• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011
    There's nothing like a bit of book burning wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good ol' christian fun.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bring back feeding to the lions I say.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. That was not so fictional.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    I loved the original so when Tron Legacy is available to rent I will see it!

BTW, say Piranha 3D last night... Tom, stay far, far away from this one.

However, I like boobies, over the top gore and the simply gorgeous Jessica Szohr... so I had a blast with it! My wife loved it, too!

-Erik-

Thank you for the heads up Erik
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched a documentary last night called The Cove. It was about the japanese and their killing of 23,000 dolphins every year. That doesn't include the ones that are shipped to theme parks etc. It was quite sad especially given the fact that our government to my knowledge does nothing about it. It is really an eye opening film.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I watched a documentary last night called The Cove. It was about the japanese and their killing of 23,000 dolphins every year. That doesn't include the ones that are shipped to theme parks etc. It was quite sad especially given the fact that our government to my knowledge does nothing about it. It is really an eye opening film.
    Thomas

It's absolutely horrible what they're doing over there. That's just nog killing those animals, it's making them suffer for hours and die a slow horrible death. And I can't understand most Japanese people don't even know what happens there. I haven't seen the documentary yet but I most certainly will, however I've seen a lot of clips and whatnot from the 'Cove guardians', people who continue to film covertly and let the world know the atrocities taking place. I just signed a petition in my country to stop this mass slaughtering.

Stuff like this makes me wish that the era of mankind comes to an end soon. Let the animals live on this earth in prosperity and without fear of man doing what they do so well: destroying. crazy

I take it 'The Cove' is very graphic and doesn't beat around the bush, Tom? So I'd better prepare myself before watching it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I most certainly would prepare yourself for the watch.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've seen it and it's disgusting and barbaric.
  2. Just wait until the American government realises you can get oil from whales...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Too late, there's none left.
  3. The sad thing is the next generations will pay for our actions. We're slowly destroying nature and all that encompasses, the future looks very sad indeed. sad

I'm glad there are such films made by very courageous people that try to change something, but will they succeed in doing so?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I haven't seen it but I did read about it and it's disgusting. Worse still, just one of countless examples of human idiocy destroying the natural world. It's one of the very few things I feel extremely passionate about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just saw all the episodes of Fawlty Towers. Bloody brilliant. The only one I found a bit lackluster was the first episode, which I rated a 7, but the other eleven episodes all get a 10-rating.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Absolutely brilliant, i am slow though, on the 3rd episode. Friggin brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For me nothing beats 'The Germans' episode but yeah, all are fantastic, I agree with Peter too, the first episode is quite weak but still funnier than nearly 100% of todays shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Weak? I laughed my ass off!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

But I was comparing it with it's own incredibly high standards, I still laughed out loud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    For me nothing beats 'The Germans' episode but yeah, all are fantastic, I agree with Peter too, the first episode is quite weak but still funnier than nearly 100% of todays shows.

The germans is great, but so are The builders, The hotel inspectors, Gourmet night, Communication problems, The psychiatrist and Basil the rat. These 7 are my favourites, and I can't really choose a favourite among them.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

But I was comparing it with it's own incredibly high standards, I still laughed out loud.

Indeed, it's only in the comparison with the other eleven episodes it pales. It's still hilarious to watch.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    The Ugly American starring Marlon Brando. While the film was not nearly as powerful as the book it was still very well done. If you've not read the book get it as it is a real eye opener.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Did anyone catch Tamsin Greig's swearing rant at the security guard that ended tonight's episode of Episodes? Funniest thing I've seen in a while!

Found a clip of this rant from Tamsin. It still makes me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5a8zZgwfDo

The couple have moved to the US to make a US version (starring Matt LeBlanc) of their comedy show. They have been put up in a gated community and the guard never recognised them, always asking who they are there to see. They've had a bad day at the studio and Tamsin's character just "snaps".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Tourette's !!! biggrin
  6. Timmer wrote

The Germans is brilliant, but Mrs. Richards (Communication Problems) and The Psychiatrist are equally brilliant

perhaps my least favorite one is Basil the Rat
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Gourmet Night is a great episode too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Did anyone catch Tamsin Greig's swearing rant at the security guard that ended tonight's episode of Episodes? Funniest thing I've seen in a while!

Found a clip of this rant from Tamsin. It still makes me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5a8zZgwfDo

The couple have moved to the US to make a US version (starring Matt LeBlanc) of their comedy show. They have been put up in a gated community and the guard never recognised them, always asking who they are there to see. They've had a bad day at the studio and Tamsin's character just "snaps".

Such a darkly painful ( and cringing ) end to Monday nights episode.
  8. Yes it was!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    AGORA

I hadn't heard the story of Hypatia before. Fascinating character, with great ideas (though the fact that she had slaves was a bit off) and so sad to see how this all went. The movie certainly is not ambiguous in its message of fundamentalism and religion, and how easy it is to get brainwashed by it. I'm sure it's all exaggerated, but then, sanity surely has never been a top priority by these folks, so why make it any more difficult. Power through religion was the goal, and it's rather depressing to realize it still is playing a large role in politics (and society).

Did the burning of the books really took place, or was this just a reference to the Dark Ages, or at least the start of it? The movie reminded me of this demotivator

While religion certainly can be as destructive as we see in that movie, no one knows for sure what happened to the library of Alexandria or even when. Likely it was dismantled over time due to various conflicts over the centuries. <- this is my impression from a bit of online research, but I'm no historian by any means.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

*sniff

I found that one hilarious.

Peter smile
  9. plindboe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

*sniff

I found that one hilarious.

Peter smile

Probably because it is our least viewed FT episode, maybe we should watch it again, to see if we missed something. smile