• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    I took my little sister to see Despicable Me at the weekend and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. Brilliant stuff. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    Watched Madhouse with Vincent Price and Peter Cushing. Amazing to me how two fine actors can improve a cheesy AI picture.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    LSH wrote
    I took my little sister to see Despicable Me at the weekend and we both enjoyed it thoroughly. Brilliant stuff. smile

Nice, must see this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think I'm becoming obscure in my film selections
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I think I'm becoming obscure in my film selections

Nah! I've seen Madhouse Tom smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. We just saw Toy Story 3. While I would say it's good, I was disappointed with it. Perhaps that's because everyone I've heard talk about it has said nothing but great things about it. But I have several complaints with it. First, it's not a kids movie. This will not be a problem for those of you not watching it with your 1 and 3 year old children, but it was kind of a problem for us. Becoming obsolete to the one person you care about most is not exactly a theme kids can or should be able to resonate with. Nor that they [spoiler]end up in a horrible daycare run by a totalitarian toy mafia that resorts to brainwash, torture, imprisonment, and solitary confinement to beat down all the toys there and subject them to rule by a completely heartless stuffed pink bear. [/spoiler] My kids were either bored or scared by a lot of this film. My second problem: the plot is a bit thin. The entire film is no more than a jail break. Problem 3: recycled elements. Toys leave the house, they have to get back before a big move, of course they figure out a way for Buzz to revert to his spaceman self again, woody tries to convince all the toys of something they won't believe but he ends up being right, and the theme of never leaving anyone behind shows up again. The end didn't pack the emotional punch I was expecting, either. Don't get me wrong, I still liked the end. But after all I'd heard I was really expecting more.

I really did enjoy the film, though. This is all just reaction to what I've heard from others. The film is very funny, and the new characters are all great. In the end, though, I wouldn't say this film was as satisfying as Toy Story 2, or as important as Toy Story 1. I think I personally would put this film toward the bottom of Pixar's output, which is still better than the average film by a mile.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010 edited
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao

I love this short film so much biggrin
    Watch it. You won't regret it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010 edited
    christopher wrote
    We just saw Toy Story 3. While I would say it's good, I was disappointed with it. Perhaps that's because everyone I've heard talk about it has said nothing but great things about it. But I have several complaints with it. First, it's not a kids movie. This will not be a problem for those of you not watching it with your 1 and 3 year old children, but it was kind of a problem for us.

It was no problem for me. My boy just turned 4 years old loved when he saw it and even though he saw it on opening day and hasn't seen it since can't stop talking about it! I thought it was a magnificent end to the trilogy! Yes, there were some more adult themes in the picture but overall it's an excellent film for young and old!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. It has a lot better ending than I thought it was going to have! I would have been just as happy if the film had finished when they [spoiler]all accepted their fate at the recycling plant.[/spoiler] Now THAT may have been a hard life-lesson for the younger ones!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    I agree with Christopher and I thought it was one of the weaker Pixar films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I didn't really like Toy story 1 and 2 much, but the 3rd one had a big impact and I got all emotional at the end. But I agree that it has several themes that children won't understand, which has been true for several Pixar movies of course. Still, they've made the movie both for children and their parents, and it's not just meant as a children's movie.

Peter smile

PS. The doll was mega-scary, even to an adult like me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I loved Big Baby. Excellent character and thoroughly scary, indeed!
    Overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot (a lot more than part 2 at any rate) but the overly long and cheesy ending was pure schmaltz. Sentimental I would not have minded (in fact, I'm a sucker for that), but this was just annoyingly cutesey and very much against the grain of the rest of the film.

And I can't see how anyone sees a "definite" ending in this?
    Roll on "Toy Story: The Next Generation" (mark my words!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The toys are with a different kid...let the franchise continue!
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    It has a lot better ending than I thought it was going to have! I would have been just as happy if the film had finished when they [spoiler]all accepted their fate at the recycling plant.[/spoiler] Now THAT may have been a hard life-lesson for the younger ones!!

That's funny. At that point in the film my wife turned to me and said, "Wow! It looks like they've made sure there won't be any more sequels!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    I thought Toy Story 3 is a great sequel... it very much relies on the greatness of previous movies and beloved characters. I'm not saying it's not good. I loved it. It's a perfect gift from Pixar to us, who loved and grew up with those toys. But as one movie, How To Train Your Dragon should receive much more recognition.

christopher wrote
    First, it's not a kids movie. This will not be a problem for those of you not watching it with your 1 and 3 year old children, but it was kind of a problem for us. Becoming obsolete to the one person you care about most is not exactly a theme kids can or should be able to resonate with. Nor that they [spoiler]end up in a horrible daycare run by a totalitarian toy mafia that resorts to brainwash, torture, imprisonment, and solitary confinement to beat down all the toys there and subject them to rule by a completely heartless stuffed pink bear. [/spoiler] My kids were either bored or scared by a lot of this film.

I don't think kids necessarily need to resonate with themes, or understand everything in a movie. I don't think little kids can understand everything in Miyazaki's Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind, or British animation Watership Down, but I know many of them can enjoy those movies just to see the girl on the cool flying vehicle or the fluffy rabbits with a funny gull. Even if they're scared (and traumatized) by the giant insects running over the Earth or the bloody General Woundwort. Such experiences aren't bad for them (or me in the past wink)... and it's great to discover those movies later when they grow up.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good idea bunny
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Alien

on blu-ray. Two words: absolutely stunning !! This is the definitive version of the film, and the guys having done the remastering should be proud.

Kung Fu Panda

sleep vomit

I was more interested in dozing off than watching it. I guess the kid in me didn't like it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Kung Fu Panda

sleep vomit

I was more interested in dozing off than watching it. I guess the kid in me didn't like it.

Too bad... I thought Kung Fu Panda was spectacular!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I enjoyed it too! Undoubtedly my favourite Dreamworks animation (though still some way short of Pixar's worst - and admittedly I haven't seen How to T Your D, which everyone loves).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Didn't enjoy Kung Fu Panda but I'm hoping How To Train Your Dragon lives up to the hyp.e
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I thought Kung Fu Panda was a real miss. Waiting for How to train your dragon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kung Fu Panda was hilarious! Excellent story. Lots of heart. Great voice actors. Superb action sequences. It was a really, really good movie. The sequel comes out nexy summer.

How To Train Your Dragon blows everything out of the water! It is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite films!

-Erik-
  5. I really enjoyed Kung Fu Panda as well. I thought it was really funny, and very well done. I like HtTyD more. These two are the best Dreamworks has done, imo. I think I still like Pixar's best more than these, but not by much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Tonight it will be Starman for me, the film that got John Carpenter started.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Tonight it will be Starman for me, the film that got John Carpenter started.
    Thomas

Not HALLOWEEN? Starman was later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    i was wrong
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the theme to Starman.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I just rewatched Kung Fu Panda today. I still think it is the best computer animated film to come out of Dreamworks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not seen it but it doesn't help that Jack Black irritates me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He irritates the hell out of me too, it's about tastes i guess. The fat panda was an animated Jack Black in all essence and maybe that's why i didn't like the film?