• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I love Face/Off actually. The only time a John Woo movie actually RESEMBLES a John Woo movie. I also love The Rock, the only decent Bay film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011 edited
    Doesn't matter, it's still shit.

yeah biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I love Face/Off actually. The only time a John Woo movie actually RESEMBLES a John Woo movie. I also love The Rock, the only decent Bay film.

The Rock, I dislike it intensely. What makes you love it Pawel?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I love Face/Off actually. The only time a John Woo movie actually RESEMBLES a John Woo movie. I also love The Rock, the only decent Bay film.

I enjoy watching The Rock. Both for the music and as a tourist (I fell in love with San Francisco when I visited) and I enjoy seeing the landmarks.
    shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011
    I love San Francisco too Alan but I get a much better fix from Clint Eastwood films like DIRTY HARRY, ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ etc than tosh like The Rock.
  3. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The fact that it actually tells a story and has very good acting for a Michael Bay movie. I think it's the only time when his kinetic style actually propels a story an is properly edited (maybe except the car chase in the middle) to give some decent information. I reviewed it on my blog already.

I also had and still have a passion for special ops unit, so to me the whole story regarding rogue Marines and the whole SEAL insertion was also a hoot. And it remains one for me all the time. In the end I think it's far better than the Kurt Russell vehicle called Executive Decision (with one of Jerry Goldsmith's way lesser scores), where the only decent scene was [spoiler]Steven Seagal's demise[/spoiler].
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...where Steven Seagal dies! Yeah, I'm all for that wink

p.s. I haven't looked at your spoiler but it can only be that biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Devil Bat, a 1940 low budget horror film with Bela Lugosi. One of the best low budget films I've ever seen.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote

Haha! That was the highlight.
  4. omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote

Haha! That was the highlight.

no, the highlight for me was the sleeper agent moment at the end. It's a cool movie all the same, and shows you early on it is not standard stuff (by letting Steven Seagal die wink )
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. I can't believe all the hate for Executive Decision. My nerves were literally on the verge of bursting at the end. So suspenseful, so immensely satisfying when they finally overtake the plane. And the whole planning and execution was a hoot to watch. I think a lot of credit of maintaining the suspense is due to Jerry, he did an awesome job although his score isn't that memorable at the end of the day, I still think it has some killer cues that work tremendously for the enjoyment of the film.

But I've always had a soft spot for these 'the heroes save the day in spectacular fashion' type of movies, that were so common in the 80s and 90s.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011
    Eh! I don't see ANY hate for Executive Decision, just joy at seeing Steven Seagal get offed early on. all the scorn was directed at Michael Bays crappy films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011 edited
    Michael Bay doesn't make crappy films, there's an audience for them, I belong to that audience...

I actually have a great time each time with Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon, The Island and Transformers. I even like Pearl Harbor.

Is it great intellectual film making? No.

Is it great popcorn film making? Hell yes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And it's your perogative to enjoy what ever the hell you like wink

"Michael Bays crappy films" shall I add In My Opinion tongue biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011 edited
    I have it on good authority ( apparantly ) that Simon Cowell produces great pop music.
  6. Timmer wrote
    And it's your perogative to enjoy what ever the hell you like wink

"Michael Bays crappy films" shall I add In My Opinion tongue biggrin

IMO = one of the best abbreviations ever. IMHO of course. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not Humble! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Eh! I don't see ANY hate for Executive Decision, just joy at seeing Steven Seagal get offed early on. all the scorn was directed at Michael Bays crappy films.

Well, allow me to provide some hate for Executive Decision. The score must be one of Goldsmith's bottom ten but by a factor of, well, infinity, it is the finest thing in that god-awful shitfest. (Though it is better than most Michael Bay or John Woo films, admittedly.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
  7. I'm not even going to bother answering to that. shocked
  8. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, allow me to provide some hate for Executive Decision. The score must be one of Goldsmith's bottom ten but by a factor of, well, infinity, it is the finest thing in that god-awful shitfest. (Though it is better than most Michael Bay or John Woo films, admittedly.)

you know what's the worst thing of that? That so called bottom ten score has themes and depth today's top scores seem to lack. Meaning the weakest of Goldsmith are still 10 times richer and better than today's top scores of several composers
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think the score is actually pretty good in the film. It gives it an air of respectability that a vacuous 2011 action score wouldn't. I never listen to the album though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Michael Bay doesn't make crappy films, there's an audience for them, I belong to that audience...

There's an audience for 2 girls 1 cup as well. That doesn't mean it's not crap.

My problem with a movie like Armageddon are the ridiculous leaps of logic (who brings machine guns to an asteroid?), the ridiculous science (flying in space as if there's air; experiencing normal gravity on an asteroid; fire burning in vacuum), the countless clichés and just plain embarrassing scenes ("Colonel Willie Sharp United States Air Force Ma'am. Requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met." <- all while saluting vomit ).

Don't get me wrong, I like stupid popcorn movies probably more than most people. But Michael Bay movies are just so intensively stupid that I end up shaking my head in disbelief and facepalming during the entire experience.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011
    Lately I've been watching Monogram films and last night I saw The Ape (1940) starring Boris Karloff. The only thing good that I can say about this one is Karloff.
    Tom sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    The Ape is a terrible quicky...as were most Monograms.
    Even with my love for old films I hardly ever properly enjoy any of those.

Watched The Devil Is A Woman, starring Marlene Dietrich and directed by Joseph von Sternberg.
    The duo is VERY clearly trying to pull an Americanised Die Blaue Engel (same director, same leading lady, same theme), but aside from the gorgeous photography and the lavish costumes, this film doesn't reach that kind of high by a mile. Even the stunning Dietrich, looking beautiful, doesn't do much more than pout her way through a slightly more sanitised Spanish version of Blaue Engel's Lola (Marlene Dietrich? As a SPANIARD? Ehhhhhhh...... dizzy Vell, a European by any ozzer name, yah?)

3 stars out of 5 for curiosity value.
    The score was pretty much stock music, with a smattering of Granados' lovely Oriental from his 12 Danzas Españolas.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    The Ape is a terrible quicky...as were most Monograms.
    Even with my love for old films I hardly ever properly enjoy any of those.

Karloff was the draw that got me to see it. I'm also sure that is what Monogram had in mind also when they churned out another picture.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Midnight Phantom (1935) was my choice last night from Reliable Pictures Corp. This murder mystery was actually fairly well done and the print considering the age was excellent.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    The Bad Lieutenant

Wonderfully demented film about a policeman's descent into corruption caused by his drug addiction. Nicolas Cage is fantastic - completely deranged. Good-sounding score by Isham.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011
    I watched the Eurovision Song Contest last night shame

The winning song from Azerbijan was appalling.

A nutty performance from Moldova was my choice to win it and the Irish entry from pop egits JEDWARD was ermmm...very catchy, sounded like a song that Katy Perry would sing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2011
    The Shadow Strikes (1937). A very early on film in the well played character.
    Tom