• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just watched a fond tribute to Doctor Who assistant, Elisabeth Sladen on CBBC. Some great memories of "my Doctor Who assistant".

Elisabeth Sladen, R.I.P.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2011
    Damn! I missed that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Saturday night has taken an unexpected turn: now watching Carry On Cleo!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    Completed watching the fourth Mr. Wong in the series called "The Fatal Hour"
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011 edited
    The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3

Superb thriller with a lot of wit. Unlike the remake.

The Blind Side

I had no idea what this was about before watching it. Mawkish but very watchable. Is the Burwell score on CD?
  3. Unstoppable

Pleasantly surprised by this, especially because the chemistry between Chris Pine and Denzel Washington works incredibly well. Typical Tony Scott movie though, with constant camera movements and a dull if effective musical score. The train sequences are spectacular though and bring forth realism that heightens the effect of the movie.

As said Denzel and Pine make the movie

7 out of 10

----------------------

Buried

I had a feeling the movie would end the way it did, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. The claustrophobic effect alone made me gasp several times and the innovative camera work and suspenseful score added extra tension on an already terrifying story. Perhaps all a bit too overblown, but it surely kept me interested

7 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Southall wrote
    The Blind Side

I had no idea what this was about before watching it. Mawkish but very watchable. Is the Burwell score on CD?

Sandra Bullock is incredible punk

I don't think Burwell score's is available, I saw a bootleg once though. Trust me, it's better in the movie!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Unstoppable

This bored me and my wife to tears!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011
    Sherlock Holmes

I thought this got better as it went on. It was a fine performance from Downey but the character seemed to be written as half Jack Sparrow and half James Bond (from the Roger Moore era) rather than being written as Sherlock Holmes. I thought the score gave every impression of having been composed by someone who had never seen the film or read the script. I presume that sequels are on the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited
    Les choristes

Very good movie. Music is stunning. I found the ending a bit lackluster.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No country for old men

Very entertaing movie with an excellent psychopath. [spoiler]Was a big letdown when the "hero" was killed though and the movie seemed rather aimless thereafter.[/spoiler] Perhaps I'm too used to traditional Hollywood story-telling techniques and endings not to appreciate when a movie departs from this predictable mold. [spoiler]I just find an ending where the character I'm emotionally invested in gets snuffed off off-screen disappointing and it basically ends with old geezers complaining about how the world has gone astray.[/spoiler] Of course I might have missed something in the ending due to the heavy american accents.

Rating: 7

Burn after reading

Funny movie with hilarious characters. Brad Pitt = Excellent. Burwell's score is also excellent here and there, kinda minimalistic, but great to listen to whenever it's playing.

Fargo

Unique movie. Burwell's theme is awesome.

Rating: 8

Peter smile
  5. plindboe wrote
    Burn after reading

Funny movie with hilarious characters. Brad Pitt = Excellent. Burwell's score is also excellent here and there, kinda minimalistic, but great to listen to whenever it's playing.

Indeed it is, the funny thing is I didn't get the humour until the second time I watched it. The ending with the clueless government agents had me rolling on the floor. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011
    Hehe, indeed, it's pure comedy, built around great characters and actors. I felt bad about the gym manager though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011
    The Sleeping Cardinal a very early sound Sherlock Holmes based on his short story The Empty House
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    The Monster That Challenged The World (1957) with score by Heinz Roemheld. Anyone know for what film he got the Oscar without looking it up? I'm working on the review.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No I don't?!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Very interesting film. First time viewing for me. Though I'm not interesting in watching it again anytime soon, I admire it for its creativity and originality.
  6. Saw these two once again, and it's always a pleasure...

Donnie Darko

Weird but in a wonderful way. The ending is what makes the film so good IMO.

In the Name of the Father

Brilliant film-making. Daniel Day-Lewis in one of his all-time great roles.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A superb turn from Pete Postlethwait too.
  7. Yep. Bless his soul.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    The Monster That Challenged The World (1957) with score by Heinz Roemheld. Anyone know for what film he got the Oscar without looking it up? I'm working on the review.
    Tom

Yankee Doodle Dandy is the answer to the question
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Whaaaa? Surely that was a musical almost solely based on traditional material? Or not?
    This IS the Jimmy Cagney vehicle we're talking about, isn't it?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Sicko

Of course there were elements of propaganda, given that it's a Michael Moore documentary, but it had several real life examples as well. In any case I'm glad I don't live in America. It really seems scary and heartless that system considering how some people are treated (or untreated more like it). The red scare is still alive and well in America, which would help to explain why these obvious problems haven't been changed.

My rating: 8

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Interview with the vampire

Funny that I saw this movie before I knew about Kirsten Dunst, Antonio Banderas or Stephen Rea so I never realized they were in it even though I remembered their characters, until I recently rewatched it. In any case a very good movie.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Red Corner

I think I remember, from my Star Trek viewing days, an episode of Deep Space Nine where someone (Chief O'Brien?) wakes up in a cell, not remembering what has happened, and finds that he is accused of a crime for which he will be found guilty (the verdict is pre-determined, the trial just for show) but of which he has no recollection.

Anyway, this film is rather similar, only it's three times as long and instead of Chief O'Brien it's Richard Gere and instead of the Cardassians it's the Chinese.

Nice Thomas Newman score, though - not one I listen to very often, but I always enjoy it when I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011
    Southall wrote
    Red Corner

Nice Thomas Newman score, though - not one I listen to very often, but I always enjoy it when I do.

Same here. Had an extraordinary theme, and even the simplistic tension material is worth a listen.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    THOR

I FECKING LOVED IT! GREAT GREAT FUN!!!

Shame about the score though, it was very generic RC type stuff that was big and wallpapery, one or two bits stood out but not enough for me to want to listen to it on CD or whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Sicko

Of course there were elements of propaganda, given that it's a Michael Moore documentary, but it had several real life examples as well. In any case I'm glad I don't live in America. It really seems scary and heartless that system considering how some people are treated (or untreated more like it). The red scare is still alive and well in America, which would help to explain why these obvious problems haven't been changed.

Of course Moore finds the extreme examples but the government assisted Medicare I'm on has major holes.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Black Sunday to see how the video coordinated with the audio. An awful movie even though it had Barbara Steele.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Going to watch another episode of Life On Mars
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011
    I watched a film called "The Scar" (1948) with Paul Henreid who also produced it. Joan Bennett also starred. Two people that looked alike is the story.The soundtrack from Sol Kaplan was really quite good. You can watch it on internet archive for free on your computer as the film is in public domain. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that he smoked one right after another.
    Tom smile