• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Transsiberian

The score is wonderful! Have never even heard of the composer, Alfonso Vilallonga. Would certainly buy a CD of it, but none is available. (It's a very "Moviescore Media"-type score, if you know what I mean.)

Really? I remember watching the film at the Sitges film festival and being really annoyed by the out of place score. Originally, the score had to be composed by Roque Baños, but he was very busy at the time and it was finally done by Vilallonga.

As for the movie, I´d choose Anderson´s Session 9 or The Machinist over (the boring) Transsiberian.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    Yeah, Transsiberian was not very good.

What annoyed me the most was the stupidity. Harrelson performing a naïve person, who hasn't the slightest idea or reality on the situation. I couldn't even believe it, this was even worse than a cliché Hollywood charachter. [spoiler]At the end (I think) he shouts something like "But I'm from America" ..[/spoiler]. face-palm-mt

Then we have the boring Russians and Ben Kingsley. It wasn't very exciting, [spoiler]perhaps only at the end when the door was slammed open and we see the train rails. But the finale was such gigantic failure, that I hoped for a miracle. But nah.[/spoiler] Boring is indeed how I would describe the movie.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    I think we look for different things from movies then! That quote from Harrelson was, I thought, entirely plausible. He was a naive person, I thought that was the whole point of the film, as he gradually realises that his innocent belief in people's goodness was misplaced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That still doesn't make the movie very exciting or interesting. smile

(although I'm the naïve one mostly, so perhaps I'm wrong!)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I thought Transsiberian was a decent watch. Usual 'slow-thriller' plot elements but the setting was a nice change. I don't remember anything from the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote

The score being a piece of crap is a harsh statement... there has been a lot of thought going behind it, no doubt about it, even with the unoriginal approach it still has something worthwile to it... I think the music in the film works better than as a standalone listen. I'm not a big fan of it either (on album) but I've heard far more shitty 'music' than this.

If you think that was harsh statement, so be it. But according to me, it was right statement. Avatar score just sucks. vomit However, if you and others adore this score, so be it. I am not interested to talk about this bull shit score any further. wave

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. Well in your defence I seem to be the only one that hates Sleepy Hollow with a passion. So you may as well be the only one alive that hates Avatar. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    "Avatar score just sucks" followed by the vomit icon, repeated with every instance, for no apparent reason; Just like that, without any arguments. Then you ask yourself why nobody takes you seriously, or why do people like to tease you. face-palm-mt
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    -
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    "Avatar score just sucks" followed by the vomit icon, repeated with every instance, for no apparent reason; Just like that, without any arguments. Then you ask yourself why nobody takes you seriously, or why do people like to tease you. face-palm-mt

On many occasion, i have expressed my fair opinion on Avatar score, why i hate so much? I don't understand why are you saying like that. I agree that i was excessively expressed my annoyance over Avatar score. Anyway, i don't speak of it here again. And i decided to delete Avatar score from my PC.

Have a nice day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Might as well keep the score, Sunil. Sometimes one dislikes scores when one first hears them, but they can grow on you slowly over time. I personally found "Signs" an uninteresting Herrnann clone a few years ago, but since then it has become one of my favourite JNH scores.

I'm not a big fan of the "Avatar" score either. But it does have a few decent moments, and the main theme that pops up now and then is rather catchy. I'll certainly keep it, and perhaps some day I can start enjoying it more.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (remake)

Why why why why why why why why why why why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    plindboe wrote
    Might as well keep the score, Sunil. Sometimes one dislikes scores when one first hears them, but they can grow on you slowly over time. I personally found "Signs" an uninteresting Herrnann clone a few years ago, but since then it has become one of my favourite JNH scores.

Peter smile

I agree with this one, Peter. I have experienced lot like this. When i first time listened to Seven Years In Tibet, i didn't like at all, but after i gave several listen to it, i started liking it. But you know, the reason why i didn't like Seven Years In Tibet because not exposed to that kind of music before, it was new for me. But as far as Avatar concern, the reason i hate this score because there are very very few new material, others are just rehash from his own previous works. I expected new Horner music, not the old crap one. That's why i don't like it at all. I just adore his score for Apocalypto but Avatar..... no way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All this is very confusing.

You "adore" Apocalypto.
    You think Avatar sounds exactly the same as Apocalypto.
    You "hate" Avatar.

Very odd!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote

You "adore" Apocalypto.
    You "hate" Avatar.

Very odd!

Your statement is completely odd to me. If i like Apocalypto, so, that mean i should like all the scores which sounds like Apocalypto. My dear Friend, Apocalypto is historical/fiction/action flick but Avatar is sci-fi/fantasy, at least for that sake, he should have adapted new style of composing music. Copying his own previous works and also copying other contemporary composer's works are totally inexcusable and intolerable.
  2. Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

You "adore" Apocalypto.
    You "hate" Avatar.

Very odd!

Your statement is completely odd to me. If i like Apocalypto, so, that mean i should like all the scores which sounds like Apocalypto. My dear Friend, Apocalypto is historical/fiction/action flick but Avatar is sci-fi/fantasy, at least for that sake, he should have adapted new style of composing music. Copying his own previous works and also copying other contemporary composer's works are totally inexcusable and intolerable.

I wouldn't say it's intolerable, since he has been doing it for the last 20 years. Would you say the last 20 Horner years have been intolerable?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote

Would you say the last 20 Horner years have been intolerable?

No. But in Avatar, excessive. Ah! you guys are tempting me again and again to speak about this score even though i decided not to speak of it. God! help me. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    TOY STORY/TOY STORY 2 - in 3D

Wow! great animation movie. After having horrible nightmare with Avatar 3D, this one was great relief for me. Of course, this was old one but still great. Several weeks ago, i had wish that i could see these both movie in theater. Wow! i never thought i would be seeing in 3D. Oh! yes, i bought 1 ticket and watched 2 movies in 3D.

These are my all time favorite Disney animation movie. I was extremely delighted in watching it in 3D. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote

You "adore" Apocalypto.
    You "hate" Avatar.

Very odd!

Think of it as disappointment and a missed opportunity. Considering the magnitude of the project and how much time Horner spent on it, I can understand why people get disappointed when they finally hear it and it sounds exactly like something they've heard before.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote

You "adore" Apocalypto.
    You "hate" Avatar.

Very odd!

AVATAR is full of sweeping thematic statements, bold orchestrations and thick arrangement whilst Apocalypto is primal percussion, dark and hostile, with raw orchestrations and a more minimalistic approach. Open your ears. AVATAR's score fits the movie and its genre completely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sunil wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Would you say the last 20 Horner years have been intolerable?

No. But in Avatar, excessive. Ah! you guys are tempting me again and again to speak about this score even though i decided not to speak of it. God! help me. biggrin

You must learn how to cope with such things from Jordi. He hasn't spoken about the German composer, at least directly, for some time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

Indeed. Indeed. Indeed. Indeed. Indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Sunil wrote
    If i like Apocalypto, so, that mean i should like all the scores which sounds like Apocalypto. My dear Friend, Apocalypto is historical/fiction/action flick but Avatar is sci-fi/fantasy, at least for that sake, he should have adapted new style of composing music.

If AVATAR is nothing but a copy of APOCALYPTO, it sounds like I should have enjoyed APOCALYPTO more than I did at the time.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Indeed. Indeed. Indeed. Indeed. Indeed.

Indeed smile James, didn't you remember the warnings about this film from earlier this year ? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The Fountain

A weird film, but extremely beautiful. Intellectual or pretentious, I don't care, I found it quite an experience. I couldn't even understand it, but I guess I'll have to mull it over. I'm sure it can be interpreted in various ways. Strong acting performances, especially by Rachel Weisz. I just realized after watching this movie that she's my favourite actress. I've also fallen in love with Mansell's score. It's minimalistic, rock-influenced, hypnotic, and simplistic, but it just works so incredibly well, better than any other score of this nature I've ever heard.

Rated this movie 7 out of 10 on imdb.
    My rating for the score is ***** out of 5.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I made it 15 minutes into that movie and turned it off! But the score is outstanding!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very influential, sentimental and emotional. An experience that sticks in your mind and heart for long time. And the music is friggin brilliant.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ I made it 15 minutes into that movie and turned it off! But the score is outstanding!

-Erik-

I admired the ambition of the filmmaker, but I giggled far too often to come close to crying when I was clearly meant to. Awkward film.
    I must admit, the use of the score's 3 note motif was one of the reasons for the giggling!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On your last sentence....Why? The score's Mansell's best work to date; you'll be amazed by how greatly and instantly it captures my students' / people who aren't familiar with film music yet - attention with its beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It captures my imagination with its banality. Emperor's new clothes.