• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. plindboe wrote
    Just finished watching Lost. I'm glad I stuck with it even though I found it way too slow and frustrating at times.

Funny how much one becomes attached to the characters from watching such a long TV show. It will be very weird to see these actors in anything else.

Peter smile

wow, you really raced through this. Glad you liked it till the end.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011
    Thanks. Took me a couple of weeks to watch them all. Only episode I missed was episode 17, season 1. Wondering whether I should watch it.

Only characters I didn't really like were Charlie, Claire, Kate, Daniel and Charlotte. Other than that I fell for them all. Not that they were all great actors, but they had alot of charisma.

Btw, the number of babies born in this series must be around 10 or something. They kept spewing them out all over the place. Emotional manipulation at its finest. I'm a sucker though; I get tears in my eyes every time the baby is handed to the mother.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011
    Charlotte is the most annoying character i've ever seen.

What did you think of the whole thing Peter, and the ending? Loved it personally.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited
    Battle:la

At the cinema.

I have no words.

In fact, i think i jus t burn3 d everi single c3ll1 in maih brainn........%,3509.........$_%)5.........450-9450-gjkfdg.......l;kgf;djfglkdfglkjmdv,dfslkd;gjkfjdhlmd,,m.,poputoiuetjslgnmv.,xcmb.,mcxvgjpsoitpoeitpjlkgnxcbn.nxc.,mvx;lkdcpskipotieg,mxf,............rpikjgtipbnd..............
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011
    ...you loved it then?! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Seeing how D hated it obviously, it should be a movie for me then...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

But what a gorgeous name. wink

Christodoulides wrote
    What did you think of the whole thing Peter, and the ending? Loved it personally.

Lost Sucks!

biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Seeing how D hated it obviously, it should be a movie for me then...

I liked too. People are overreacting. It's a war movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I liked too. People are overreacting. It's a war movie.

It's not a war movie. I love war movies. This is absolute shite. It's a retarded parade of meaningless effect, non-stop, head-ache inducing and with absolutely no reasoning behind it at all. It concentrates all what's so wrong with the bad aspect of Hollywood, i.e. directors that have no idea about cinema, with a shitload of money in their hands. Wasted time, awful, truly awful.

DreamTheater wrote

Yeah i'd say it's perhaps as bad as the rest of your favorite movies then wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Last night I watched Ridley Scott's ROBIN HOOD

oh dear oh dear oh dear, this film is just so damn bad and I don't mean good bad, just bad bad.

WHY did Russell Crowe speak in a ( very bad ) "Oirish" accent?

WHY were most of the main characters Irish?

WHY did the French have WW II style D-Day landing craft?

WHY did Ridley Scott make this ( curiously bloodless? ) film?

WHY did I watch this version which was 16 minutes longer than the cinema release?

.....I could go on rolleyes slant

The GOOD...

...erm??? About half of the score was okay and then that bane of modern film scoring showed up, the wailing middle Eastern women giving it large in medieval England vomit

I can't think of anything else good to say except that I'll never watch it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Will Ridley ever make another Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise or Gladiator?

Robin Hood is one of those films where I will have to force myself to watch it. Interest is pretty much at zero level.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Will Ridley ever make another Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise or Gladiator?

Robin Hood is one of those films where I will have to force myself to watch it. Interest is pretty much at zero level.

Don't bother, watch something good instead, surely there's a multitude of older, great films you've not seen?

As for Ridley, his next film is an ALIEN prequal, I think it's called PROMETHEOUS? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't help but have high expectations for it.
  5. Yes, 'Prometheus' is the current title for the new Ridley Scott Alien film. I've been hearing really good things about it, apparently the sets are mind blowing. It will be great to see a large scale Sci-fi shot on humungous real sets rather than all green screen. Very interested to see how this turns out.
  6. "Hearing good things about it"

Ridley Scott doing an Alien backstory/prequel movie is enough for it to be good news. We will see if the resulting film meets the expectations.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DreamTheater wrote
    Will Ridley ever make another Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise or Gladiator?

I've managed to avoid this Hollywood crap.
    listen to more classical music!
  7. sdtom wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

What crap? The 4 films I posted? Because they're anything BUT crap. They're all pretty much sublime.
  8. John Chambers wrote
    Yes, 'Prometheus' is the current title for the new Ridley Scott Alien film. I've been hearing really good things about it, apparently the sets are mind blowing. It will be great to see a large scale Sci-fi shot on humungous real sets rather than all green screen. Very interested to see how this turns out.

So that's what Prometheus is? I didn't forget that Ridley was doing the Alien prequel but I didn't realize production had started or that's the name for it.

Will be interesting to see if he still has it in him to deliver another slow moving, yet visually astounding and gripping sci-fi horror. Maybe another benchmark for the genre, though I shouldn't keep my hopes up of course. Hollywood isn't what it once was.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    sdtom wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

What crap? The 4 films I posted? Because they're anything BUT crap. They're all pretty much sublime.

Two exceptional, one very good and the other was Gladiator. I think Gladiator has some great set pieces but it's such an uneven film, I'd give it 3/10.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Yes, 'Prometheus' is the current title for the new Ridley Scott Alien film. I've been hearing really good things about it, apparently the sets are mind blowing. It will be great to see a large scale Sci-fi shot on humungous real sets rather than all green screen. Very interested to see how this turns out.

Real sets? I must admit that I can't help drooling at the prospect of Scott returning to sci-fi and ALIEN to boot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Two exceptional, one very good and the other was Gladiator. I think Gladiator has some great set pieces but it's such an uneven film, I'd give it 3/10.

Seriously, that's not the general thinking on this film... I remember when it came out how everyone and their dog wanted to go see it, and loved it. It revived a long lost genre in such a way I believed we would see a lot more of those heroic tales. But that didn't take off.

Whatever your opinion is Tim, Gladiator for me is real filmmaking art. To transport me to that world and era, to make me cheer at the good guys, and make me loathe the bad guys. And to make me feel emotionally devastated when the end credits appear, and amazed by all the majesty that came before it. It's a real masterpiece IMO, and this isn't my bad taste talking... a lot of people actually see it that way. Oh and the score's one of Zimmer's best, so that aspect certainly did some good in my book. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good for you gilles, I don't want to piss on your enjoyment of it. I went to see it when it came out too and I enjoyed it at the time, big spectacle on the big screen etc but it just didn't connect with me, I didn't feel for the characters and the score is as disjointed as the film.

Real film making art? I could go through a very VERY long list of films where I feel the art of film making is at it's sublime best and I don't think Gladiator would figure in it.

A MASSIVE hit, I know, and I don't understand why.
  9. A massive hit, because the film did connect to many people, and still does... You can't deny the acting and character dialogue which are first rate, though?
  10. Trivia Corner: Gladiator was my first DVD purchase. Was amazed at the picture quality that DVD brought to the home. I don't think that I have watched it since.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

Not as annoying as Claire constantly screaming "My baby!!!". That chick had hysterical fits in half of her scenes, and the worst thing is that she wasn't really a good actor when she was playing highly emotional scenes.

Christodoulides wrote

I thought it was very good. I got emotionally attached to the characters and interested in the story. It's very rare to get a show where the characters are complex and 3-dimensional, instead of the good/evil dichotomy found in most film and TV productions these days. I thought Locke was a fascinating character, and the way he speaks and acts is very addictive. I could say the exact same words about Ben. Seeing them and hearing them talk is like a drug. I also liked Jack. When I saw the first episode I sarcastically thought "Oh great, another no-talent, prettyboy typical of american TV productions", but I really started liking him after a few episodes. Oh, and Sawyer's nicknames were hilarious ("Jabba" and "Eyeliner" were favourites). And the gorgeous Juliet and her unintentionally smug smile I found highly addictive to look at.

I liked some of the twists as well, for instance when it's revealed that [spoiler]Locke was dead and that the smoke monster had taken on his form[/spoiler]. I got a bit tired of the flashbacks at some point though. In the beginning they were important to get to know the characters better, but after a while they just started to become distractions from the main storyline. And I loathed the stories about Charlie and his band with that godawful song. Kate as a hardcore criminal seemed too far-fetched as well. About the ending I loved it. Very emotional stuff. [spoiler]With all the favourite characters together again, and when Jack was dying and the dog came to lie down next to him was very memorable and affecting. I kinda missed Michael at the end, but considering what he did it was understandable that they didn't include him.[/spoiler]

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Lost Sucks!

biggrin

-Erik-

That must be a trolling video because those reasons are really, really poor. I enjoyed "Lost" but I could easily come up with 10 more valid problems with Lost than the ones in that vid.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Lost Sucks!

biggrin

-Erik-

That must be a trolling video because those reasons are really, really poor. I enjoyed "Lost" but I could easily come up with 10 more valid problems with Lost than the ones in that vid.

Peter smile

It's just a goofy video with a lot of points that I agree with. Come on, you must have chuckled when you saw reason number 1 biggrin

Lost ,for me, had one spectacular season (season 1) a few solid seasons (2 and 3) and then got absolutely ridiculous from season 4 til the end. Season 5 sucked me back in but once we got into the alternate universe stuff in season 6 I had enough. The ending was weak and the long list of unanswered questions in unforgivable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Not as annoying as Claire constantly screaming "My baby!!!". That chick had hysterical fits in half of her scenes, and the worst thing is that she wasn't really a good actor when she was playing highly emotional scenes.

Christodoulides wrote

I thought it was very good. I got emotionally attached to the characters and interested in the story. It's very rare to get a show where the characters are complex and 3-dimensional, instead of the good/evil dichotomy found in most film and TV productions these days. I thought Locke was a fascinating character, and the way he speaks and acts is very addictive. I could say the exact same words about Ben. Seeing them and hearing them talk is like a drug. I also liked Jack. When I saw the first episode I sarcastically thought "Oh great, another no-talent, prettyboy typical of american TV productions", but I really started liking him after a few episodes. Oh, and Sawyer's nicknames were hilarious ("Jabba" and "Eyeliner" were favourites). And the gorgeous Juliet and her unintentionally smug smile I found highly addictive to look at.

I liked some of the twists as well, for instance when it's revealed that [spoiler]Locke was dead and that the smoke monster had taken on his form[/spoiler]. I got a bit tired of the flashbacks at some point though. In the beginning they were important to get to know the characters better, but after a while they just started to become distractions from the main storyline. And I loathed the stories about Charlie and his band with that godawful song. Kate as a hardcore criminal seemed too far-fetched as well. About the ending I loved it. Very emotional stuff. [spoiler]With all the favourite characters together again, and when Jack was dying and the dog came to lie down next to him was very memorable and affecting. I kinda missed Michael at the end, but considering what he did it was understandable that they didn't include him.[/spoiler]

Peter smile

Yeah, you're right Claire is more annoying ! Already forgot about that bitch biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, you're right Claire is more annoying ! Already forgot about that bitch biggrin

Really? Bitch? Was that necessary, D? slant

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also, now that you mentioned Claire......... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Really? Bitch? Is that necessary, D? slant

-Erik-

Yes