• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

An awesome AWESOME work, the greatest fantasy score never written to a film IMO.

Ray Harryhausen had plans to make an animated feature set to this music that would have involved no actors at all, a Satyr that he made for this unrealised project was modified and became the Ymir in 20 Million Miles To Earth and was modified again to become the Cyclops in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. No waste for Ray on his tight budgets.

There was also serious talk of Bernard Herrmannn writing an original piece that would have animation from Harryhausen to the music, something that very sadly didn't happen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    NP: The Lord of the Rings audio book

I've being revisiting Middle Earth for a while now either by listening to Shore's marvelous ssoundtracks or by listening of reading the books. Such a wonderful journey this is! Godess Stavi
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    Another version of one of my favorite works. Scheherazade from the Seattle Symphony
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    NP : BOUNCED CHECKS - Tom Waits

I have to be in the right mood for Waits, this is a brilliant compilation, I love Waits work and the man is a genius.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011 edited
    NP : COMPILATION - Sparks

Fantastic compilation of this highly influential band ( or more accurately, Duo ), one of my very favourite acts when I was young.

Some here will recognise This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both of Us from the film KICK-ASS

I've always loved the way keyboard player Ron Mael ( brother of lead singer Russ ) just sits playing, never smiling looking like an inanimate Adolf Hitler biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011
    Timmer I'm happy for you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer I'm happy for you

smile beer

For me Tom, it gets to a point at times where I need something other than orchestral music, I have a great passion for rock, pop, jazz etc and I need it as much as I need film scores and classical, judging from some of your NP's there seems to be times where you too, need an escape from the usual.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DREAMING - Kate Bush

One of her more peculiar albums and probably my least played ( I have ALL of Kate Bush albums ) but it's still damned good, this woman was/is a creative genius and this album just fizzles with quirky creativity and off-kilter rhythms, just brilliant, absolutely BRILLIANT!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : METALLIC SPHERES - The Orb & Dave Gilmour

One of my best buys last year, excellent stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

Wonderful orchestral work with a strong hint of John Barry to it, no bad thing in my book. cool
  1. Possibly my favourite Oldfield album and a very personal one for me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    NP : SCHOOL DAYS - Stanley Clarke

Funkfunkyfunkyfunk! punk cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Followed by some more...

NP : TIME EXPOSURE - Stanley Clarke

This is a special memory laner for me that brings back headonistic days of the mid 1980's when I lived in a shared house with a big bunch of friends ( it was a large house and quite famous/infamous as the house where early 80's anarchic comedy The Young Ones was filmed ), fantastic times where we were always in and out of each others rooms, having a laugh, playing music, girls, booze blah blah , there was one track from this album I played a lot and was dubbed by the other housemates as "Tim's Theme", it's the title track....

TIM's THEME cheesy

It starts up at 00.47 seconds.

I think it's very complimentary of my friends to dub me with this, it makes me sound a lot more dynamic than I probably actually was.
  2. Cool tune for a cool dude. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011 edited
    You're too kind beer I don't know what tune I would get "dubbed" with now over 20 years later....probably 'Old Man River' or Fred Wedlock's 'The Oldest Swinger In Town' wink

p.s. I think there's a 'what theme are YOU' thread somewhere in this?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And for those interested, here's the house where I lived...

OUR HOUSE
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    NP : FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS - Ralph Vaughan Williams

In my world music doesn't get better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Fantastic choice. Superb.

NP: THE LARK ASCENDING - RALPH VAUGHN WILLIAMS

One of my favourite pieces of music, ever. Gorgeous, inspiring and completely unchallenging. Perfect bedtime listening.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fantastic choice backatcha! Both of these pieces are my # 1 all time favourites and I cannot and will not choose between them.

Sublime masterpieces beyond any available words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011 edited
    NP: RAY OF LIGHT - MADONNA

The (and I can't stress this enough) only album of Madonna's that I can listen to, though I expect that that's mostly due to William Orbit's writing and production. It's trance-y and downtempo enough. I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote
    NP: RAY OF LIGHT - MADONNA

The (and I can't stress this enough) only album of Madonna's that I can listen to, though I expect that that's mostly due to William Orbit's writing and production. It's trance-y and downtempo enough. I like it.

Unlike you, I like Madonna in general, but that's a great album. Probably my favourite too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The only listenable Madonna album. Sure plays a role that a lot of the album's orchestrations are by Craig Armstrong if i am not mistaken, esp. the gorgeous song "frozen" it's all his, again if i remember correctly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EQUINOXE (Jean Michel Jarre)

Classic album, arguably his best. Moody, ambient, sophisticated.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Lord of the Rings audio book

Which version is that, Stav?
    The BBC radio drama, the American radio drama, or an actual reading? (if the latter, who's reading it? I have recordings of several excerpts read by Tolkien himself (lovely, if a bit scholarly) and Christopher Lee (marvellous!), but haven' heard of any full reading?)

Christodoulides wrote
    The only listenable Madonna album. Sure plays a role that a lot of the album's orchestrations are by Craig Armstrong if i am not mistaken, esp. the gorgeous song "frozen" it's all his, again if i remember correctly.

Yep. Agreed. It's the one album of hers whe the production and arrangements are really to my liking.
    Not surprised at all to see this a clear favourite here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm in a rock mood at the moment...

IRON MAIDEN - SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON

Stupefyingly fantastic !!!! Up the Irons !!!! punk punk

Indeed, listening to Iron Maiden (and Deep Purple before that), it's pretty clear to hear that Guns 'n Roses, however influential in their own right in the late eighties, stood on the shoulders of giants.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ray of Light is a great album, I can only agree with some of you here that it's the only Madonna album I really enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm in a rock mood at the moment...

IRON MAIDEN - SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON

Stupefyingly fantastic !!!! Up the Irons !!!! punk punk

Indeed, listening to Iron Maiden (and Deep Purple before that), it's pretty clear to hear that Guns 'n Roses, however influential in their own right in the late eighties, stood on the shoulders of giants.

Absolutely!

As for Iron Maiden I just can't listen to them, a friend of mine was crazy about them and would play almost nothing else, I counter attacked by playing nothing but film music every time he visited me.
  3. I went through a phase as well over 20 years ago, I would do nothing else than listen to them. A great uncomplicated time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HORN CONCERTO (John Williams)

Busy piece that combines the dissonant with the traditional...and Williams' love of trees. This is the new Leonard Slatkin recording on Naxos.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    Holst Symphony in F Major, op.8 "The Cotswold"