• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    The TV series isn't bad either but you probably never saw that Tim ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not at all, I just presumed it's a film and no more. Can you tell me a little or link me to some more information?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm about to watch Gibbo's EDGE OF DARKNESS, is it any good? Feel free to respond, I won't be back until it's over.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    The series aired around 1975 and was a big success with the viewers . Only a little bit of info on Wiki and here's the opening titles on Youtube . The series is available on DVD but doesn't have English subs unfortunately . It's a bit slower then the film and to some it will look dated , but it's nostalgia for me ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. In the middle of a Lalo Schifrin double bill on TCM. Dirty Harry just finished and Enter The Dragon just about to start.

Some quality scoring!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited
    edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    In the middle of a Lalo Schifrin double bill on TCM. Dirty Harry just finished and Enter The Dragon just about to start.

Some quality scoring!

A great double bill, and, coincidentally, also as a double bill the first 'X' films I ever saw at the cinema and in that order. i was 15 yrs old and went with my mate at that time who was 17, he bought the tickets because he had a moustache biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    Temple Grandin

Loved this. Claire Danes exceptional (I know, I know, saying that actors playing people with a mental disability are exceptional is so cliched - but she is). Really moving, inspirational. Martijn would hate it, probably franz_conrad would too. Alex Wurman's score is like Philip Glass filtered through James Horner and I WANT IT! (Not released, sadly.)

I too enjoyed this film sooooooooooo much. Such a refreshing change from the Hollywood BS.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched Wired last night and found it revolting. I enjoyed Simon's Homicide: Life on the Streets but not this crap. Very bad.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tonight it is going to be a BBC show Life on Mars. Looking forward to this.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I thought it was excellent Tom.

There are many references that will go wayyyyyyyyy over your head though, simply because of a lot of British TV/cultural stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Recount

Fascinating, well-made film about the legal wrangling surrounding the 2000 US Presidential election. Some of the stuff in it is jaw-dropping - though I do accept that a film made by Hollywood types starring Kevin Spacey may not be the most unbiased source of facts. Good score by Dave Grusin - one of only four he's done since the turn of the century.

I think you meant, sir, not that any film made by Hollywood types starring Kevin Spacey may not be the most unbiased source of facts, but that in particular this one - given that it's about George W. Bush etc - may not be. Thank you.
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    In the middle of a Lalo Schifrin double bill on TCM. Dirty Harry just finished and Enter The Dragon just about to start.

Some quality scoring!

A great double bill, and, coincidentally, also as a double bill the first 'X' films I ever saw at the cinema and in that order. i was 15 yrs old and went with my mate at that time who was 17, he bought the tickets because he had a moustache biggrin wink

I'm so pleased that the CD release of Enter The Dragon (the WB video gold disc release anyway) leaves off the vocals heard over part of the main title theme!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you now but when I was young those vocals added to the thrill of a Bruce Lee theme. punk cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    The series aired around 1975 and was a big success with the viewers . Only a little bit of info on Wiki and here's the opening titles on Youtube . The series is available on DVD but doesn't have English subs unfortunately . It's a bit slower then the film and to some it will look dated , but it's nostalgia for me ... wink

Thanks for the info Eric, a shame there's no subs as it's the kind of TV I enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    I thought it was excellent Tom.

There are many references that will go wayyyyyyyyy over your head though, simply because of a lot of British TV/cultural stuff.

I agree with your assessment about the culture. I was interested enough to want to see further episodes of it. If I'm correct the star of the show was also the partner of Martin Shaw on George Gently.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm afraid I've never seen George Gently.

As for LIFE ON MARS, I just loved it ( I think Martijn is a fan too ), a very good recreation of 70's Britain and it's cop shows ( Gene Hunt 'cockney rhyming slang-work it out' wink is based on the character Jack Reagen 'aka John Thaw' from TV cop show THE SWEENEY ) complete with people chain smoking, it's a real shame you won't get a lot of the in-jokes and irony concerning certain aspects, it's something where you'd really have to be very familiar with British television throughout the decades but I'm sure you'll get the gist of most of it.

The follow up series ASHES TO ASHES, set in the 80's is very good too and really heats up after a luke-warm start.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I watched Unstoppabzzzzzzzzzzzz..... last night. Boring and the score was dreadful!

-ERik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I watched Unstoppabzzzzzzzzzzzz..... last night. Boring and the score was dreadful!

-ERik-

Except for the odd hit like TRUE ROMANCE I've not been impressed ( actually, make that nearly all ) by most of Tony Scott's films.

Ridley too, is making a large headway into building a portfolio of crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I'm afraid I've never seen George Gently.

As for LIFE ON MARS, I just loved it ( I think Martijn is a fan too )

In my personal list of very best TV series EVER, Life On Mars has skyrocketed into the top 3, and may well in fact edge out the West Wing from the number one spot.
    I should really re-watch both.

Have to say I had no problem at all with any of the cultural references (but this may well be due to my inherent interest in Anglosaxon culture. Or it may simply have all SO gone over my head that I didn';t even notice I missed something. wink )

The follow up series LIFE ON MARS, set in the 80's is very good too and really heats up after a luke-warm start.

As a minute nitpick: I guess you meant to say Ashes To Ashes?
    (Haven't seen that one yet. I was really afraid it would destroy the power of the original!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shame ...and fixed rolleyes wink

ASHES TO ASHES gets very trippy but I loved it. Check it Martijn, I believe it's worth it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll watch another episode tonight and let you know.
    Thomas smile
  3. Have not watched it yet but just bought Monsters on DVD on the basis of reviews at the time of this sci-fi movie release. Was this a good move?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen it but I want to. Interestingly ( depending on your POV wink ) I was at the pub recently and two friends who'd seen this had directly opposing views and got into quite a debate which quickly descended into insult in that way only friends can get away with.

I've decided that I'll take your confirmation as to whether it's good or not. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-ERik-

I agree, i've seen it too. Tony Scott completely lost it and Harry Gregson Williams has nothing more to say in this genre.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Have not watched it yet but just bought Monsters on DVD on the basis of reviews at the time of this sci-fi movie release. Was this a good move?

Bad buy. They don't deserve the money. Here are my comments from earlier in this thread:

plindboe wrote
    Monsters

The trailer lied. This isn't the ultimate big monster, horror movie. I loved the premise, and the first part of the movie was very promising. But the two main characters, which are likable enough to begin with, though not great actors, just talk and talk and talk, until you just want them to shut up. The monsters are ok, but nothing special. They were essentially big walking octopi, which wasn't very imaginative, and the CGI looked like the movie was 15 years old. There was almost no monster action, and the end was a huge letdown. I wish someone would redo this movie, because the basic idea of it was great.

My rating: 3 out of 10

plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Very disappointed to hear that, I was quite looking forward to seeing this.

Me too. I love big monsters! Some people seem to like this movie though; reading about it on the imdb boards. I think it depends on your expectations. If you expect monster mayhem, this will be the biggest letdown ever, simple because all the mayhem seem to occur off-screen. Nothing much happens the entire movie and you expect at least the last ten minutes of the movie to end with a bang, and then [spoiler]the monsters make freaking love!, while the female lead watches them with tears in her eyes, and we, the audience, is supposed to think these creatures are oh so beautiful and misunderstood vomit I guess, in a sense, it did end with a bang, but not the kind of bang I had hoped for.[/spoiler]. Only action you see is a monster picking up a truck. The characters always discover a bunch of dead people afterwards, but we never see any carnage ourselves.

It was not a total waste though. I thought the premise, where the US and mexican governments had sealed off a huge area and were fighting a losing battle to contain the infection was very interesting, and it seemed very real somehow (à la District 9). You could constantly hear fighter jets and helicopters near the infection area, and sometimes hear explosions in the distance, and I thought that gave a great atmosphere.

Still, nothing happened, except for a cheesy love story and an even cheesier moral lesson/political commentary.

Peter slant
  4. I'm not expecting a big monster movie and I have read encouraging things about it. Will give an opinion when I watch it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011
    Watched another episode of Life on Mars. Tim is right about the dialog for sure. Lot's of stuff have gone way over my head just like Calif talk would be to you in Europe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Watched another episode of Life on Mars. Tim is right about the dialog for sure. Lot's of stuff have gone way over my head just like Calif talk would be to you in Europe.

Bro, you're like hella off base. I'm so into that gnarly shit it's like totally sick, dude.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011
    Just finished watching Lost. I'm glad I stuck with it even though I found it way too slow and frustrating at times.

Funny how much one becomes attached to the characters from watching such a long TV show. It will be very weird to see these actors in anything else.

Peter smile