• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    "There’s a dull predictability to the set pieces; when you see a topless para-skier bob in-and-out of the water, it’s inevitable that she’ll rise into the air without any legs. "
    Sums up the whole movie i guess wink

Pretty much, mate. Pretty much. wink
    (Except I really didn't find it dull. Predictable in many ways, but then an eighties'teenage-monster-horror movie is SUPPOSED to be, innit?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Unstoppable

Uninspired movie with an uninspired score. Or an uninspired score for an uninspired movie. Anyway.....uninspired.

Saw a free (luckily) preview and I was underwhelmed. I'm fed up with HGW's repetitive, boring thriller scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Unstoppable

Uninspired movie with an uninspired score. Or an uninspired score for an uninspired movie. Anyway.....uninspired.

Saw a free (luckily) preview and I was underwhelmed. I'm fed up with HGW's repetitive, boring thriller scores.

Maybe you should demand compensation for giving up your free time?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I want compensation for the cheesy chips I bought.

Since when is cheese poured from a ladel? vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not a fan of cheese fondue then, are you, Ant?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Last time I looked Fondue didn't involve chips ( I've only had Fondue once, all set up on a table in a lodge somewhere in the French alps....it was delicious lick ), cheesy chips would just be grated cheese sprinkled over chips and left to melt over the heat of the chips.

Luvverly! lick Ant, whoever ladelled cheese over your chips is one dirty mo'fo!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Grated cheese over chips...that wont just clog your arteries. It'll cement them shut. slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lick

The best I've had were at Reading Festival. :clogged-artery-death:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Grated cheese over chips...that wont just clog your arteries. It'll cement them shut. slant

Chips are healthier than fries....but yeah, drift....got.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HGW needs a change. Look what he did for PRINCE OF PERSIA, loved it. Enough with the same and same ol Tony Scott thrillers.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    I saw The Ghost Writer this weekend after a long break from movies and music. A very nice thriller that kept me entertained till the end. It seemed like a Hitchcock film with modern sensibilities.
    The Desplat music is a winner! The movie is book-ended with awesomeness. It's a thrill to hear him throwing restraint to the winds. I kept watching the last few minutes over and over. I don't see much mention of this score these days. I've hardly heard a couple of scores this year but I'll pick it as my favorite for the awards season. The music made such a big impact in the movie.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    HGW needs a change. Look what he did for PRINCE OF PERSIA, loved it. Enough with the same and same ol Tony Scott thrillers.

What about Metal Gear Solid 4 from 2008? I think he did a good job there. I like the action cues, as well as the calmer ones.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BhelPuri wrote
    I saw The Ghost Writer this weekend after a long break from movies and music. A very nice thriller that kept me entertained till the end. It seemed like a Hitchcock film with modern sensibilities.
    The Desplat music is a winner! The movie is book-ended with awesomeness. It's a thrill to hear him throwing restraint to the winds. I kept watching the last few minutes over and over. I don't see much mention of this score these days. I've hardly heard a couple of scores this year but I'll pick it as my favorite for the awards season. The music made such a big impact in the movie.

I agree, and we're not the only ones on the forum here. You may have missed the lots of positive opinions on Desplats music. I voted for it for the Public Choice Award (WSA) and it also is nominated for the European Film Awards. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What about Metal Gear Solid 4 from 2008? I think he did a good job there. I like the action cues, as well as the calmer ones.
    i am not familiar with the score
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    I saw The Ghost Writer ...
    I don't see much mention of this score these days....

I agree, and we're not the only ones on the forum here. You may have missed the lots of positive opinions on Desplats music. I voted for it for the Public Choice Award (WSA) and it also is nominated for the European Film Awards. smile

Ah! I missed those posts. I'm glad that it has been received well. I will buy the score very soon. Just holding our for as long as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010
    Martijn wrote

If my doctor even thought I ate shit like that anymore he'd have me committed.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for the second time. The story is good from two sides. #1 is what is missing from the book and the film is strong enough that seeing it with sub-titles is not disturbing at all.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All the tasty stuff is bad for you. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I really do eat well I just watch carefully what I put in my mouth.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "You know you're getting old when you're finally able to afford all those things you like...
    ...but the doctor says you can't have 'em!"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    "You know you're getting old when you're finally able to afford all those things you like...
    ...but the doctor says you can't have 'em!"

We can still eat healthy....mash without butter/cream, pizza without cheese topping, boiled chicken, boiled fish, all with no fancy toppings, nuts without salt, pitta breads filled with salad and no meats.............

boring innit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited
    Watching Conan The Barbarian as I prep by next radio show...

I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE. The opening 20 minutes is brilliant film making. Great cinematography and of course the score is pitch perfect. I have a soft spot for the fantasy genre. Man, I forgot about the Wolf Witch! That's one crazy chick!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE.

Really? shocked
    Crikey...
  2. The score can sometimes totally make a film, especially if you grew up with it.

Never saw Conan myself when I was a kid, or I did and forgot about it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The score outshines the film by several lightyears (in my opinion at least).
    Saw the movie in, I think, '84 or '85, and once again, much later.
    Both times I thought that -aside from the classic lavish De Laurentiis production values and James Earl Jones being Darth Vaderishly evil- the film was absolutely atrocious (although it arguably wasn't worse than the flux of fantasy films of those days).

That said, I've always had a massive preference/soft spot for The Beast Master.
    Tells you about my tastes... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I. LOVE. THIS. MOVIE.

Really? shocked
    Crikey...

I'm about 40 minutes into it and I'm enjoying the piss out of it! I like the slow pace but then again I also love the slow pace of Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Oooooooooooh... the Civilization Theme.... soooooooo gooooooooood!

And Conan punches a camel! That's 5 stars right there!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    "Conan the barbarian" is a classic. It's up there alongside movies like "The teminator" and "Predator". The music is also very prominent, which basically makes it a kind of MTV for film score geeks.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would rate Terminator far higher than Conan in the Schwartzenegger oeuvre (but then I think Cameron is a far more taut director than Milius).

plindboe wrote
    The music is also very prominent, which basically makes it a kind of MTV for film score geeks.

VERY good point! beer
    It is. It really is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just saw Skyline. I'm surprised it's so hated, because it pretty much delivered all the trailer promised and more, i.e. great effects and impressive alien designs. Sure, the actors aren't all that, and the story is simplistic, but this movie was about the CGI, and I think it delivers.

Rated it a 7 outta 10 on imdb.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    I was watching the "making of" extra for Conan The Barbarian as a prelude to watching the film - for the first time.

Some of the scenes look very cinematic indeed. I liked the quote of the film being "psychopathic Star Wars" (a quote from a newspaper film reviewer.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn