• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well I can't stay away from it while watching, but trust me the score itself will never damage my brain cells. They're already fucked up beyond repair anyway. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    I can't comment on Social Network above what I've already said.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched Carrie again last night paying particular attention to the music and I came to the conclusion that Pino did a fine job. The movie went down a notch however. The symbolism was way over the top.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it's one of the better adaptations of a Stephen King story, the music by Pino is superb.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I love Carrie ! Like Tim said , this is one of the better adaptations .
    Sissy Spacek steals the film and Pino's music is top notch !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    I've never been able to see the charm of John Wayne. He didn't appear to have much of a range either, unlike Jeff Bridges.

Peter smile

Bridges is an excellent actor. Wayne is an excellent icon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    I think it's one of the better adaptations of a Stephen King story, the music by Pino is superb.

Piper Laurie was outstanding
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It should have said music by Pino and Bernard
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000

I kinda enjoyed this one. Don't hurt me.

My rating: 5

Peter smile
  2. I haven't seen all of this film Peter, but I did enjoy the book.

I may have diverted all your pain!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Are you men on the right pills?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011 edited
    Just watched the latest Alan Partridge webisode. Best of the bunch so far. Utterly hilarious. Have you been watching them Alan? Tim?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    confused

Where? WHERE??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Last night I watched MASTER and COMMANDER : The Far Side of The World, I think it's a darned superb film and it's a real shame this didn't do great business at the box office, it seems unlikely there'll be a second part ( which it needs ), a real shame. Fantastic cast, superbly directed by Peter Weir and decent score with good use of classical music too.
  3. LSH wrote
    Just watched the latest Alan Partridge webisode. Best of the bunch so far. Utterly hilarious. Have you been watching them Alan? Tim?

I didn't know there were any!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Funny. I've just tried to view it on my phone but it has been blocked by Fosters on copyright grounds. I'm not in the right country! Is this for real?

Maybe if I drive the 10 or so mile into England do you think it might work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote
    Last night I watched MASTER and COMMANDER : The Far Side of The World, I think it's a darned superb film and it's a real shame this didn't do great business at the box office, it seems unlikely there'll be a second part ( which it needs ), a real shame. Fantastic cast, superbly directed by Peter Weir and decent score with good use of classical music too.

I saw it only once in 2004 I think, and never again after that. It was good, but not that good I was aching to see it again. Normally I have a thing for Weir films: Fearless is one of my alltime favourites and The Truman Show is nearly as great, both I've seen multiple times now and I'm always dumbstruck by the emotional power of those films. With M&C, not so much. Maybe I should see it again in top circumstances (hi-def & surround sound).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I didn't know there were any!

I mentioned it a while back but you must have missed it:

LSH wrote
    Just finished watching the first episode of Alan Partridge's new web series, 'Mid Morning Matters', which follows Alan's Norfolk radio show through a kind of 'live video stream' of the studio.

I'm sure Tim and Alan will be interested in this if they're not aware of it already.

Here's the link to the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrpgmJxx0E&

Do your best to check it out, it's brilliant!
  5. Watching now. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

I saw it only once in 2004 I think, and never again after that. It was good, but not that good I was aching to see it again. Normally I have a thing for Weir films: Fearless is one of my alltime favourites and The Truman Show is nearly as great, both I've seen multiple times now and I'm always dumbstruck by the emotional power of those films. With M&C, not so much. Maybe I should see it again in top circumstances (hi-def & surround sound).

Very good films too but they don't float my boat ( pun intended ) as much as Master And Commander, I've always been into ( good ) historical dramas and that's why I like it so much, on the down side, and as I've already said, it doesn't help that the film is left with unfinished business and it's unlikely it'll be seen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

I thank eee sir! biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Been catching up on them, a mixed bag but some great LOL moments. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011
    Just to let you know, a new one is put on YouTube every Friday but I think there's only three left to come.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll be following.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The latest one (episode 9) is my favourite so far. There's more than a few echoes of classic moments from the earlier series but it's still brilliant and beautifully exhibits the "complete arsehole" side of Coogan's character.
  6. Mark Gatiss' A History of Horror is being repeated tonight on BBC4 at 11.25pm. I missed the series last time but will watch it this time around.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    It's well worthwhile, Alan, a very good series that I wish had been longer.
  7. Watching Despicable Me again for the third time in two days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2011
    Biutiful

From the director of 21 Grams and Babel comes this ponderous drama, whose saving grace is not the director's desperate need to expound drama by tolling one heavy handed tragedy on top of another (thereby creating two or three utterly unnecessary and timeconsuming additional storylines), but the powerhouse performance by Javier Bardem, who plays the lead character Uxbal, who is carving out a living for himself on the seedy side of the Bareclona backstreets.

Too long by at least 45 minutes, it is a sad testament to a director who doesn't understand when to stop or what to cut, which ultimately damages the film and its sincerity (and the viewer's empathy).

But even Bardem's electrifying presence (helped in no small part by relative new comer Maricel Álvarez, playing his estranged, bipolar wife -incidentally, she's 49, and has the body of a 25 year old. shocked Much respect to her!) can't keep this whale afloat. It's all too much, too overwrought and too long. The seediness and the effect on his children. The wife being bipolar and getting into bed with his brother. The illegal Chinese and their fate. The illegal Africans and their fate. The illness. Any ONE of these aspects would have made a movie.
    All of them TOGETHER sink it.

2.5 out of 5