• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. See Tim. There are several there that would go on my list...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    Ah, films I could (and have) watch over and over again:

Apocalypse Now
    The Godfather 1 & 2
    Patton
    The Conversation
    The Man Who Would Be King
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Searchers
    Dr Strangelove
    The Shining
    North by Northwest
    Goodfellas
    Charade
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Alien
    Chinatown
    Goldfinger
    From Russia With Love
    Dances With Wolves
    Die Hard
    Airplane
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Avalon
    (dare I say...)Avatar
  2. I suppose all my DVDs are films I want to watch again and again?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tom these things happen in real life. Some of what's portrayed in that film is too mild in comparison to what really goes on. Closing our eyes and turning the other way doesn't make it disappear. You can ignore the giant elephant on the table next to you (or was it the giant squid?) all you like but he's still there wink

I think that's besides the point, to be honest.
    Just because something happens, do you need to show it?
    And if so, why?

Indeed. There were also several scenes in the movie where I noticed cars. I mean, sure they exist in reality but what's the artistic value of showing us cars? There was even a scene where I noticed a dog. This nearly made me upchuck. Dogs exist of course, but do they really have to show us dogs? It's like they just crammed the movie with realistic things for no apparent reason at all.

Peter angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom this afternoon. I'd forgotten how bad I find this film. Willie and Short Round are such annoying characters, some of the effects are quite ropey and I don't really like the storyline - particularly coming straight after Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I find it just as brilliant as the other two. Not a dull moment.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited
    X-men

Great movie. Entertaining from start to finish.

My rating: 8

X-men 2 (Not being retarded, I refuse to call it X2)

Entertaining as well, though not as good as the first one.

My rating: 6

X-men 3

This is one of those movies where I have a hard time explaining exactly what went wrong but where it didn't really work. It seemed well executed and had some interesting storylines that should have had an impact, but still I ended up unimpressed and a bit bored. The score was nice though, and way more impressive than either Kamen's or Ottman's.

My rating: 5

Dogma

I didn't enjoy it the first time I saw it, but this time I found it kinda funny. I can see why it's a bit of a cult-movie to some.

My rating: 7

Winter's bone

Very rednecky, realistic and well-made movie.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011 edited
    Films I can see again and again and again and again and ...

- ALIENS, favourite film ever, will never change
    - The other Alien films, whenever I want to watch Aliens I watch the others too
    - All of James Cameron's films, except Piranha II cheesy
    - Most of Steven Spielberg's films
    - Most of the Star Trek films
    - Star Wars original trilogy
    - Lethal Weapon 3 & 4
    - Back to the Future trilogy
    - Fearless (Jeff Bridges)
    - Carlito's Way
    - Contact
    - Braveheart
    - Legends of the Fall
    - Heat
    - The Big Lebowski

There are more but those are some of my favourites.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    George Gently, the first episode. Really fine British television and definitely something America couldn't do
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    America can't do fine television?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    America can't compete with Masterpiece Theater. They probably feel it cost too much money to make the episodes and not enough $$$$$$ in return as well as not enough viewer interest.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm not even going to get into this with you.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    Just my opinion
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011 edited
    Just saw The king's speech.

Colin Firth deserves the Oscar and I'm confident he'll get it. I felt sympathy with him the entire movie, what a performance. I thought Helena Bonham Carter was perfect in this movie as well. Geoffrey Rush was great as well, but he's basically just doing his usual thing so wouldn't think he deserves the statuette.

My rating: 8

And Flatliners

Great movie. Newton Howard occasionally soars (especially the end piece). It was also nice in this movie that there was a reasonable skeptic and atheist (played by Kevin Bacon) who was openminded and caring, and a true skeptic who was open to contrary evidence, instead of the usual Hollywood portrayal of atheists as closeminded and heartless a-holes.

Btw, I really dislike Oliver Platt. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with him where I actually liked him.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Tom these things happen in real life. Some of what's portrayed in that film is too mild in comparison to what really goes on. Closing our eyes and turning the other way doesn't make it disappear. You can ignore the giant elephant on the table next to you (or was it the giant squid?) all you like but he's still there wink

And if so, why?

Indeed. There were also several scenes in the movie where I noticed cars. I mean, sure they exist in reality but what's the artistic value of showing us cars? There was even a scene where I noticed a dog. This nearly made me upchuck. Dogs exist of course, but do they really have to show us dogs? It's like they just crammed the movie with realistic things for no apparent reason at all.

Peter angry

Erm, sorry, I may have misunderstood your point, but did you just equate the presence of dogs and cars to sexual exploitation and sociopathic sadism? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    plindboe wrote

And Flatliners

Great movie. Newton Howard occasionally soars (especially the end piece). It was also nice in this movie that there was a reasonable skeptic and atheist (played by Kevin Bacon) who was openminded and caring, and a true skeptic who was open to contrary evidence, instead of the usual Hollywood portrayal of atheists as closeminded and heartless a-holes.

Btw, I really dislike Oliver Platt. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with him where I actually liked him.

Peter smile

One of Schumacher's better pictures and one I've immediately liked way back when it came out. The at times wonderful score still hasn't been released, and it really needs to be. Its existence on bootleg doesn't do it justice.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the old "you are not a father you don't know" argument i find it completely stupid, i am sorry. Just because i don't have my own kid yet does that mean that i can't have a social opinion? And when i do have my own kid (time and other factors and deities permitting) or my own daughter or son, she or he is going to do some stuff i won't like and will probably never find out, no matter how much a pouritanist bastard i might be. And that counts for almost all fathers and their daughters and sons, i am afraid. In fact, most social cases suggest these days that the more strict and puritanist you are, the more jiggy your kids are going to get with it, behind your back.

I would like to see your source for that ridiculous statement.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    plindboe wrote
    Just saw The king's speech.

Colin Firth deserves the Oscar and I'm confident he'll get it. I felt sympathy with him the entire movie, what a performance. I thought Helena Bonham Carter was perfect in this movie as well. Geoffrey Rush was great as well, but he's basically just doing his usual thing so wouldn't think he deserves the statuette.

My rating:

Peter smile

Where do you think it failed Peter? I'm more of putting this in a 10 category. This was a film that got an 'r' rating that perhaps kept some people away from it. The one rough language part was an important part of the film.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And if so, why?

Peter angry

Erm, sorry, I may have misunderstood your point, but did you just equate the presence of dogs and cars to sexual exploitation and sociopathic sadism? confused

Some things I just don't have to see. They happen I agree but I don't have to see a snuff film to know that it really goes on everyday. This country is powerless to do anything because it is happening in Mexico.
    Thomas
  3. sdtom wrote
    I would like to see your source for that ridiculous statement.
    Thomas

Some statements on how being more strict can lead to more rebellious children:

http://www.ahaparenting.com/parenting-t … -parenting

But I can probably find lots of evidence against this argument as well as more for the argument as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I trust my teacher friend of 33 years. She teaches 4th grade and has a vast amount of practical experience with both the children and the parents.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    George Gently, the first episode. Really fine British television and definitely something America couldn't do

And there's American television that Britain couldn't do. Can't we just celebrate the best that comes from both?!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. sdtom wrote
    I trust my teacher friend of 33 years. She teaches 4th grade and has a vast amount of practical experience with both the children and the parents.
    Thomas

Experience is always a good indicator. But this is such a minefield to try and to try and make generalisations is very difficult. Our two children are just starting their teenage years and both are completely different. Rachel is much better behaved than David is. We'd like to think that we have brought them up the same way but David's experience has been much different to Rachel's.

As for how external people see children and how parents report their children's behaviour, again it's difficult to say what's true and what's rose-tinted.

David's very well behaved when out in public but less well behaved at home (probably trying to see what he can get away with in a safe environment?). I'm not saying he's going to be some sort of criminal in later life (let's hope not anyway) but at home he's very lippy and has an attitude. But we'd rather have it this way than him being more a tearaway outside the home.

It's complicated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's complicated.

Bingo! Each child is different and each child needs different styles of parenting. You CANNOT generalize this.

-Erik-
  5. Our experience with our two attests to the fact that it is complicated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There are some parameters that you can generalize.

1....The parents need a certain level of involvement. None of this 70+hours a week working for both of them. Better to have less and be able to offer yourself. Far more important than giving them things. Your love and understanding is priceless.
    2....Certain rules have to be followed with consequences if they don't. Children appreciate boundaries.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    There are some parameters that you can generalize.

1....The parents need a certain level of involvement. None of this 70+hours a week working for both of them. Better to have less and be able to offer yourself. Far more important than giving them things. Your love and understanding is priceless.

Maybe back in the stone age this works but in order to make ends meet both parents have to be working. And in my field there is no such thing as 9-5. We get roughly 3 hours a day with our kids during the work week. Weekends are all about the kids unless something else pops up, which happens a lot. We dedicate as much time with the kids that we can but we like having a roof over our heads and food on the table so in order to make sure that happens we need to work stupid hours.

sdtom wrote
    2....Certain rules have to be followed with consequences if they don't. Children appreciate boundaries.

Generally, yes, but then again some kids take to consequences and rules differently than others. Like Indiana Jones says, "I'm making this up as I go."

-Erik-
  6. Bodyguards and Assassins (2009)

Rather good movie about a group of people who defend a powerful man in order to create a revolution, thereby destroying the corrupt Qing dynasty. But they will not let this happen so easily and send a bunch of Assassins to stop this man. The focus of this movie is not put on the man who changes the fate of China, but on the men who swore to protect him. The first part is slow but delivers us the chance to fall in love with the characters who will ultimately defend him. The second part is the whole assassination sequence and here is where the movie delivers us good solid action but above all very good drama.

I was expecting a Kung fu movie, especially because Donnie Yen is in it, but I discovered that he was but a small player in what is a good dramatic (action) movie. Even though the begin doesn't show it, after a while it's pretty clear how the storyline goes (something that's not always the case with these Eastern movies) and you'll fall in love with some of these characters rather easily.

Again, don't watch this for the kung fu, but expect something deeper. Once I did, i quite liked it.

7 out of 10

--------------------------------------

The Last Starfighter (1984)

It's pretty unbelievable that I never saw this movie before. It's one of those cult classics of the early 80's and looks incredibly dated now, but the charm surely survived after all this time. The plot's pretty simple, a boy breaks the record of a video game called "The Last Starfighter" and discovers that the game is in fact very real. The people who designed the game now call upon his help to stop an imminent threat.

As said, the effects look incredibly cheap and the plot somewhat sounds the same like the first Tron, but it does have a couple of nice things, not the least the typical 80's charm and the wonderful score by Craig Safan (I always knew the theme). The last 15 minutes deliver me the typical 80's charm you just don't find anymore today in movies.

pleasant movie, I can't decide whether I give it 6 or 7
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I see too much of the seamy side of life. What do you do with a 10 year old that kills his mother? Maureen my good friend teaches in the barrio and what I hear is so tragic. If I had to do it all over again I would have worked a little less. My schedule was 8AM-8PM Monday thru Saturday. I had Sunday off.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Experience is one thing; but this area and its studies do proceed, evolve and change. Nothing radical on extreme on either end, is advocated in the modern techniques and studies. Everything depends. The world and science is changing. Just because we learned something 50 years ago, that doesn't mean it can't be changed or improved in the future.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.