• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. But what's the score like? Silva are releasing a 2CD set of music from the film. I've listened to clips but...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    Functional. Obligatorily "heavy" (as in line with the many, many tragic elements). Themeless. Immemorable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    The Hangman

The generally underestimated Timothy Spall gives a very sincere, heartfelt performance based on the life and career of Albert Pierrepoint, Britain's last public executioner. The dogged, almost naive singlemindedness and dedication to his profession, the changes that are inevitable once his name becomes known due to his involvement in the post-WWII executions, and the way he finally resolves his ever increasing unease with his work are portrayed with love and care. And we get a great (and very moving) insight in that greatest of British traditions: the existence of something can be negated by simply refusing to discuss it.

A small film, not without flaws, but so effectively made and so wonderfully acted that its power outlives its small faults.
    Martin Phipp's score is effective if understated. But that fits the movie.

4 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Mark Gatiss' A History of Horror is being repeated tonight on BBC4 at 11.25pm. I missed the series last time but will watch it this time around.

Damn. I've just realised that the three episodes of this are being shown back-to-back!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011 edited
    Well, Martijn, (on Biutiful) i see that he followed the same formula like all his previous films; for anyone who's familiar with his style, i can imagine this is not actually a big problem?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011
    If you think the man is a genius, you'll like Biutiful.
    If you appreciate good film making, you'll enjoy this film less.

Again: it's not a film utterly devoid of merit.
    I would have probably enjoyed it more on the small screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think he's a genius. But i do enjoy his style smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    127 Hours

Good movie, but I found the music so disruptive and annoying at times that it nearly ruined the entire experience. Isn't this crap nominated for an Oscar?

My rating: 6

Never let me go

Most depressing movie ever. I didn't find it too captivating early on, but the latter part of the movie had a real emotional impact.

My rating: 7

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Watched The Fighter with Bale, Walberg, and Adams. Not impressed at all. Just an updated Rocky with a little more in the way of a dysfunctional family situation. Okay if you can watch it for free but don't pay money.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011
    Martijn, i heard the score to Biutiful today.

Very tiring indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I watched THE TERMINAL yesterday, it would be very easy to pick this film apart but I just sat back and enjoyed a gentle, feel good movie. Very fine score by John Williams too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched nothing. I read and went to bed early. Another year of boycotting the Oscars
    listen to more classical music!
  3. MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS

This really is the only Wong Kar Wai film I've enjoyed and I feel like I want to watch again. I've seen his asian-language films too and this is the only one I felt was wonderfully acted, had an interesting plot and characters, and was too short. Norah Jones' singing was so spot-on for the slow scenes and interesting diversity of characters and their stories. And she's not bad looking either. smile

I saw Ashes of Time, Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, In the Mood for Love and 2046 and none of those did anything to me, 2046 may be the best of the bunch, but this first english-language film did make me feel something else than completely bored or dumbstruck by what the hell is going on.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. I didn't end up watching the horror history show. The 3 back-to-back programmes format put me off at that time of night. And there was something about Mark Gatiss' presentation style that I just didn't enjoy. I may catch it another time.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Last night I watched MASTER and COMMANDER : The Far Side of The World, I think it's a darned superb film and it's a real shame this didn't do great business at the box office, it seems unlikely there'll be a second part ( which it needs ), a real shame. Fantastic cast, superbly directed by Peter Weir and decent score with good use of classical music too.

I agree. I think it should have given RETURN OF THE KING a hearty shove aside and taken out the Oscars in that year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS

This really is the only Wong Kar Wai film I've enjoyed and I feel like I want to watch again. I've seen his asian-language films too and this is the only one I felt was wonderfully acted, had an interesting plot and characters, and was too short. Norah Jones' singing was so spot-on for the slow scenes and interesting diversity of characters and their stories. And she's not bad looking either. smile

I saw Ashes of Time, Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, In the Mood for Love and 2046 and none of those did anything to me, 2046 may be the best of the bunch, but this first english-language film did make me feel something else than completely bored or dumbstruck by what the hell is going on.

That's really interesting. I'm an enormous fan of this director, but even I'd concede that this film is dramatically flat and a bit of a misfire all round, largely due to a poor lead. I like it (that's what fans are for), but I more than understand why people hate it. Perhaps arty Asian cinema is not for you if none of the others -- which contain some of the finest performances in modern cinema -- work for you at all. (Mind you, this is just an opinion of mine!) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011 edited
    Huge fan of the director too and loved that movie. Found it to be simple and human. Considerably much more subdued and emotionally mellow than what he usually does.

I also liked the way they re-arranged a lot of Shigeru Umebayashi's material for previous films for the director. Very spot-on, the whole musical choice, including the songs.
  7. (Not to be a nitpicker, but I'm soundtrack fan so I can't help it - there's just one Shigeru Umebayashi theme re-arranged, actually...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, that one smile Repeated all constantly. Worked great.
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS

That's really interesting. I'm an enormous fan of this director, but even I'd concede that this film is dramatically flat and a bit of a misfire all round, largely due to a poor lead. I like it (that's what fans are for), but I more than understand why people hate it. Perhaps arty Asian cinema is not for you if none of the others -- which contain some of the finest performances in modern cinema -- work for you at all. (Mind you, this is just an opinion of mine!) wink

Don't get me wrong! I love Tony Leung, Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, Maggie Cheung, and all those other A-listers from Asia but just not in this type of film. The main problem I have is that his movies don't have much to tell (to me personally), and the end almost always leaves me wondering what the hell I've just been watching. I know it's about character relationships, but most of the times they're not of the kind I can identify with. The only ones I felt remotely interested in what was happening were Chungking Express and 2046, thanks to the actors, but they're just not something I want to watch again. As for My Blueberry Nights, is has been americanized, europeanized, whateverized so maybe that's why I like it more, and may be interested in watching again.

But give me asian martial arts / action comedies and I'll have a blast. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You do have a point there that Blueberry nights is perhaps his most "westernized" movie to date. But in core it's the same backbone story with what he usually has. Perhaps you should simply admit you don't like asian chicks tongue
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    You do have a point there that Blueberry nights is perhaps his most "westernized" movie to date. But in core it's the same backbone story with what he usually has. Perhaps you should simply admit you don't like asian chicks tongue

But I do dig the chicks!

I just don't dig some of the flicks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011
    THE WAY BACK

Although very long on duration and extremely demanding, it's been way long since i saw a film that made so much sense. Last time i think it was with THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Brilliant film-making and Burkhard Dallwitz approached the material with much respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011
    unfortunately 10.000bc. What a ridiculous piece of utter crap.
  10. Christodoulides wrote

I agree, definitely Emmerich's weakest one
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    THE WAY BACK

Although very long on duration and extremely demanding, it's been way long since i saw a film that made so much sense. Last time i think it was with THERE WILL BE BLOOD. Brilliant film-making and Burkhard Dallwitz approached the material with much respect.

I'm still to see this. It has received very little attention overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree, definitely Emmerich's weakest one

It's hideous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE WAY BACK

I'm still to see this. It has received very little attention overall.

Ditto. I bought my brother-in-law the book for Christmas for the sole purpose of borrowing it after he'd read it, but sadly so far he hasn't. Look forward to seeing the film but I'm sure it's disappeared from cinemas now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Never let me go

Very slow and somber. Wanted to rate it a 5 as I saw it, but the end made quite an emotional impact and I upgraded my rating to a 7. It certainly deserves the saddest movie ever award.

You don't know Jack

Saw it with the gf after it was mentioned in this thread. Must admit I found it rather boring though, but I don't regret watching it. Al Pacino did a mean Dr. Death.

My rating: 5

The sweet hereafter

Sloooooooooooooow. It was all kinda interesting though, and never poorly done. Ian Holm was very likable. I don't regret watching it as I'm sure it will make me appreciate Mychael Danna's low-key and rather sounding unique score more.

My rating: 5

Shallow grave

Really good movie. Unlikable characters, but you can't help liking them after a while. Nice twist at the end.

My rating: 8

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Never let me go

Very slow and somber. Wanted to rate it a 5 as I saw it, but the end made quite an emotional impact and I upgraded my rating to a 7. It certainly deserves the saddest movie ever award.

I want to see this - read the book on holiday, which is A-grade. And I like the soundtrack a lot.