• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    Sunil wrote

And score, what a piece of crap?

Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I gotta give it to Sunil on the wheelchair. Given the technology in the film generally suggests exoskeletal transport (e.g. the way the Quarritch's metal body moves with his real one), they would have had working prosthetic legs available at low cost.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sunil wrote

Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Dood... people were wearing ordinary suits and smoking cigarettes in the film. Just because the film takes place in the future doesn't mean that it has to look like Hill Valley 2015 in Back To The Future Part II.

Of course, it doesn't have to look like Hill Valley 2015 as in BTTF 2. But at least, the equipments they are showing in the film should be look like futuristic. Is it not? Whether they wear normal suit or clothes or they smoke or drink, whatever be the case when you are making film like this you have to be very careful even with minor information though its fictional or imaginative.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sunil wrote
    I can see your point but the fact is Cameron should have given fair explanation through one of his characters and convince the audience that why he is using old type of wheelchair even in the year 2154? whether its for exercise or some other purpose. I don't agree with that kind of assumptions.

A two and a half hour film and they couldn't even find room for an explanation? Disgusting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Sunil wrote

And score, what a piece of crap? total running time of movie is 2hrs 40 minutes, in that, 2hrs 10 minutes just nothing, in fact, sleep vomit But Horner really shines in last few minutes of the movie. That's all. All others are just rehash of his entire career. If anybody pinpoints about Jake's first flight, i say Jake first flight is no where near to the Flight of the Griffin from The Spiderwick Chronicles. I can't even now believe that most of the critics around the world rated this score as very high. This really makes me very very angry. Damn! angry angry

The score being a piece of crap is a harsh statement... there has been a lot of thought going behind it, no doubt about it, even with the unoriginal approach it still has something worthwile to it... I think the music in the film works better than as a standalone listen. I'm not a big fan of it either (on album) but I've heard far more shitty 'music' than this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Sunil wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sunil wrote

yeah That's you in the grand scheme of things.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    applause

Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Sherlock Holmes

Boring, annoying and unfunny. 2 hours that feels like 4. The plot is introduced too late, it's unninteresting, and it's stupidly complicated (it reminds me to the second and third pirates of caribean films).

About the music...it's one of the worst scored movies by the german born composer. It's mixed far too loud, it's far to "weird". If you think the 50 minutes album is repetitive, then take care to watch and listen 2 hours of the same thing.
    The only good thing is the 18 minutes track wich sounds in the movie exactly that in the Album. In this case the music works brilliantly, and gives energy to the final climax.

it's one of the few times I say this about the music from this german-born composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked Weren't you the one who actually loved that crappy score?!?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Sherlock Holmes

Boring, annoying and unfunny. 2 hours that feels like 4. The plot is introduced too late, it's unninteresting, and it's stupidly complicated (it reminds me to the second and third pirates of caribean films).

About the music...it's one of the worst scored movies by the german born composer. It's mixed far too loud, it's far to "weird". If you think the 50 minutes album is repetitive, then take care to watch and listen 2 hours of the same thing.
    The only good thing is the 18 minutes track wich sounds in the movie exactly that in the Album. In this case the music works brilliantly, and gives energy to the final climax.

it's one of the few times I say this about the music from this german-born composer.

I agree. The movie is too complicated, too confusing (maybe the fact that it was a 1AM session didn´t help tongue ) and Holmes´charcater is presented too eccentric. Well, at least Rachel MacAdams saves the day when she´s on screen. About the music, it is indeed mixed too loud.

I prefer Basil Rathbone´s Sherlock Holmes movies. Definitely.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, in the album. Now I saw the movie and it WORKS badly (except for the 18 minutes track).

Do I really need to explain to you how a music can be good in composition but it can works bad in the context of the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

You broke your promise yesterday. I´ll let Tim know. BAM!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    biggrin

Anthony, you said 3 days. and I surpassed that mark.

So...Are you listening Giacchino? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Wasn´t it three weeks?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Depends on which option will keep me listening to Giacchino.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

You broke your promise yesterday. I´ll let Tim know. BAM!

uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, in the album. Now I saw the movie and it WORKS badly (except for the 18 minutes track).

Do I really need to explain to you how a music can be good in composition but it can works bad in the context of the movie?

It's not good as a composition. It's messy, raw and all over the place, unfitting to any mood. I imagine the same problems are the ones it's facing in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's not good as a composition. It's messy, raw and all over the place, unfitting to any mood. I imagine the same problems are the ones it's facing in the movie.

It's not messy. the mood? the victorian mood Over the place? witout any doubt.

The Gipsy track is 2 times in the movie, and it's annoying.

But the 18 minutes track is a masterpiece. In the movie, and in the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010
    Creation

Beautifully made throughout. It didn't entirely grip me, but there were some scenes that were too stunning to not get affected by. The movie jumped back and forth in time, so for the easily confused, one has to pay careful attention (I realized that Darwin's receeding hairline was a good indicator about where we were in time, so without his hairloss I would have been totally lost). Rated it 6 out of 10 on imdb.

The number 23

Funny to see Jim Carrey in a such a serious role. Being an Ace Ventura fan, especially the sex scenes seemed odd to me. I wouldn't say he's a bad actor, but there's definitely something missing, especially in the highly emotional and dramatic scenes. That said, I found the movie to be almost crap from beginning to end. The twist might have had an actual impact on me, if the movie had been better made, combined with a better lead actor. Rated it 2 on imdb.

Bridge to Terabithia

This movie made me cry (which doesn't happen often btw). Despite appearing like a children's movie, it deals with some very difficult subjects. Judging from the trailer I thought it would be more like a fantasy movie, but it ended up being very realistic. The child actors were very good, but some of the less central actors weren't always doing the best job. I loved Zigman's score in this movie, always highly listenable. Rated it 6 on imdb.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    I watched a very tough movie last night, Polytechnique. A bit too close to home for my liking, one kilometer.
    It is a visceral attempt to recreate the massacre that happened 20 years ago at the Université of Montréal’s Engeneering Faculty. An armed 25 year old man came in a class, divided the men and women, told the men to get out and killed the remaining women. The guy went on a rampage after that. The guy killed 14 women and injured many others and killed himself in the process.
    As he said in a letter, he did dit because he hated feminists and women who studied at university.

This 75 minutes must-see film is a kick in the gut. All shot in black and white, no sensationalism, amazing cinematography and a very touching score by Benoit Charest. (It couldn’t be more different than Les Triplettes de Belleville) This is the kind of movie that I would put in the same category as Schindler’s List. You don’t see it often because it is so hard to accept.

http://www.polytechniquelefilm.com/en/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0_bmNH6o0g
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Transsiberian

I hadn't even heard of this 2008 film, but when I saw it was on tv something about it grabbed my attention and so I read the reviews (including a particularly glowing one by Roger Ebert) and had to watch it. And it turns out that it was part-financed by the European Union, so I helped pay for it, so thought I should make an effort.

Woody Harrelson (who is terrific - who knew!?) and Emily Mortimer play two American tourists travelling from Beijing to Moscow by train and who unwittingly get drawn into all sorts of problems after befriending a couple of other Western travellers. It takes a long time to get going but when it does it's incredibly tense and gripping. It's a shame that it relies on a bit of a silly device towards the end to lead to the conclusion, but it's a fine film.

The score is wonderful! Have never even heard of the composer, Alfonso Vilallonga. Would certainly buy a CD of it, but none is available. (It's a very "Moviescore Media"-type score, if you know what I mean.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From the two above posts it sounds like movies I would like to see.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited

I think I expected way too much for James Cameron's return to filmmaking after taking a decade-long hiatus for Titanic, but the story suffers from 'inspiration' ranging from Pocahontas to Ferngully. Cameron clearly threw his all into this movie, and his passion evident in the movie. The 3-D imagery, combined with the solid acting and impressive CGI work make this film entertaining. But praise aside, this is one of the most overrated films of the past decade.

I enjoyed Aliens and Titanic far more than Avatar. James Horner may have threw in every cliche or infamous trait he had into Avatar's score, but I thought it worked very well in the movie. Well, the music in the big battle sequence at the end was lacking.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Transsiberian

I hadn't even heard of this 2008 film, but when I saw it was on tv something about it grabbed my attention and so I read the reviews (including a particularly glowing one by Roger Ebert) and had to watch it. And it turns out that it was part-financed by the European Union, so I helped pay for it, so thought I should make an effort.

Woody Harrelson (who is terrific - who knew!?) and Emily Mortimer play two American tourists travelling from Beijing to Moscow by train and who unwittingly get drawn into all sorts of problems after befriending a couple of other Western travellers. It takes a long time to get going but when it does it's incredibly tense and gripping. It's a shame that it relies on a bit of a silly device towards the end to lead to the conclusion, but it's a fine film.

The score is wonderful! Have never even heard of the composer, Alfonso Vilallonga. Would certainly buy a CD of it, but none is available. (It's a very "Moviescore Media"-type score, if you know what I mean.)

I loved the movie and score too, i was convinced nobody else watched it though smile
  3. Children of Men

I'm in two minds about this one. On the one hand I found it one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen - so much so that I do wish that I had never watched it in the first place. But on the other hand it was done in such a realistic way that I have to give praise to everyone who brought this project to the screen. I couldn't NOT watch it.

dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Children of Men

I'm in two minds about this one. On the one hand I found it one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen - so much so that I do wish that I had never watched it in the first place. But on the other hand it was done in such a realistic way that I have to give praise to everyone who brought this project to the screen. I couldn't NOT watch it.

dizzy

Sure, the bulk of the movie was depressing but because of this I found the ending one of the most uplifting scenes in movie history. A very good film, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Children of Men

dizzy

Exactly my thoughts. It's a particularly grim portrayal of the future, but that, its mood and overall sadness is what makes it a different movie and a worthy listen. Admittedly, it was an emotional burden to watch but i don't regret the decision to go for it. I also thought the choice of music focusing on the John Tavener material was very apt.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Transsiberian

I loved the movie and score too, i was convinced nobody else watched it though smile

I'd like to it too! THE MACHINIST is very interesting.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am