• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    Hope all goes well tomorrow James. Best wishes.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    My condolences too James. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow. Stay strong. We are all here for you.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010
    i've heard and read reports that scientifically aren't backed up in my opinion
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

That you can't travel back in time? I'm sure I told you that before Tom?? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sorry about your loss James. My condolences and best wishes to you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    James, our thoughts are with you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote

That you can't travel back in time? I'm sure I told you that before Tom?? wink

funny
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2010
    My condolences James. I wish you all the best for tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    as do i
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks all. It was OK, as far as these things go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    never easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    In trying to carry too much stuff down into the basement, I slipped in the stairs and fell on my spinal tap and left elbow. Great commotion and pain as things fell all over the place.

Geez, lately I've been feeling a bit like the "unlucky man", which is a famous song over here. Or like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUD_eitVzj8
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    Oh man. sad
    So "this is why Paddy's not at work today", eh?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Sorry to hear that man.

You need some The Verve in your life right now Thor. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited
    Argh! It annoys me so much that Windows reboots automatically after installing updates. I was just playing a game, only to have the bloody computer shut it down and reboot in the middle of it without my consent, and having to wait 10 minutes for it to install stuff I don't care about. Why, oh why can't it just let me decide when to restart?!

I really don't get how the programmers could do this on purpose without realizing that it can cause problems, and it's even more difficult to grasp why it has never been changed. They must have received millions of complaints over the years.

I'll have to turn off automatic updating now. Can't risk it doing this again where I'll lose something more important than a game.

Peter crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    Mate, you do not need updates. Have them permanently disabled through control panel. All of our windows computers at the studios are having updates off, always. It's faster, you don't need to defragment disks all the time and you don't need them. At all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's just difficult to make the decision when everywhere I read people say the updates are necessary otherwise my computer will be vulnerable to viruses n such. It's not just Microsoft who claims this; when I searched for websites about how to turn off the automatic rebooting I found sites expressing their annoyance at this problem, but they also said that updating was necessary.

*sigh

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bollocks. We run windows 7 x64 on our pcs at the studio with antivirus (f-secure or avira) and we have absolutely no problems whatsoever. This is bollocks marketing by microsoft to force you staff the pc with crap that gets you defragmented and unstable all the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Try and see for yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Think I'll turn it off.

Btw, now that you mention antivirus, which do you find best?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, all have pros and minuses; we use avira (free or premium, doesn't really matter 'cause it's a very good program) at the studio (and at home) and i am pretty pleased but bear in mind that i do know where i step foot on; i never visit 'weird' sites anyway smile F-secure and ESET NOD32 4 is good too, but found them a bit heavier than avira. Stay away from AVG and NORTON for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, well, I currently have Norton. Came with a free subscription, which only has a few days left, so I have to find an alternative now, preferently freeware. It has worked alright though. Found some threats from time to time. Of course it could merely be making all these threats up to make me feel that it's protecting me. I get the feeling that antivirus programs tend to be hypersensitive, to convince the users that they're really good at their job.

AVG I've used in the past. Seemed like crap. I've used avast too, which seemed pretty good, but it was the one I was using when I got a major trojan that destroyed my last computer.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Avast is busting your balls. Norton is a virus on its own, slows down the system tremendously. Panda antivirus is too light, most viruses get away. Avira is freeware and great. Nod 32 is the next payware alternative, imo.
  2. I'd also recommend Avira. I use it and have no problems with it. It updates regularly (you can choose how it updates, automatic or manual) and it only updates additional information rather (like Norton) the whole definitions database every time (as far as I understand it.)

Being an ordinary user, and not a "power user" as I'd define Demetris, I'd always be reluctant to dispense with Windows' updates. I don't know enough about this sort of thing to know whether I should or should not be downloading the updates or not. I can't tell if they are important or not. Cynics would say that's what Windows is hoping for.

I had an update yesterday where I had to reboot the PC in order for the updates to install completely but I didn't have to do it right there and then. I could have ignored the request and just waited until I was finished. I believe that you can set up the update process to be automatic or manual. And in manual mode you can choose various levels of control: completely manual check that you do yourself, you can set it so that you are informed that there are updates available and then you can choose to download and install, you can also be told that there are updates and they are downloaded but you are asked if you want to install them now. Or, as I said, you can have the updates downloaded automatically and installed automatically. Lots of choice.

As I mentioned, I'm not too knowledgeable about whether I need these updates or not. And this means that I'm not too knowledgeable about potential threats when I'm surfing the web (I too don't frequent dodgy sites). I'd rather have some level of defence that's up-to-date rather than have something happen and then try to pick up the pieces after some threat has arrived on my PC.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Oh and with Norton. Isn't it a bugger to get rid of once you have it on your PC? It's so tenacious that don't you actually need an application from Norton in order to fully remove it from your system?

I remember I used to have Norton on my old PC for a time and, even though I got rid of it, there were still remnants of the software lurking on my harddrive for some time afterwards.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Uninstall EVERYTHING, ALWAYS with Revo Uninstaller. No left-overs intentionally left from the programs if you just uninstall them via windows. Hassle-free.

As for updates, be careful when applying if you don't want to turn them off completely (i can't imagine why, but still). Always backup before installing and restart if you don't want to run into loosing data after nasty black / blue screen of deaths after rebooting or "bootmgr corrupted / missing" messages.
  4. I got rid of Norton before I was aware of Revo Uninstaller. So this gets rid of Norton as well? Goodness, it is good!!

I'd say that I probably represent the general population (at the top end admittedly) who don't really understand much about computers and their inner workings. So we have to rely on others to advise on how to progress through the myriad of information available on software, hardware, updates, etc.

Most will default to accepting that updates from the manufacturers of operating systems is likely to be the best way to keep things ticking over and keeping everything up-to-date.

I've used a PC for a number of years now and have always had the Windows updates install without any problems so far: no screens of death anywhere (I'm tempting fate here). So, for me suggesting that updating from Windows is going to lead to such is a little bit on the side of scaremongering for people who don't really understand things. Maybe I'm one of the few people who have managed to avoid the death screen so far? I do notice that the updates do sometimes (always?) set a system restore point prior to installing updates. Isn't that some sort of insurance to having to just bin a knackered PC after a Windows update? Maybe it's the installation of some "flowery" software that leads to problems with the updates?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't need anything complex to run windows, this is what the general public doesn't understand and fills the pc's with useless software that conflicts each other, burdens the pc and makes it run slower than a turtle.

WINDOWS 7 is what i have
    avira antivirus free
    revo uninstaller - also check what autoruns with windows and uncheck all the unnecessary stuff
    ccleaner
    and defragment the disks via windows disk defrag program when install new applications or when analyze disks and find them more than 3% fragmented.
    windows updates turned off via control panel

My pcs with those settings work like a charm, very fast, very clean, problem free.
  5. Obviously I've taken most of your advice in the past, Demetris!

Avira - check
    Revo - check
    ccleaner - check

Thanks for all that advice in the past - and for any help you can provide in the future!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think there is any problem with turning off automatic updates, but I can't think that anyone should seriously never download any, which seems to be what is being suggested. Some of them are a waste of time, but some are rather important at plugging security gaps, others are nice bug fixes, occasionally there is even a new feature or two.

I do agree with Alan, though - I can't believe Microsoft hasn't done anything about the forced resets. The times I've left the computer doing something overnight, only to come back in the morning and find that it rebooted itself at 2am, are not among my happiest Microsoft moments.