberra when I was waiting for a coach in the freezing cold one early morning.

I love it when music means something that little bit more. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : METAMORPHOSIS : JAZZ MEETS THE SYMPHONY # 4 - Lalo Schifrin

Ever heard this Martijn?

I have ONE of the Jazz Meets The Symphony albums (somewhere... dizzy ), but I didn't even know there were more (so it's very likely I don't have this one.
    Doesn't ring a bell at any rate.

Sounds like it's worth seeking out, though!

Timmer wrote
    It's only me n' Tom that frequent here rolleyes slant ( with the odd guest slot filled in by Lee, Alan, Thor and D )

Yeah, because I'm, like, invisible. tongue
    It's true though that for the last month or two I have been pretty exclusively focused on film scores and audio theatre.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oops! shame A thousand apologies o'great one.

This is a minority thread in a minority.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/p … -korsakov/

By the way Tim I have both Nevada and the Schifrin piece. Both are excellent.
    Right now I've taken a little bit of a break from film music and am working on my Rimsky-Korsakov material. I'm going to compare in reviews all of what I have. Nothing wrong just a small break
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ORCHESTRAL WORKS (Aaron Copland)

A 2CD set from London containing brilliant performances of most of the classic Copland compositions, including the film music suite. Right now it's "Appalachian Spring".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ZACK HAMSEY (the guy who wrote the most famous of the 3 INCEPTION TRAILER musical pieces) - EMPTY ROOM (2010)

Surprisingly melodic, tight and very groovy hip-hop, trip-hop album with r''n'b elements a vivid middle eastern colors in the samples (loops). Very impressed, didn't see this coming.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    ZACK HAMSEY (the guy who wrote the most famous of the 3 INCEPTION TRAILER musical pieces) - EMPTY ROOM (2010)

Surprisingly melodic, tight and very groovy hip-hop, trip-hop album with r''n'b elements a vivid middle eastern colors in the samples (loops). Very impressed, didn't see this coming.

Except for later on in the album (mid-way) when it goes the whole smooth electronica / full of sampled orchestras on top of angelic female vocals thingy which finds me battling between the fake orchestras and falling asleep...The first half and the ending of the album are killers!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010
    Thor wrote
    NP: ORCHESTRAL WORKS (Aaron Copland)

A 2CD set from London containing brilliant performances of most of the classic Copland compositions, including the film music suite. Right now it's "Appalachian Spring".

Never heard the film music suite. I'd be interested in hearing since I'm such a fan
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    Please give me a little more info on this CD set when you have a chance Thor.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    I'm listening to Rachmaninof, one of his very early works called The Rock, based on Chekov.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010 edited
    Sorry for the late response, Tom. Here's the CD I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Sprin … B000004284

It it - IMO - the best Copland disc out there. Includes all his major works in sparkling performances.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    NP : WISH YOU WERE HERE - Pink Floyd

What an album, truly brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    Sorry for the late response, Tom. Here's the CD I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Sprin … B000004284

It it - IMO - the best Copland disc out there. Includes all his major works in sparkling performances.

You made it sound like there was material orchestrated for a suite that I'd never heard before. This is all material that I have multiple recordings of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    You made it sound like there was material orchestrated for a suite that I'd never heard before. This is all material that I have multiple recordings of.

I don't think there are other film music suites by Copland out there?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 10 000 HZ LEGEND - Air

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    I thought maybe someone like the LA Philharmonic orchestrated one
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    With all of the recent buzz about the release of the North Spartacus I had to go back and revisit the Khachaturian, which is damn good material and pretty reasonable
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    With all of the recent buzz about the release of the North Spartacus I had to go back and revisit the Khachaturian, which is damn good material and pretty reasonable

It's a fantastic work Tom, and one of those pieces that originally got me into classical music at an early age.

I'd recommend everyone here give that work a listen, fabulous orchestrations and melodies that most composers can only dream of writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One could say that he studied Rimsky for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very likely I am sure, Tom.

Shostakovitch was a great admirer of Khachaturian's orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Piano Concerto No. 2 Rachmaninov

I saw this played at the Proms recently, and it has since become quite a favourite. The third movement, about 2 minutes in and onwards, sounds like the inspiration for Russell Garcia's theme to The Time Machine.

Soul cleansing music.

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I cannot fault your taste dear boy cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    beautiful work Steven
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Piano Concerto No. 2 Rachmaninov

I saw this played at the Proms recently, and it has since become quite a favourite. The third movement, about 2 minutes in and onwards, sounds like the inspiration for Russell Garcia's theme to The Time Machine.

Soul cleansing music.

punk

I didn't know that Rachmaninov was approached to write the concerto for the film Dangerous Moonlight? This would be a couple of years before his death in 1943.

Richard Addinsell went on to compose the now very famous piece.

WARSAW CONCERTO